What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage wiring: C409P

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the C409P connector (for the elevator trim) came on the wires? In the plans (10-25-old plans) it says to install C409P into the bulkhead, but not anything about assembly. It was long enough ago, that I don't know if I did this or if Van's did it. Either way I found both white wires pulled out today and I was able to easily pull out all the wires from their molex connectors.

I am pretty sure that the builder installed the micro molex connectors and inserted them into the plug. As I recall, that was my first experience with the dreadful micro-molex! :(

I'm replacing all the micro-molex connectors with either d-subs, d-sub pins that are shink-wrapped, or Deutsch DTM connectors.

I'm replacing all the micro-molex connectors with either d-subs, d-sub pins that are shink-wrapped, or Deutsch DTM connectors.

Just wondering if anyone has replaced this connector with a DTM connector but kept it above the aft deck? I’m at the point where if I need to drill a grommet hole in the aft deck (in place of the special molex hole) now would be the time to do it.

@turner - I saw your photo of the DTM connector on your blog - did you drill out the molex hole for a grommet? Do you think a dtm could fit on top of the aft deck?

Just wondering if anyone has replaced this connector with a DTM connector but kept it above the aft deck? I’m at the point where if I need to drill a grommet hole in the aft deck (in place of the special molex hole) now would be the time to do it.

@turner - I saw your photo of the DTM connector on your blog - did you drill out the molex hole for a grommet? Do you think a dtm could fit on top of the aft deck?

I didn't drill out the molex hole - I did reinforce the wire where it passes through with two successive layers of heat-shrink wrap, and secured the wire below the deck with tie-wraps. DTM could fit on top easily - when I remove the elevator for paint I may relocate it there - would be easy to secure with one of DTM's clips or simply a tie-wrap. I was early in phase 1 when I did the replacement and didn't want any more down time for a perfect fix.

I didn't drill out the molex hole - I did reinforce the wire where it passes through with two successive layers of heat-shrink wrap, and secured the wire below the deck with tie-wraps. DTM could fit on top easily - when I remove the elevator for paint I may relocate it there - would be easy to secure with one of DTM's clips or simply a tie-wrap. I was early in phase 1 when I did the replacement and didn't want any more down time for a perfect fix.

Cool. I might see if I can round that molex hole out and put a grommet in. When I do the drilling I?ll see where the connector can go and post a photo.

I'll be powering up my airplane for the first time in the next couple of months and will be watching the micro-molex connections on the pitch & roll trim motors very carefully. If they seem at all iffy or intermittent, I'll replace them with heat-shrinked D-subs.

If I never see another micro-molex connector again, it'll be too soon.

I'll be powering up my airplane for the first time in the next couple of months and will be watching the micro-molex connections on the pitch & roll trim motors very carefully. If they seem at all iffy or intermittent, I'll replace them with heat-shrinked D-subs.

If I never see another micro-molex connector again, it'll be too soon.

My elevator trim worked perfectly on the ground, and below 80Kts. Nada above that speed. Reproduced problem by putting a little stress on the micro-molex fitting at the aft deck, thus the replacement. My roll trim was wired by me - using dsub.

My elevator trim worked perfectly on the ground, and below 80Kts. Nada above that speed. Reproduced problem by putting a little stress on the micro-molex fitting at the aft deck, thus the replacement. My roll trim was wired by me - using dsub.

Good info. Looks as though I'll be getting proactive with it. I'll do the elevator trim servo before screwing the empennage fairing down in a few days for the last time pre-inspection. The wings are already in the hangar, so the roll trim servo will have to wait until final assembly. I'll make a note to fix it while the wings are still in the stand, as messing with it up over my head inside a mounted wing doesn't sound like fun at all.

Back