What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTT on Throttle quadrant

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
cat-med_delux-quadrant.jpg

Right now, I have my PTT on the control stick in the "trigger" position, but a friend commented that I might end up keying the mic while maneuvering. He recommended moving the PTT to the throttle.

I'm installing a throttle quadrant similar to the one shown above in my RV-7.

Has anyone else done this (PTT on the throttle)? How do you run the wires from the PTT down the throttle quadrant arm? I'm assuming that a thumb operated PTT would be the best choice.

Thanks in advance...

PPT on Throttle

You bet Scott. Did it on my RV-8.
Haven't figured out how to put image into this post yet...........
p5050003croppedxc3.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
You will notice the top half is a flap switch. The bottom is a mike switch and I never used it. I wouldn't do it again.
OH........I know its PTT, not PPT

Last edited:
Scott,

I put the PTT on the top of my grips and never had a problem hitting in by accident. Later I put in an auto pilot disconnect button in the trigger position and don't hit that either.

The problem with putting the PTT on the TQ is that you don't keep your hand there other than when landing and take offs or formation flying. Every time you have to make a radio call you will have to move your hand to the TQ and press the button. It is much more natural to have the PTT on the stick and easier to push, IMHO.

If you want to add a button to the TQ, put the flap button and/or starter button on there.

Haven't figured out how to put image into this post yet...........

Frank - attaching pictures is easy. Just type your reply, use a little duct tape to attach your picture to your computer screen, then hit the "submit reply" button! Piece of cake!:D

Every time you have to make a radio call you will have to move your hand to the TQ and press the button. It is much more natural to have the PTT on the stick and easier to push, IMHO.

I concur! The RV-4 I fly has it on the throttle...don't like it; wish it was on the stick.

-Jim

Flew a Huskey

a lot with a PTT on the throttle and did not like it.
Not sure why - it just felt strange.
My cub had the PTT on the stick. Felt right there and I never hit the transmit button accidently. :)

Steve

My plan was always to have the PTT and one of the starter buttons on the throttle. The other one of the starter buttons would go on the stick, so i'd need to be holding both the stick and the throttle to start the plane. Also makes it easier for an in-air restart if needed during formation.

The reasoning for PTT on the throttle (so i've been told) is that it's part of the military setup, and follows the division of responsibility for the controls between your two hands... Your left hand controls your power, and your right hand provides direction. For the engine, that means the left controls the power output from the engine, and right tells that power where to go by pointing the airplane.

Following the same philosophy for the radio, think of it as the left controlling whether or not you're talking (your output, or power), and the right controls what frequency you're on via a frequency select button on the stick (telling it where to go).

Having the starter on both is just something I thought of to ensure that you have both hands in the right place during startup, and at the same time making it hard to accidentally hit a single starter button located on either.

My plan was always to have the PTT and one of the starter buttons on the throttle. The other one of the starter buttons would go on the stick, so i'd need to be holding both the stick and the throttle to start the plane. Also makes it easier for an in-air restart if needed during formation....
Good thought, only we don't fly fighters and those that do also have a LOT of other buttons on their stick and throttle.

Think about how much time and RV-7 (or any other RV) will spend without making any power adjustments and how many times you will need to press the PTT button in flight. Your hand will almost always be on the stick, not the throttle. Even if you have an auto pilot (which I do), it is easier to press the PTT on the stick than reach to the panel for the throttle.

Of course, this is all my opinion, your actual mileage, desires, etc. may vary.

For those who plan on putting the starter button on the throttle or stick (as Paul and some others have done), while I like this idea, IMHO, I like keeping things simple even more. Proper panel layout / switch placement can go a long way towards solving a lot of these perceived problems and eliminate a lot of wiring complexity. One thing I hate doing is chasing down electrical problems and when you start adding relays, multiple switches, etc., you are adding complexity, which means future maintenance issues.

placing the starter switch on the throttle or stick with a taildragger allows the pilot to manipulate the the fuel flow during start while ensuring the stick remains full aft..it actually makes starting much, much more ergonomic and isn't any more complicated than wiring the switch to the panel. It is just a different routing of wires.

