What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Positioning System

bkmerrill

Placing the order for my fuse kit (building this prior to QB wings). What do y?all recommend on the flap positioning sensor option? Seems I recall seeing an aftermarket actuator/positioner option? What does everyone else do with this?

Get the aftermarket unit. It?s more expense, but in my opinion, it?s worth it.

http://www.phaviation.com/

The position sensor is built in, so you don?t have to mess with the Ray Allen unit. The shaft doesn?t rotate like the unit provided by Van?s, which eliminates having to safety wire to prevent turning.

Me too

Get the aftermarket unit. It?s more expense, but in my opinion, it?s worth it.

http://www.phaviation.com/

The position sensor is built in, so you don?t have to mess with the Ray Allen unit. The shaft doesn?t rotate like the unit provided by Van?s, which eliminates having to safety wire to prevent turning.

Imsecond what Bob says. Besides the position sensor it also has electrical limit switches and no grease issue in the motor.

650 Hours total time

I have 650 hours on my RV10 since completion in 2014.

I have the Vans supplied flap actuator and control system.

It has worked perfectly.

So I?ve gone thru a number if iterations on the whole flap system. As notes above they pretty much all work but take different approaches. I started with the stock motor and a Ray Allen POS-12 position sensor that fed my Vertical Power VP-200 electrical system that had a built-in flap controller. The system worked perfectly. Then my VP-200 died and I had to buy a stand-alone controller and opted for the FPS-Plus system. Unfortunately I?ve had trouble since then with the position sensor. I finally threw in the towel and opted for getting the PHAviation motor vs futzing around with the sensor.

I think that the POS12 is a pretty simple system overall. I was going to use the PH aviation motor but I wrote the manufacturer and it wasn?t entirely compatible with the VPX Pro so I thought that I would spare the expense and use the stick motor which was already paid for.

I think that the POS12 is a pretty simple system overall. I was going to use the PH aviation motor but I wrote the manufacturer and it wasn?t entirely compatible with the VPX Pro so I thought that I would spare the expense and use the stick motor which was already paid for.

It works just fine with the VPX Pro. I?ve been using with a VPX Pro for over a year and a half.

What do you believe the incompatibility may be?

.......What do you believe the incompatibility may be?

From Pat at Ph Aviation in response to my query.

?You?ll notice in the flaps section of the VP-X manual it says that actuators with built-in stops don?t work with the VP-X. So, where we have run into a VP-X installation, we recommend running the flaps outside of the VP-X if you want to use our actuator. Of course, the VP-X can do basically the same thing using the feedback potentiometer as ours does with the auto stop. There are many options for flaps control including the GAD 27 if you?re installing a Garmin panel. But the VP-X can do the same thing with the stock flap motor.?

From Pat at Ph Aviation in response to my query.

?You?ll notice in the flaps section of the VP-X manual it says that actuators with built-in stops don?t work with the VP-X. So, where we have run into a VP-X installation, we recommend running the flaps outside of the VP-X if you want to use our actuator. Of course, the VP-X can do basically the same thing using the feedback potentiometer as ours does with the auto stop. There are many options for flaps control including the GAD 27 if you?re installing a Garmin panel. But the VP-X can do the same thing with the stock flap motor.?

I will have to follow up with both Pat and Chad to understand the exact reasoning for that statement. It must be in a newer release of the manual, since I installed mine quite a while ago. I?ve been flying for over six years.

With the the old flap motor motor, if the pos-12 slipped, and the flap motor ran to stop, it would trip the breaker. This poses a safety issue. A go around isn?t a good to to reset a breaker. I found I had to adjust my pos-12 once or twice a year to minimize that issue. This is probably due to my particular installation, not any of the technology use.

Even with the new flap controller, I don?t let it run to the stop. I measure the start and stop point, then set the stop points appropriately. I?ve not had any issues with Pat?s flap motor and the VPX Pro using this method. It?s worked perfectly.

I had the FPS plus installed and loved it and worked flawlessly. One option that it has which I have not seen with any other flap position system that it will also adjust your elevator trim based on your flap settings. The one second push to retract all the way is also very nice for the go around situation which again adjust your elevator trim so you won't need to touch anything.

It would be nice if you reported back once you have the info.

