What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tab Bend Detail of left elevator skin

Anna

Hello All!

I?m a little afraid of bending the taps of my left elevator (E-701-L) where the trim tap comes in? It seems that the taps of the elevator are too deep for bending them in, so should I just trim them a little bit?

And does anybody have other helpful knowledge on the left elevator tabs? I won?t make any mistake, because a new order to Germany is so expensive?

Thank you very much for your help!
Best wishes
Anna

I plan on cutting them off and fabricating ribets to install in lieu of bending the tabs and screwing up. If you search riblets, you can take a look at that option and see if it is something you would consider instead.

Bending tabs

The tabs aren't that difficult to bend. Get a couple of pieces of red oak and clamp the skin in the middle. Start the bend by hand using a piece of wood as a pusher. To finish take the rivet gun with a flat set (Mushroom set) and work the the bend down to 90 degrees. The pressure for the rivet gun should be down low like 20-25 psi. Good Luck

Okay! Thank you guys!

I will just try it, and if I fail, I could still put a rib in there? Am I right?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Best wishes,
anna

I currently am not to that step yet, but my friend tried to bend it and failed in result he just went with the rib idea.

Just make sure your bending block is nice and square (sides perpendicular to edges). I didn't realize it until it was too late, but mine was bowed across the grain, and I ended up with the top and bottom bends offset slightly spanwise. The bends themselves look fine, but the gap at the bottom is 3/32", and the top is 1/4". New parts are coming with the wing kit...

DSCN3264.JPG

I did the rib on the elevator and it turned out OK. I did however bend the tabs on the trim skin with no real issues. I think I may get away with being a member of the 1 trim tab club yet.

Here are some of the details.

2011-11-22-08.09.50-575x432.jpg

Last edited:
Back