VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Default Time for some overdue refurbishment

I'm looking at a disgusting mess, here. Almost sorry I didn't snap pictures last evening to illustrate. None of this is new, but it's in my face now, having reached a point where I can't keep ignoring it simply because flying is more fun than fiberglass work (who knew, right? )

I pulled the cowl to begin replacement of my alternator and DC power distribution wiring. It was ugly. The glass is wearing badly where the nose gear strut meets the lower cowl. The lower cowl is heat-discolored from gradual loss of the aluminum foil I glued inside (not well-enough) 20 years ago. The engine seeps some oil, now, which finds its way to the bottom and has saturated the composite where I failed to seal it well enough, or at all, with resin during construction (I could fill a book with things I know now that I didn't know then. This is such an educational activity ) The gel coat, and with it, the paint has spider-webbed in a thousand different stress concentrations all over the outer surface. The shoulders of countersunk screw holes are wearing oversize and thin...

The DuPont polyurethane paint formula I'll need when I'm finally ready for basecoat/clearcoat repair was lost in a house fire, so we'll have to color match by other, imperfect means.

I am confident after all my recent RV-10 canopy top experience that I can fix these issues with epoxy, cloth and micro. But I'm not confident I can get epoxy to adhere properly to oil-soaked fiberglass. It's literally oozing through exterior pinholes that have opened up in the toasted areas near the exhaust pipes.

What's the best way to try to clean this mess up for repair? I'm sure it's going to involve elbow grease and a hazmat suit

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 AM

Clean it well with acetone (dripping wet). Then sand down with 80 grit to give it good tooth. Follow-up with another good soak.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Replace

Stormy,
Just replace it with a new James Cowl.
While you are at it, do a new FWF...0-360...
Fix everything you really want to fix.
and why not put the little wheel on the back where it belongs....

Seriously......stay focused.....just fix what you have to and get back to the 10.

PA38112 is correct....soak/clean with accetone or mek..be careful. Then rough up and soak again then seal and paint/cover. About the only way.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB

Last edited by Bob Martin : 09-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Hey, Bob

good ideas, and I've considered it. If Lorri twists my arm into giving up on the -10 project, which she feels takes too much of my time, I would have to go all-in on improvements and upgrades to the 6A. But that's not happening

I'll hit this thing with TSP and a pressure washer. When it dries I'll break out the acetone and a pile of rags. Then sand with 60 grit and hope for the best.

I could solve my color match issue by add ing a new element to the paint scheme right where the new paint would be needed. Maybe some gloss black features. Maybe from a rattle can, too. Not ready to learn painting while I'm busy with the -10.

Everything done on the -6A is with an eye toward eventual sale, and curb appeal. Can't have it looking tattered, or putting out 36 volts!

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM

What's the best way to try to clean this mess up for repair? I'm sure it's going to involve elbow grease and a hazmat suit [/quote]

Have the cowl pieces tank dipped at your local radiator repair shop. Will come out oil free and clean enough to allow new fiberglass to bind.