Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n38139 View Post
Anybody have any experience with a RV-8 and an IO320? I have a friend that wants to sell one. It also has a constant speed prop.

thanks
Is it for sale? Can you or your friend send me the information & some pictures as could be interested to buy her
Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 AM

I have a little experience, having flown an RV-8 with an O-320 (150hp) and a fixed pitch cruise propeller for about 450hrs.

It performs "well enough" even off grass as long as the DA is not above 3000' or so.

Off of paved runways, it is easy - even with a "bubba in back".

The CS propeller would be a big improvement over a fixed cruise propeller. 160hp is an improvement over 150hp.

It really comes down to your mission and your budget. If the deal is good, I'd not hesitate to give the plane serious consideration.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 AM

I have 350 hrs on my IO-320 RV-8 with a 2 blade Catto at 1025 lbs empty and it performs quite well. A few key items to consider -
An IO-320 powered RV-8 will perform as well as or better than most of the other RV-Xs with a 320 of similar weight and wing loading / CG. The narrow fuselage does help in lowering drag. Depending on W&B, it will likely perform as well as or better than most of the wide body RVs with 360s and FP props. It will not likely out perform most RV-Xs with a 360 and a CS due to basic physics. Consider handing qualities, a light well balanced RV-8 is much more fun to fly acro than a nose heavy RV-8...which you can always ballast the nose heaviness, but that increases wing loading.
My IO-320D2A is a "parts motor built by Aero Sport. It could have been a carb'ed or injected motor, but I put a vertically mounted FM-100 on it and it became an IO instead of an O. I wouldn't get hung up if the IO-320 was a parts motor and not from a pedigreed certificated family.
I have done two up acro (spins, aileron / barrel rolls, loops) with no issues, it all depends on the empty weight and learning to the aircraft, not fly the engine and prop.
Are you buying this acft as an investment or to fly it and enjoy the gift of flight? I wouldn't worry about re-sale, there will be an informed buyer out there who will be glad to buy what you have.
If an IO-360 with CS prop was delivered today, would I put it on? Yes, absolutely, but until that happens, I will enjoy the fact that I have a safe, fun RV-8.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:47 AM

I run my 8 at 21/2300 27lph peak egt, IO360 /CS, 150 ktas, but can go 180 ktas when I want and climb like a homesick angle, I keep the airframe highly polished, makes a difference, a 360 can always be a 320 never the other way around👍
Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM

There was one at our field for a while. It held it's own against all the others because of weight. To be fair, it had a nice 4 into 1 system that helped it as well on the power front.

Everyone who flew it was most surprised, so I wouldn't be dissuaded.

Donated in 2018
Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 AM

You've heard the expression, "You can never have too much power, or too little fuel" (Unless you're in a 747-But I digress:)

I had an RV 8 o-320. Loved it. Did a 156 KIAS. UNTIL I wanted to sell it. Nobody wanted an o-320