I had the PTT on the throttle of my Moni motorglider and loved it. I initially had it on the stick, but the Moni was so pitch sensitive that every time I keyed the mic, I climbed. Not sure I would like it on a right hand throttle like the SBS RVs.

placing the starter switch on the throttle or stick with a taildragger allows the pilot to manipulate the the fuel flow during start while ensuring the stick remains full aft..it actually makes starting much, much more ergonomic and isn't any more complicated than wiring the switch to the panel. It is just a different routing of wires.

Let's see, there is the smaller wire that is required put the little starter button on the stick, thus you may need a relay to fire the starter relay. Then, you probably want some kind of "lock out" so you don't accidently trigger the starter while flying. I'm thinking that accidently keying the mic is preferable to accidently engaging the starter.

As for the taildragger thing, I have no problem holding the stick with my knees, or not. As soon as the engine starts it is easy enough to grab the stick and with the dual electronic ignition (Pmags) the engine starts on the first blade every time right off of idle. No big blast of air going over the elevator so little risk of something bad happening.

It really comes down to building what YOU want the way YOU want it.

It really comes down to building what YOU want the way YOU want it.
I think this is the best answer yet.

For what it's worth, I have a throttle grip from an F-105 that I plan to incorporate at some point. Here's the only photo I could find on the net that shows the same grip, although this is of a replica:

http://www.metalcraftbyblair.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13226

It has two buttons and a toggle switch on it. One button is marked IGN (ignition, which I plan to use for starter), and the toggle is marked Speed Brakes In-Out (which I plan to use for flaps... Seems appropriate). I forget what the third button says, but i'll use it for PTT.

Then all I need is an Infinity grip for my right hand, with coolie-hat trim, frequency select, second start button, and smoke on-off, and i'm done. :)

Oh, and I need a way to mount a left-side throttle in an RV-6 that i'm happy with. Maybe that has to come first. :)

If I'm in a tandem I like the PTT on the throttle. Almost all of the warbirds I have flown have them there. As for starter switches on the stick/throttle I don't see any advantage. You are starting with the engine at idle so it doesn't need to be in your lap. Starting a radial engine requires both hands, one holding down the start switch the other to work the primer until the engine fires on the boost coil then to flip the mags on. Snowflake, your idea of having to push two buttons to start is a little overboard. Also if you need a restart flying formation you have a real big problem. It is best to keep things simple. Don

Another scheme.

My plans, for now:

Starter: Starter enable switch on the panel to allow the starter switch on the stick to work. (HOTAS for taildragger starting.)

PTT: One on the pilot stick, one on the copilot stick (must be on top of the stick to prevent inadvertent actuation...and I'm reserving the trigger switches for missles), and at least one on the panel for the copilot to transmit while the pilot flies. I'm thinking I'd also like a panel-mounted pilot PTT for autopilot-engaged transmissions. Now it's getting out of hand...

Maybe I should figure out if my COM radios (intercom?) can handle parallel PTTs. Anyone done this before?

I carved my own throttle grip from black Walnut and put my starter switch in it. PTT would be even easier..
I'm in the process of doing the same as part of a rebuild. My RV-4 originally had the PTT on the stick (where the A/A wep select should be ;) ) and the starter on the full forward (momentary) position of left mag toggle (RHS of the cockpit). I'm tired of doing the monkey shuffle on starting and I never liked PTT on the stick, so I'm putting PTT and a start pushbutton on a new throttle grip. My starter is locked out when the RT mag is on, so that should prevent most accidental engagements.

For what its worth, I have had experience with the military set up - PTT on throttle and others, so I gave it some thought during build planning. In my tail dragger -6, I have a left hand throttle (mixture and prop on center lower panel).

On the stick grip I have the usual trigger PTT and also the starter button. The starter is "locked out" with a manual switch on the panel to eliminate inadvertant starter engagement. So typical operations look like this -

To start - left hand on stick to control it and engage starter button. Right hand on mixture. As engine starts and mixture is set to full rich, right hand goes to stick and left goes to throttle to adjust idle.

