What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Giving a second life to your expansive 3M deburring wheel

Debovsky

When it comes to deburr your aluminum parts, the 3M deburring wheel is without no contest the best in its class. It will smooth out the edges without "churning" into the parts. Be careful though because if you abuse, it will heat up and become aggressive.

Despite all its qualities, I notice that grooves develop rapidly as you use it. And this is not necessarily desirable. Considering the very high price tag of this tool ($80), I was reluctant at the idea of replacing it despite being damaged only because of those grooves. Having nothing to lose, I?ve decided to test out couple of ideas I was playing with. To my surprise, the sharpening stone (pick one for sharpening an axe or a big knife) I was having in my toolbox for years turned out to be the answer to what I was looking for. It basically flattens the wheel almost like it was new. Only a tad smaller. !! Nevertheless, it worked!

The procedure is quite simple; start the bench grinder and push the stone with moderate pressure against it as it spins. The stone will gradually wear out the wheel and you will see the groove disappear like magic. Mine was severely grooved out but the result is simply fantastic.

IMG_2601-BeforeJPG_zps3d81bd74.jpg

IMG_2602-After_zps20018d24.jpg

PRECAUTION: Wear a safety mask as it will generate airborne abrasive particles. !!!

Last edited:
I always move my material differently to prevent those grooves. Keep an eye out for the grooves when they start and move your work to the high spots on the wheel. It will last much longer. I still have plenty wheel for finishing the 14 and that is after building a complete standard build RV-10.

I just finished my -8 and my wheel looks almost like new, ie. slightly smaller but no grooves. Just don't de-burr your parts by running the edge of the part parallel to the rotation of the wheel, keep em at least at a 45 to 90 degree angle, then make a light pass down each edge. Works like a charm.

I figger it's good for at least 2 more airplanes, but my wife says "dream on!!!"

Another option

When my wheel got too grooved, I used it to sharpen all my chisels, axe, etc., and by the time I was done, it was smooth again.

more ideas

Change up your parts, when a groove or two are growing, debur other parts that will smooth out your wheel, this way there is little to no waste over the life of the wheel.

I've used the dressing wheel that came with my bench grinder to dress out the deburring wheel. It does generate a lot of dust but squares up the wheel.

My new wheel seems to have excessive runout (wobble). Has anyone else encountered this? At first I thought it was just non-concentric and it would wear in but the problem remains. It seems the hole may not have been drilled square to the face.

Back