What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Belts

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
So no seat belts in any of the parts of the kits..... Is the Vans belt the best option? I don't want the crotch strap.....

On all the other kits, you have to buy the belts of your choice.

Yes, you want the crotch straps.

The crotch straps keeps the lap belt low, over your hips, in the case of an accident.

Otherwise the shoulder harness will let the lap belt move up, across your stomach, which will crush your vital organs. While you might survive the accident, you will die a painful death later due to your damaged organs that are now failing.

The way you install the belts is to put the crotch strap and lap belts on at the same time. Tighten the crotch strap to get it low then tighten the lap belts. Once that is done you tighten your shoulder harnesses last. (Most people tighten the shoulder harnesses first, which is wrong.

I agree with wanting the crotch strap. Accident scenarios aside, the crotch strap makes the belt more comfortable in keeping the waist belt from riding up. Also, inevitably you will hit some relatively strong turbulence, and the crotch belt holding the waist belt low keeps your noggin' from hitting the canopy - and that can really hurt in an extreme case. My RV-6A has only 4 points belts and both me and passengers have hit the canopy (in spite of efforts to keep the belt snug) several times. My RV-14A has a Van's 5 point harness as I found I didn't like the large puck on the Crow harness.

Crotch straps saves lives.

Stops submarining and as others have said, keeps the lap belt low.

The shoulder straps only stop you from hitting the dashboard - nothing else !

Look at Crow - really nicely built, great quality, price and looks. Good pads for comfort and the buckles work really well.

3 airplanes with Crow belts now.

Current Crow harnesses have a smaller buckle btw.

Seat belts

This is like choosing which primer to use. Take a look at Hooker harness as they will custom make your belts any color or buckle you want and are very good quality. You can call them direct and talk to Scott.

+1 for Hooker.

Our vote is yes for the crotch or 5 point, and Hooker will make it any way you like with a lot of colors to pick from. We like the sport class belts we have as we are not doing hard Aro. I had them and the seats made with my #2 and her school colors in the back and my pick of school colors in the front. All you have to do is tell them want you want. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

This is like choosing which primer to use. Take a look at Hooker harness as they will custom make your belts any color or buckle you want and are very good quality. You can call them direct and talk to Scott.

I second the vote for hookers. It is kind of like buying a helmet, how much money is protecting yourself worth?

Does anyone know the specs for length when ordering? Or what needs to be had for the attach points? Picking color is one thing.....

Catalog

Just look in the Van's catalog and see if the belts are the same as a 6,7,9, and if they are you can go to the Hooker web-site and most of those are already know and listed. If not Hooker will make them to your needs
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back