Two hands to engage starter is way too much. Starter on throttle would be nice but with right hand on mixture, no hands are left for the stick. None of it is that critical (you got knees) - keep it simple.

Inadvertent PTT trigger pulls are not an issue. The advantage for PTT on throttle is that you can transmit and write at the same time (assuming right handed).

I do have my flap switch mounted just above the left hand throttle. Flap switch adjacent to throttle is the way to go, as flaps can be moved while the other "stick hand" flies.

I guess it all depends if you are left hand or right hand sticking - man this is getting complicated!!

Again, none of this is that critical. Make a call and build on. You'll adapt to whatever you did when finaly flying.

By the way, a single left hand throttle for the 6 (and probably 7) can be built very quickly using the -8 backseat throttle kit from Van's. Just a few mods and you got it. I integrated mine into the forward part of the armrest and it fits in nicely.

I took a picture of Dayton's set up. I will have #1 COM on the trigger and #2 COM om the Throttle.

000_0214.JPG

PTT Switch

Hi All
I have a bag of those Red button switch?s if you send me your contact information I will mail you a switch for you deluxe throttle quadrant, there is an aluminum ring I make to adapt to the ?? I.D. of the throttle handle to the switch that will be included.:)

No issue with TOSTEN PTT

I have have two TOSTEN grips and love them. In 180 hours I have never accidently hit the PTT, yet it is comes naturally to hand when you are ready to talk. The chance of accidently hitting the PTT button has a lot to do with the design of the grip and how you normally hold the stick. If you just grab the grip your hand falls into the smallest diameter of the grip, just below the PTT. Normally you never have a "full grip" on the stick. It is more natural to have the arm resting on your leg and the thumb and two fingers gripping the base of the grip, well away from the PTT.

The TOSTEN grip also has a smaller red button just below the PTT. You can accidently hit this button. I use it for radio flip/flop and have accidently hit it twice (once on the first flight). I considered disabling this button, but once I become comfortable flying the plane with the afore mentioned 3 fingers, it has not been an issue.

Besides being a very comfortable and functional grip, they also look cool.

Switch

Hi All
I have a bag of those Red button switch?s if you send me your contact information I will mail you a switch for you deluxe throttle quadrant, there is an aluminum ring I make to adapt to the ?? I.D. of the throttle handle to the switch that will be included.:)

Dayton:
Check your PM's. I need one.

Thanks for all of the replies - it's good to hear/see what others have done.

I made my first flight yesterday, and found that I really don't like the PTT on the trigger of my Infinity grip. It's just not "intuitive"! I'd rather have it on the top of the stick. But the top of my stick has a coolie hat for trim, an autopilot disconnect button, and a flap switch.

Well, I'll have to give this some thought...

Time to go fly some more!:D

no relay required, so wiring is no different than any other configuration - the switch was designed to be a starter switch. Still had to drill a hole in the grip and route wires just like in the panel. The switch guard helps prevent accidental actuation.

Obviously a taildragger isn't difficult to start without a switch on the throttle. If however, you are holding the stick with your knees during the start sequence I think my point is made and is in fact the sole reason I put a switch on the throttle..because it makes it EASIER to start.

PTT switch

The guys that sent me a request for a switch are:

R. E. "Ernie" Butcher

Mannan Thomason

Dave Hyde

Bill Zaun

Buck Wyndham

If I missed some one please send me a P.M. with your adress

PTT Switch

The guys that sent me a request for a switch are:

R. E. "Ernie" Butcher

Mannan Thomason

Dave Hyde

Bill Zaun

Buck Wyndham

If I missed some one please send me a P.M. with your adress

Got mine today Dayton. Looks great! Thanks!:D

I think I'll mill a short, narrow slot in the throttle lever where it goes through the top of the quadrant. That way I can epoxy the wires to the back side of the lever, go into the slot where they can't rub on the top fascia plate then back out to the back and epoxy the rest of the way down. That way there wont be any dangling wires to get ripped out when something catches on them.

