What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wayne Moyer, RV-12 builder, 1 April 2018

Catching up on my EAA Sport Aviation reading I read in the June edition that Wane Moyer of Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton, Ohio) had passed away. Wayne along with his close friend Geoff Hays had built a RV-12 in a hangar at the Greene County Airport near Xenia Ohio. He was 77 years old at the time of his passing. He was a frequent contributor to this web site under the user name ?yankee-flyer? and signed off as ?Wayne 120241/143WM.? I did not know him well but he invited me to visit his aircraft build which I did at least two times and he gave me a ride in his -12 after completion but before paint. Those wanting to read his obituary can still find it at the Newcomer Funeral Home in the Dayton Ohio area. I happened upon these two guys while I was waiting at a CVS Pharmacy for some medication for my gravely ill wife back in late 2009. They were wearing caps that read ?RV-12 Builder? and I struck up a conversation because I was and still am interested in this aircraft. I would assume ?yankee-flyer? came from the fact that he owned and flew an American A1 Yankee which he continued to fly while building his -12. He later sold the Yankee to help pay for part of the aircraft project. The obituary says he flew 374 Young Eagles and one of the two donations in his memory was to the EAA Chapter 382 Young Eagles Program. Professionally he was a retired aerospace engineer who worked for the USAF at Wright-Patterson AFB. Wayne was also instrumental in introducing the hobby of collecting and building 1/43rd scale die-cast metal miniature cars into the United States in the early 1960?s and was a regular contributor to the literature in this hobby. More information is available in his obituary.

George

Back