Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromachine View Post
Does anyone have any advice for me at this point to recover the best i can from this?
I don't know the answer to the question that has been raised, but I know who does.
Call Van's office tomorrow (503-678-6545) and ask to speak with Barb.
Explain the details and see what she says.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 AM

What it sounds like is some previous builder purchased a tail and wing kit, and that is the serial number that was assigned over to you from the seller. The fuselage was from another source. The question for Barb, is will they issue a bill of sale (for the 8050) to a builder who purchased less than four kits?, (i.e. some parts to complete were from another source), good luck and bunch of us wold be interested in their answer.

If what you heard is true, and the fuselage was from a Van's employee, they might know the true story, which could help your situation.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:20 AM

I think Vans will issue the BOS. I say that from recent personal experience. I bought my tail and wing kits second-hand. I bought the rest of the kits from Vans. When I was ready I sent in the forms and received the BOS from Vans, no issues. Later, I requested my invoice history, to have for tax purposes. Something must have gone wrong because even after multiple attempts they were unable to pull the data for my Fuselage, Finish, and FWF kits. So they sent the BOS with only a tail and wing to my name.

I think with the older models they are more lax, since abandoned kits are all over. Plus you can build the 3/4/6 from scratch unlike the new kits. So you could have an RV without ever touching a kit or part from Vans other than the plans.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromachine View Post
As far as fitting the new spars to the fuselage center section I can say with certainly they will bolt into the existing structure and have test fit to be sure.
As for the paperwork and legalities, if what you are saying is true, and I have no reason to doubt you know what you are talking about. This is most definitely an unfortunate turn of events for me. I purchased it as a "kit" from a seller that told me that the serial # on the sheet was for the "kit" which I promptly registered with Van's with no problem and no mention of or hint of a potential issue when I described the purchase to the lady at Van's that took my information and made the exchange. This unfortunately was about 3 years ago and being busy with work and other responsibilities I was never able to do much with it and have since realized that I need a simpler less expensive project based on available time and money. I was hoping to sell this project for cash to help fund the completion of my private pilot certificate which has taken much longer and cost much more than initially planned.
Even though the previous seller has obviously taken considerable advantage of an ignorant newbie I'm not willing to pass this unfairness on to others so now hearing you have said I will look more into this and see what I can find out.
Does anyone have any advice for me at this point to recover the best i can from this?
Thank you all, Dustin
I could be wrong about using the fuse this will best be answered by vans them self.. How ever what I and another has pointed out is that the wing spars and the center spar are NOT matched drilled to each other. This again should be a question for vans them self should they give the clear for the FUSE..

Best of luck hopefully vans says all it well and you can recoup your money.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1malr8ge View Post
I could be wrong about using the fuse this will best be answered by vans them self.. How ever what I and another has pointed out is that the wing spars and the center spar are NOT matched drilled to each other. This again should be a question for vans them self should they give the clear for the FUSE..
If the wings and tail come with a plans set and a serial number, I think a new buyer will be good to go. Vans doesn't care where the other sub-kits came from as long as there's a serial number and a paper trail all the way back to the initial buyer of that plans set.

RV-6 spars were match drilled to a center section by the spar manufacturer. Both the center section and wing spars carried etched serial numbers which matched. I think the steel carry through straps had serial numbers too. There is no guarantee that spars from one airplane (serial number XYZ) will match the center section from another airplane (serial number PDQ). There is no guarantee they won't, either.

It is up to the buyer to figure out if these wings will fit *that* fuselage.
2019(?) RV-10