What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinge pins - Tip Up -9A

Snoho3

Well Known Member
Working on the quick release for my tip up canopy. The plans call out an AN438-16 bolt for the hinge pin, which is threaded I believe. But the drawings show an unthreaded bolt. Am I supposed to grind off the threads? If so should I shorten the bolt? How much? I didn't see any reference to this in the plans.

I know that there are several ways to accomplish a quick release function. I would only be planning to use mine during the build (if/as needed) or I suppose for occasional maintenance. It really seems to me that pip pins would be a much simpler solution. I am thinking about adding access panels on the forward skins, so getting to the pip pins would be a simple matter.

What are other -9 tip up builders doing in this area? Appreciate any input - thanks.

Working on the quick release for my tip up canopy. The plans call out an AN438-16 bolt for the hinge pin, which is threaded I believe. But the drawings show an unthreaded bolt. Am I supposed to grind off the threads? If so should I shorten the bolt? How much? I didn't see any reference to this in the plans.

I remember being puzzled about this as well. Then I found it on the plans. Top right corner of drawing 47 shows what to do with that bolt. I believe that's a AN43B-1, funny looking bolt with an eye on the head.

I recommend building the release mechanism to Van's print; no pip pins. It will end up being a tight fit (with all the other structure pushing on the 771 skin and other parts of the canopy, and the extra leverage from the release handle will help getting them inserted. I'd be surprised if you could insert pip pins at all without a guide pin to get everything aligned.

My use case is the same as yours, and I cut down the release handle to seat against the sub panel when the pins are fully engaged.

Pins

The plan calls to cut them and round them over.
I initially did this and then replaced them. Second time I ground them
To a point, the point works better for self centering the hole in the nylon
inserts of the canopy frame. I also cut the handel down so that it is mounted
On the sub panel. I have a gizmo dock with a Garmin gps on the panel pressure
Fit. This can be removed to get to the handel on the sub-panel.

Last edited:
Thanks very much - I missed the call out on the plans. It was the end of a long day in the shop... Searching on this forum I see some pics of the quick release handle oriented vertically (downward). The pins retract with a twist instead of a pull. This makes a lot of sense to me as I will have no need to access this handle in flight. And I'd like to keep the area behind the panel as clear as possible. Anyone using this config and if so are you satisfied?

Thanks Bruce, I saw that on another thread. To deploy the handle you will still need to pull it aft a few inches from the sub panel. My panel isn't laid out yet but I am sure there will at least be many wire runs there, if not actual boxes. Isn't that still a very congested area? Definitely not trying to be a pain here or to second guess what is working for you, but just wondering if there is downside to a twist type of handle oriented vertically. I appreciate your input, and anyone else who cares to comment.

A few people have used a torque tube to transfer the rotation from behind the panel to below the panel. I have seen photos here on VAF of two installations, one with the original T-handle sticking out under the panel, and one with a large knob attached to the end of the torque tube (pointing straight down at the floor).

Personally, I think these have the advantages of both relocating the handle, *and* maintaining accessibility in an emergency. My -6 tip-up didn't have the handle at all when I bought it, the lever holding the pins in position was just bolted in place behind all the panels for a "semi-permanent" installation. I bought a new T-handle from Van's, drilled the hole in the panel, and mounted it as per the plans. When I had to remove the canopy to repair a cracked frame, it was trivial to pull and release.

Thankfully I have not needed it for any emergency situation. But I am happy to have it as an option if it ever comes up.

Thanks very much - I missed the call out on the plans. It was the end of a long day in the shop... Searching on this forum I see some pics of the quick release handle oriented vertically (downward). The pins retract with a twist instead of a pull. This makes a lot of sense to me as I will have no need to access this handle in flight. And I'd like to keep the area behind the panel as clear as possible. Anyone using this config and if so are you satisfied?

Release mechanism installed as you described in 1998, used it once for access, see no reason to not recommend it for current builders.

finsh160.jpg

I built the mechanism per the plans, then modified a couple times for forgotten reasons, and finally replaced the whole works with a bolt, washer and nylock. No regrets so far. (I have access panels in the front outboard corners). Just another option to consider....

Back