We have heard back from a few of our customers that our flap actuator works fine with the VP-X Pro in spite of the statement in their manual. I need to speak to Chad to find out why that statement is in there. I'll report back.

We have heard back from a few of our customers that our flap actuator works fine with the VP-X Pro in spite of the statement in their manual. I need to speak to Chad to find out why that statement is in there. I'll report back.

Thanks Pat. I look forward to hearing what you learn.

Okay, I think I have some more information that might be helpful. Please read paragraph 5.20a of the VP-X Pro installation manual, page 38.

The VP-X folks do not support the limit switches and they recommend that if you use limit switches, that you operate outside of the VP-X. Use the VP-X only to power the flaps. However, they go on to say that the limit switches can be used with some "risk and trade-offs". I believe the concern is that the VP-X sets the full up and full down positions using the internal potentiometer and not the limit switches. So I suppose you could set these limits just prior to the end of the stroke in each direction. They caution that due to inconsistencies of the pot, however, it's possible that the limit switch could be reached before the set pot position. I would look at it as the internal limit switches are acting as a backup to the VP-X full up and full down set points. The internal limit switches will automatically stop the flaps when the full stoke is reached up or down. Their concern is that the flap motor might run on, which would be the case with external limit switches, but our limit switches are internal and can't be deactivated or bypassed. I don't see the problem, frankly, but I'll discuss with Chad and report back.

It would be nice if you reported back once you have the info.

Pat?s statement shares my experience with both products.

I actually had more issues with the old flap motor and the pos-12 causing the flap motors continuing to run and popping breakers. I tried three different pos-12s over several years concerned about pot drift. I would also recalibrate the VPX several times a year.

Since swapping the motor out with Pat?s, I?ve not tripped the breaker once in over a year. My experience is that Pat?s internal pot is more consistent and reliable than the pos-12.

Since Pat is reaching out to Chad, I won?t duplicate the effort.

Hey folks, Pat and I spoke this morning, and I think we can make an adjustment to the install manual after Pat and I do a little more "tinkering" with the two products.

Marc Ausman would be the authority on the reason limit switches were not compatible back when the VP-X was designed and released almost 10 years ago, but I do believe we can find a way to have the PH system work with the VP-X consistently to add another option for controlling the flaps.

Bob, good to hear you've had good success with the PH system for quite a while now...and I may lean on you a bit to help with some feedback.

Good stuff. :cool:

Bob, good to hear you've had good success with the PH system for quite a while now...and I may lean on you a bit to help with some feedback.

Good stuff. :cool:

Chad, let me know what data you would like. I?d be happy to supply it.

We?ll need to work on Pat to get him to join us at the Black Otter next year at OSH.

Bob

Thanks everyone for the help. Will plan on the PH flap actuator as it sounds like it will work with the VP, which I was also planning. VAF comes through again. Will keep an eye on this thread for any updates. Fuse kit should be here in late-Jan/early-Feb!

Chad, let me know what data you would like. I?d be happy to supply it.

We?ll need to work on Pat to get him to join us at the Black Otter next year at OSH.

Bob

Thanks Bob! And definitely on getting Pat to the Otter next year!:cool:

I guess I better start making plans to go!

Apologies to the OP for getting a little off topic, but getting Pat and Chad together in person would be a good thing.

I?ll let you in on the conversation. I first met Chad about a decade ago, when he and another RV?er gave my son and I a ride to the Black Otter for dinner. There is a group of RV?ers that make the Black Otter an annual event during OSH. We?ve both been regular attendees of the event for awhile. Usually there are about 15-20 regulars in attendance. Your are very welcomed to join the gang next year at OSH. Be forewarned, if you don?t enjoy massive amounts of prime rib, it may not be the place for you. :D

http://www.theblackottersupperclub.com/menu.html

lXODtRr.jpg

20160727_190630.jpg

20160727_190145.jpg

Clarrification

Just trying to confirm that the PH will work with VPX. Planning on replacing my flap motor instead of rigging a sensor, but a planning on the VPX.

Just trying to confirm that the PH will work with VPX. Planning on replacing my flap motor instead of rigging a sensor, but a planning on the VPX.

Like I mentioned, it?s been in my RV-10 connected to a VPX Pro for over a year and half. It?s worked as advertised and I?ve had absolutely no issues with it.

Back