What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vendors for 14 non-kit items

Bernard Hartnell

I have noticed, without exception, vendors have nothing in their catalogues marketed to the RV14. No Avionics packages, engine alternatives, exhaust adaptations for alternative engines etc.. When I visited one prominent upholstery company recently in Scapoose:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oregon, they had not even started their visual measurement or design adaptation at Vans on the 14 to compete with the company Vans used on the bata 14. I don't know who made Van's 14's pipes or interior.?? So while I hope for results with vendors prior to Oshkosh, it remains to be seen. The kit has been promoted since 2012, so one would think business would begin to step up to the customers by now, but this has not been the case. I hope when I have needs vendors don't create unneeded wait for their R&D, but that may be part of the joy in being one of the first out of the box.

At best, my hope is that Van's Aircraft will make every effort to do their part in planning ahead for our eventuality NOW, not later.

Bernard----from a vendors point of view---the only 14 I've seen was at Sun N Fun last year. Van's is slowly shipping major components, but I think it may be another year or 2 before we see builders completing their 14's. Once some kits, especially fuse kits, are out there and under construction, I think the 'aftermarket vendors' will be able to get dimensions and provide some accessories.
Tom

Until Van's starts shipping production fuselage kits, I doubt you are going to see many vendors offering panel and interior alternatives. Taking measurements off the prototype is risky for them, since Van's has every right to make changes before the production kits ship.

Bravo to you if you are one of the first 14 builders. You'll have the glory of showing up at OSH 2015 with your own neat custom interior & finishing features you developed for your plane & get a Lindy for your efforts.

The 6,7,8,9 generation builders have the advantage of a mature market demand that drove the accessories now available to be developed. To this point nobody knows what the final RV-14 kit will contain & how many of what used to be aftermarket pieces actually being incorporated into the basic kits.

Patience.

The 14 is going to have more package options than other models (other than the 12). If I were a after market vendor I would like to see what Van's will have to offer before developing mods.

I have noticed, without exception, vendors have nothing in their catalogues marketed to the RV14. No Avionics packages, engine alternatives, exhaust adaptations for alternative engines etc.. When I visited one prominent upholstery company recently in Scapoose:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oregon, they had not even started their visual measurement or design adaptation at Vans on the 14 to compete with the company Vans used on the bata 14. I don't know who made Van's 14's pipes or interior.?? So while I hope for results with vendors prior to Oshkosh, it remains to be seen. The kit has been promoted since 2012, so one would think business would begin to step up to the customers by now, but this has not been the case. I hope when I have needs vendors don't create unneeded wait for their R&D, but that may be part of the joy in being one of the first out of the box.

At best, my hope is that Van's Aircraft will make every effort to do their part in planning ahead for our eventuality NOW, not later.

Hi Bernard,

Speaking for our company (Classic Aero Designs), we are in the very early steps of developing interior products for the RV-14. I was up to the factory a few months ago to take some initial measurements, and get a basic solid model of the RV-14 interior surfaces into the computer. I had seen the RV-14 a few times before, but this trip was mainly to scope things out in more detail and plan ahead for future products.

Given the other products that we are currently working on though, it will be quite a while before we have a very complete line of interior items for the 14. We still have items for current model RVs that customers want right now. Access to the plane is another issue. We will be able to design RV-14 seat cushions with limited access though. 1 or 2 more trips up to Vans will probably do it (it's a quick drive or flight up there). The main thing needed for the seats is just the time to design them.

Items besides the seat cushions will probably require more in depth access to the plane. As an example, we are currently working on some items for the RV-8, and we have a complete RV-8 forward fuselage clecoed together in our shop. This allows us to get the very precise measurements we need. We actually solid model each individual part of the plane, and then assemble them into a complete cockpit assembly in the computer. Most of the dimensions are within a few thousanths of an inch. We design our products around this solid model. Besides needing extended access to the plane, we also need a lot of time to do this.

If you decide to consider our company for your interior needs, we should be able to provide seat cushions for you by the time your plane is ready to fly. The other items will be a longer wait though. I wish the process was easier, and quicker. We've already gotten quite a few inquiries about RV-14 interior products. Feel free to contact us with any questions you might have.

Best regards,

Luke has the right idea ---and the resources- to put together a forward fuselege, and/or have access to the factory. Some of us, well its a different story.

I can't speak to all the parts/processes, but I know Van's is working with various vendors on various thing and they do try to keep people updated as to the status of where they are at with those things. There was some notice late last summer about avionics, you can see that release here: http://vansaircraft.com/images/whats_new/RV-14_Avionics_Update.pdf

I believe as other items are worked on there might be other notices forthcoming. I'm not speaking for Vans at all, but I believe they are trying to include a lot of vendors, options and package for the new kit - should make for a very nice offering as they progress.

Cheers,
Stein

A BIG thx to all vendors!

In reading back over my post, I realize it could have come across as harsh. Awkward! I want to thank each post for your insight a responses! Very helpful!! This info helps quell my concerns as a first time RV new plane type builder. It is reassuring to know each company is watching Vans closely for clues as we are as builders to see when product such as the fuselage will be available so components and options can be developed for upcoming customers. If other 14 builders are like me, we are pressing forward in every direction possible to get our projects in the air. My wings and empennage are ready and waiting for the fuselage. So while waiting, I'm building the engine.

Update on exhaust for the 14: I spoke with Larry Vetterman about both my application, the IO360 C1E6 angle valve & the IO390. He said he needs both the firewall and the cowling in order to do his mock-up. But when Vans has them out he will develop the exhaust system. Both he and a Vans rep said Vans had made their own pipes for their current 14.

Flightline's Abby, who built the current RV seats said they were reworking the current seats with some upgrades or adjustments in part due to the time and feedback on them. But she also said they were waiting on the finished fuselage before moving into seat or side panel mock-up or development.

Bottom line; we are all in this together to achieve great outcome. Thank you all who update on this thread!!!

A BIG thx to all vendors!

In reading back over my post, I realize it could have come across as harsh. Awkward! I want to thank each post for your insight a responses! Very helpful!! This info helps quell my concerns as a first time RV new plane type builder. It is reassuring to know each company is watching Vans closely for clues as we are as builders to see when product such as the fuselage will be available so components and options can be developed for upcoming customers. If other 14 builders are like me, we are pressing forward in every direction possible to get our projects in the air. My wings and empennage are ready and waiting for the fuselage. So while waiting, I'm building the engine.

Update on exhaust for the 14: I spoke with Larry Vetterman about both my application, the IO360 C1E6 angle valve & the IO390. He said he needs both the firewall and the cowling in order to do his mock-up. But when Vans has them out he will develop the exhaust system. Both he and a Vans rep said Vans had made their own pipes for their current 14.

Flightline's Abby, who built the current RV seats said they were reworking the current seats with some upgrades or adjustments in part due to the time and feedback on them. But she also said they were waiting on the finished fuselage before moving into seat or side panel mock-up or development.

Bottom line; we are all in this together to achieve great outcome. Thank you all who update on this thread!!!

Back