What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 32-02 Flap UHMW bushings

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I've installed the bushings that later take the flap actuators, and did a dry fit to check the fit. The flap actuators fit very tightly in the bushings, and I wonder if that will be much looser when the actuators are greased for the real installation?

Assuming the RV-14 flap bearings are like the delrin plastic RV-7/9 flap actuator bearings, I believe they are considered to be self lubricating, and should be snug on the shaft. If you can operate the installed actuator by hand without too much difficulty they aren't too tight. When you cut the center bearing in half to install it you lose the width of the saw kerf and will want to add washers in between the halves to make up the difference. Alternatively, you can re-bore the bearing after making the cut.

As a multiple builder I find the RV14 a very interesting project. The manual is well thought out and as long as you go step by step, everything works well. There have been a few wow moments, and the flap system was one of those. There are no "cutting and shimming of plastic bearing blocks as in other models. In fact, the precision fit of the flap drive is nothing short of amazing. This was a parts kit, meaning that I built the fuselage without a jig, as per plans.
The flap drive parts need to have a couple holes drilled and the supplied template/drilling guide makes this simple and accurate. The flap bushings are pre drilled and bolted permantly in place prior to fitting the actual flap drive parts.
The "Ah" moment happens when you slide the flap drive tubes into the plastic bushings and they mate perfectly in the middle with no slop, no adjustments, and have a smooth movement. A light film of grease, as per directions, is all that is required for this faultless fit.
These are the things that can only appreciated when you have built older kit models.

What Tom said...

...except that as a first time builder I too am amazed that I can successfully undertake a project of this size with my pitiful lack of experience.

I happened to be reflecting on this as I pondered the canopy assembly and figured that if everything this far has worked out OK I guess I can put together a correctly aligned canopy frame as well.

Flap blocks are snug but everything worked great when I powered up my flap motor. Plus it looked cool :)

Back