What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sudden stoppage

JRo

Well Known Member
We talked about the nose wheel fork failure on my RV-12 last week. Now I'm focused on repairing the damage as a result of the failure. The engine was at idle, near the very end of the landing roll when the failure occurred. The prop struck, and sudden engine stoppage occurred. Does the Rotax 912 need to be removed and torn down? Or once the reduction gearbox has been inspected/repaired/replaced and a dial meter shows the engine crank OK, can the engine be left in place? Thanks. JRo. N448JR

There are a few good threads on this, including links to the service manual explaining exactly what to do. Do a quick search ;)

I even found a youtube video of how to do the inspection! :)

lower cowling

We talked about the nose wheel fork failure on my RV-12 last week. Now I'm focused on repairing the damage as a result of the failure. The engine was at idle, near the very end of the landing roll when the failure occurred. The prop struck, and sudden engine stoppage occurred. Does the Rotax 912 need to be removed and torn down? Or once the reduction gearbox has been inspected/repaired/replaced and a dial meter shows the engine crank OK, can the engine be left in place? Thanks. JRo. N448JR

If you need a lower cowling thats brand new let me know I have one. PM me

You can check the crankshaft distortion while it's in the plane but there's really no access to the back of the engine while mounted. I'm told it's rare that a prop strike will twist the crank where composite props and the overload clutch are present.

The process for the crank is in the Heavy Maintenance Manual from Rotax.

There are also several service letters referenced in 05-50-00 of the line maintenance manual.

After any propeller strike the following inspections must be performed
before operation can continue.
Step Procedure
1 Inspect the engine for damage. If any damage is detected, inspect, repair
or overhaul the whole engine in accordance with the relevant Manual.
Inspect all systems for correct functioning.
2 Inspect add-on components e.g. propeller governor, vacuum pump, external
alternator. Observe the manufacturers instruction(s).
3 Observe the directives from the aircraft manufacturer.
4 Remove the fuel pump and gearbox.
5 Remove the roller bearing in crankcase for propeller shaft.
6 The whole gearbox must be inspected, repaired or overhauled in accordance
with the BRP-Powertrain instructions for continued airworthiness -
but not limited too
- Carry out detailed inspection of all gearbox components.
- NDT for cracks on gearbox housing, propeller shaft and gear set.
- Inspect drive for governor and vacuum pump (if fitted).
7 Inspect the crankshaft on the power take off side for out-of roundness. See
chapter 72-00-00 section 3.9) of the Heavy Maintenance Manual.
8 Re-install the gearbox.

Back