See any problems with this idea:confused:

Hi All
I have a bag of those Red button switch?s if you send me your contact information I will mail you a switch for you deluxe throttle quadrant...
I received my switch earlier this week and am just now getting my head above all of my family/holiday obligations. Thanks for the switch and your generousity.

Dave 'Nauga' Hyde

Reviving an old thread ...

How did those of you who put the switch in the side of the throttle (as in the pic on the previous page) route wiring?

Considering placing the TO/GA switch in the throttle, and looking into ways to safely route the wires (DPST switch).

Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies - it's good to hear/see what others have done.

I made my first flight yesterday, and found that I really don't like the PTT on the trigger of my Infinity grip. It's just not "intuitive"! I'd rather have it on the top of the stick. But the top of my stick has a coolie hat for trim, an autopilot disconnect button, and a flap switch.

Well, I'll have to give this some thought...

Time to go fly some more!:D

Hi Hawk,

Right now I have the PTT on the trigger finger button on my Ray Allen grip. I inadvertently hit that switch all the time. I hate it.

I'm in the planning stages of installing an Infinity grip. I'm reserving the trigger finger for a gun camera ;) - a cam that constantly runs but only records when the trigger is down. Right now the PTT will either be the pinky button or the #4 button (left side of the right hand grip). The latter is where I remember the T-37 PTT being.

If neither of those work they autopilot disco will be the pinky finger and the PTT will be the #1 switch (where you have your AP disco).

I am giving serious consideration to putting the PTT on the throttle, but there are pros and cons.

The main con is that while I occasionally touch the throttle, I'm almost always on the stick. So if I'm flying XC, and I have a sectional in my left hand, and then get a radio call, I have to put the map down and then hit the PTT.

Whereas if the PTT is on the stick, my hand is almost always there too. I would just have to move a finger.

The drawback to having the PTT on the stick is that I'm right handed and so copying down ATC handoffs is a bit of a juggle too. Although I'm not pressing the PTT when I'm listening to the data.

In either case I could flip the AP on.

So I can see benefits to both.

Hi All

Hello Dayton,

If you still have some available, I'd appreciate the button and adapter ring. I've sent my contact info via PM.

Thanks

I have my PTT on top of the stick, the same place as my other airplanes and it works fine there. I can?t ever remembering accidentally hitting it. I have one of Dayton?s throttle levers with engine start on it. Very easy to do, get a round switch and machine the handle to take it. I also have a starter arming switch on the panel so the start switch will not activate the starter selnoid unless arming switch is closed.

I am giving serious consideration to putting the PTT on the throttle, but there are pros and cons.

The main con is that while I occasionally touch the throttle, I'm almost always on the stick. So if I'm flying XC, and I have a sectional in my left hand, and then get a radio call, I have to put the map down and then hit the PTT.

Whereas if the PTT is on the stick, my hand is almost always there too. I would just have to move a finger.

The drawback to having the PTT on the stick is that I'm right handed and so copying down ATC handoffs is a bit of a juggle too. Although I'm not pressing the PTT when I'm listening to the data.

In either case I could flip the AP on.

So I can see benefits to both.

Just a single datapoint - our -3 has the PTT both on the stick trigger and on the throttle. I like the feel of both of them, but nine time out of ten, I use the stick trigger, probably just becasue that?s what I am used to. It takes a conscious ?hey, I think I?ll use the throttle PTT this time? to use the other one.

Like I said - what you get used to.....

One more data point: I have PTT on the trigger, have never hit it by accident, and find it very valuable while flying in the terminal area or formation.

In addition, I have a PTT on the panel, and that's what I use enroute. When going cross country I'm generally on autopilot and would rather not be messing with buttons on the stick or throttle. The big robust button on the panel is easy to find in turbulence and is my main "go to" for coms.

I have 2 radios and fly lots of formation, but I think my setup works great. I have an Infinity style grip with Radio 1 PTT on the trigger and Radio 2 PTT on the thumb button. No need to switch Comm 1&2 to transmit, just hit the correct button. I always use the Trigger for ATC/CTAF and Comm 2 for formation or ATIS/AWOS.

