What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADEPT Engines

bret

Well Known Member
Got an email response today about a question I sent ADEPT a while back.

Thank you very much for contacting us in March about our engine availability. I apologise for a delayed response, it's due to a minor technical and administrative difficulty. We officially opened sales at the start of this years Oshkosh and we are taking $2500 refundable deposits for production slots. Production officially starts early next year and currently we are in a production build up and accelerated endurance testing program. Over the last 4 years, we have had no mechanical failures and we are actually going to be running two test benches soon to get rid of the statistical anomalies in our test program. The 280N engine that you are after will be available at $65 000 full firewall foward, excluding prop and governor. Although, we can currently give you up to 17% off on an MT propeller and we are currently working on some deals with McCauley. Full Firewall forward includes all reservoirs, radiators, injectors, ECU's, hoses, etc. This price may seem a bit high, but our TBO is currently set at 2500 hours and a full top to bottom overhaul only costs $10 000 in today's money and a full service wont cost more than $100 in parts. We also claim the best power to weight ratios and similar fuel consumptions to the diesels. Our power to weight ratio is 1 hp per pound and we are getting between 6 and 7 gallons hour in the cruise. Furthermore, our engines can burn ordinary autogas or unleaded avgas or anyone of the ethanol blended fuels. There's almost a $2 per gallon saving in that. Our engines pay for themselves!

If you are interested in any more details or putting your name down on our mailing list for deposit taking, please don't hesitate to contact us again. Alternatively, you can continue to follow our website or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

I like the idea, but that is a lot of horses

I looked at the site and saw that the 280N they refer to is spec'd at "280N: 260 ? 280HP Normally Aspirated engine"

Are you considering that engine for an RV7? Is there a way to down rate it or is there another lower power model I'm not seeing on their site?

$65k for a gas-burner engine.

Just... wow....

If I was in a frame of mind to spend that much, I would buy the turbodiesel instead.

'center of the universe' principle

From Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ADEPT&oq=ADEPT&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Not everyone knows the stuff you know. ;-)

Knowing nothing about the engine you're addressing, but being moderately familiar with some of the efficiency limits of IC engines, I've got to ask, how can a 260 HP engine achieve '7 GPH at cruise' (unless their 'cruise' is at about 30% power)?

If it's even halfway good, why tell over the top lies about it?

Charlie

"Flying Should Not Cost Us the Earth"

Looked at the web site. Any time I see the letters PSRU, much less Integrated PSRU, I become a citizen of Missouri, show me.

I hope you guys are wildly successful, make tons of money, as long as safety and honest come first.

Looked at the web site. Any time I see the letters PSRU, much less Integrated PSRU, I become a citizen of Missouri, show me.

Does this include a million+ P&W, Wright, Allison, DB, Junkers, RR, BMW, Bristol, Napier, Rotax, PT6 etc. engines? Agreed that a new engine will have to prove itself but there have been way more aero engines built with reduction drives than direct drive ones. Just has to be done right to work well.

I would be nice to know what the BSFC is on these engines though.

Sadly, $65-$70K is the 2014 "standard" price for most new engine designs it seems- DH, Conti diesel, SMA, Thielert, Austro etc. Development and certification costs are a lot higher than they used to be I guess.

Four years and no mechanical breakdown, the turbo unit is 320 HP! If the price was about half, I would seriously consider one!

One thing I can't understand is, the Mercruiser 496 HOs 420 HP engines in my boat were only 12K each, ECM, alt, starter, fuel injection, exhaust, closed cooling, oil, fuel, trans ,raw water and PS coolers, COMPLETE DROP IN RTR! WHY are these fan turner things so expensive?

Four years and no mechanical breakdown, the turbo unit is 320 HP! If the price was about half, I would seriously consider one!

One thing I can't understand is, the Mercruiser 496 HOs 420 HP engines in my boat were only 12K each, ECM, alt, starter, fuel injection, exhaust, closed cooling, oil, fuel, trans ,raw water and PS coolers, COMPLETE DROP IN RTR! WHY are these fan turner things so expensive?

Quantity built....

Back