What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AEIO-540-EXP in RV-10?

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
I have located a nearly new AEIO-540-EXP (Thunderbolt) 320 hp engine for a good price. I did a little searching on VAF to determine suitability in an RV-10. It appears the angle valve engine is too heavy, too powerful and would require extensive induction and cowl mods to work in an RV-10. Is this correct or are there angle valve IO-540's out there flying in RV-10's?

Krea Ellis
DA20-A1 Katana
RV-10 - collecting kits and parts from coast to coast for a build

I have located a nearly new AEIO-540-EXP (Thunderbolt) 320 hp engine for a good price. I did a little searching on VAF to determine suitability in an RV-10. It appears the angle valve engine is too heavy, too powerful and would require extensive induction and cowl mods to work in an RV-10. Is this correct or are there angle valve IO-540's out there flying in RV-10's?

Krea Ellis
DA20-A1 Katana
RV-10 - collecting kits and parts from coast to coast for a build

I know of one, but he isnt on VAF. It did take extensive cowl work. He doesn't recommend anyone following in his footsteps.

AEIO-540

I assume these are the same Thunderbolt engines with about 15 hours since new. The price was right, but all indications are an angle valve 540 is not suitable for an RV-10.

From the pics I saw that is a parallel valve engine. I advised a guy against it. If it is a parallel valve engine making 320HP, the TBO must be low due to some crazy high compression among other things.

AEIO-540

If they are low time, parallel head Thunderbolt engines, they are probably engines from Red Bull. Thunderbolt built all of the Red Bull engines last year, and it may be one of the ones that were sent back to Lycoming for one reason or another. Part of the deal was that a competitor could send their engine back to Red Bull if they felt there was "any issue" whatsoever. I think I remember hearing that something like 7 engines were sent back. If that is the case, they are most certainly 10:1 compression which will give the engine 1/2 of the TBO. Even more important is that those engines have a big main, angle head crankshaft that weighs substantially more than the standard parallel head, small main crankshaft, but I can't remember the exact weight difference.

If they are low time, parallel head Thunderbolt engines, they are probably engines from Red Bull. Thunderbolt built all of the Red Bull engines last year, and it may be one of the ones that were sent back to Lycoming for one reason or another. Part of the deal was that a competitor could send their engine back to Red Bull if they felt there was "any issue" whatsoever. I think I remember hearing that something like 7 engines were sent back. If that is the case, they are most certainly 10:1 compression which will give the engine 1/2 of the TBO. Even more important is that those engines have a big main, angle head crankshaft that weighs substantially more than the standard parallel head, small main crankshaft, but I can't remember the exact weight difference.

Thanks very much. Apparently, these engines were built for some sort of airship project that was mothballed. The details are sketchy and the middle man selling them does not know too much about them. The claims of 15 hours TT are apparently inaccurate and the logbooks scarce of detail. The data plate on the engine indicates 320hp and they supposedly have 10.5:1 pistons, so the hp claim is a bit questionable.

Last edited:
AEIO-540

Thanks for posting. I got several calls within a few days of posting that reply and heard the story about the engines. Not saying they wouldn't be a good deal for someone, but as always caveat emptor.

AEIO-540 260HP

I have located an AEIO-540 260HP. How difficult and expensive would be a conversion to IO-540 D4A5?

The aerobatic version (D4B5) features the AEROBATIC KIT, 1200 series impulse coupl. magnetos and 28v ALT. Do I miss something?

thanks,

Last edited:
Aeio540exp question from damaged aeros blimp

Hello,
The aeio540exp 320hp thunderbolt engine off the aeros blimp popped up for sale again. I was wondering if anyone can recall any details about it. Same deal as people posted on this thread.
Claims 15 hours on it. A world War 2 hangar collapsed on the front of the blimp and destroyed it. Guy claims aeros gave him the engine and he is an employee. No receipt, no log books, guy knows nothing about it. It's in Chatsworth California. Have any details from the past? Looks like a prop strike motor that may be good for a rebuild., but I'm assuming the crank is bent or some other issue is why it didn't sell in 2015. Claims he has had it for a month which is fishy seeing as someone obviously tried selling in 2015.... Wishing I knew someone in Cali to inspect it and verify it even exists.

What information about the hours on it was sketchy? Anybody know anything?

I have located an AEIO-540 260HP. How difficult and expensive would be a conversion to IO-540 D4A5?

The aerobatic version (D4B5) features the AEROBATIC KIT, 1200 series impulse coupl. magnetos and 28v ALT. Do I miss something?

thanks,

It is the AEIO that makes it an aerobatic engine. The only difference between an D4A5 and D4B5 is Bendix 1200 mags instead of Slick mags. I have the D4B5. Only starter and alternator determine voltage..many engines come without alternator, so not costly to change to 14 V.
Without logs, I would pass on the engine. You would need to verify AD compliance for every AD on the engine, etc. etc. Any responsible rebuild will have logbooks with all SB and AD compliance.

Back