I would keep radios on the stick and smoke or flaps on the throttle. If I had 2 radios, I might put Comm2 on the throttle and comm1 on the stick.

On my stick: top right — flip flop comm1 Freq. Coolie hat - trim. Top left (button) fires pyrotechnic Smoke. Thumb transmits Comm2. Trigger transmits Comm1. Pinkie button is TOGA.

How did those of you who put the switch in the side of the throttle (as in the pic on the previous page) route wiring?

Considering placing the TO/GA switch in the throttle, and looking into ways to safely route the wires (DPST switch).

Thanks

It?s be nice if someone actually answered your question, wouldn?t it? ;)

I used thin wires, and ran them down the outside face of the throttle arm, taping them in place with thin tape. Then I covered the arm and wires with a large heat shrink sleeve. Obviously, you have to have the arm off the quadrant to do this, and you?ll want to place the heat shrink strategically so that it doesn?t interfere with the pivot point or the quad surface.

Paul

An option for flexible wiring is to buy an old phone handset coiled wire, cut the ends off and wire it in from your throttle quadrant. Very durable and no worries about wire chafing.

I have 2 radios and fly lots of formation, but I think my setup works great. I have an Infinity style grip with Radio 1 PTT on the trigger and Radio 2 PTT on the thumb button. No need to switch Comm 1&2 to transmit, just hit the correct button. I always use the Trigger for ATC/CTAF and Comm 2 for formation or ATIS/AWOS.

I would keep radios on the stick and smoke or flaps on the throttle. If I had 2 radios, I might put Comm2 on the throttle and comm1 on the stick.

On my stick: top right ? flip flop comm1 Freq. Coolie hat - trim. Top left (button) fires pyrotechnic Smoke. Thumb transmits Comm2. Trigger transmits Comm1. Pinkie button is TOGA.

Yobo,

I also fly a lot of formation. I?ve been wanting to do the same thing for years. In fact, I?ve had my second radio in the closet for about two years! I planned on putting my Comm 2 PTT on the throttle, but have also thought about doing it the way you did.

How did you wire it? Do you have a schematic? Are you using an audio panel? Or did you use some sort of relay scheme?

Thank you!

Thanks

I machined a slot in the throttle lever. Then ProSealed tubing in the slot as a conduit for wires. If needed the switch and wiring can be removed without quadrant dis-assembly.

Same here.

We found the same thing and put a PTT on the panel just under the throttle as well as the one on the stick. Two reasons it was done. One its a back up to the one on the stick. If you have ever lost a PTT in flight you will like the idea. Two we have a Garmin auto pilot and don't need to use the one on the stick while Auto is flying. Going long CX I find the one on the panel is used the most anyway. When maneuvering or close in to the airport the one on the stick is in hand anyway. The PTT is just a ground and you can put as many as you feel good with. I have an old Soft Com headset that I have always liked, going from one aircraft to another not sure if the mic or PTT would work, the headset has one on the lower edge of one of the ear cups. A good backup and we have had to use it when the primary went fault. I still fly with that headset from time to time so then I have three in the front seat. Just our take on this one. Your call. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

We found the same thing and put a PTT on the panel just under the throttle as well as the one on the stick. Two reasons it was done. One its a back up to the one on the stick. If you have ever lost a PTT in flight you will like the idea. Two we have a Garmin auto pilot and don't need to use the one on the stick while Auto is flying. Going long CX I find the one on the panel is used the most anyway. When maneuvering or close in to the airport the one on the stick is in hand anyway. The PTT is just a ground and you can put as many as you feel good with. I have an old Soft Com headset that I have always liked, going from one aircraft to another not sure if the mic or PTT would work, the headset has one on the lower edge of one of the ear cups. A good backup and we have had to use it when the primary went fault. I still fly with that headset from time to time so then I have three in the front seat. Just our take on this one. Your call. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

You make good points here. I was debating whether to have it on the stick or the throttle - there are pros and cons for each location. But if, as you say, the PTT is merely connecting the ground then I could have it on both and have all the pros, none of the cons, and have a backup to boot.

Back