What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6 landing gear the same as 7?

circuitbreaker8747

We have been looking at buying a 6A or 7A. A lot of the 6A we come across have a gross weight listed at 1800. We know that discussion has been beat to death and that is not our question. Whatever plane we buy, if it is a 6A,we would operate at 1650 by our own choice. Our concern is if previous owners operated at 1800 would that cause extra stress /damage to gear and gear mounts. Somebody mentioned they thought the gear legs and mounts are the same as 7A just shorter? Is that true? Obviously the spark us another concern as it is different. Thank you.

It is my understanding that the 6A and 7A share the same gear mounts and the difference is the length of the gear leg.

Nose gear 6A & 7A are the same, assuming the 6A has the later version of gear leg, which you should definitely check (not to be confused with the new RV14A type nose gear arrangement just announced). Mount is the same.

Main gear on 6A is slightly shorter than the 7A, giving the 6A a slight tail down attitude when sitting on the ramp. Mount is different only how it attaches to the spar, strength would be the same.

1800lb gross on some 6As is a builder assigned gross weight. Vans recommends 1650 or there about, and that is based on design and wing loading. Calculate gross wing loading between a 6 with 23' wingspan vs 7 with 25' & the difference will become obvious.

Last edited:
I would check with Vans to make sure the 6A & 7A gear leg drilled holes were jig drilled to the gear weldment and will match to prevent toe in/out?

The early 7 model engine mount was match drilled to the gear leg. Later models were all jig drilled. I'm not sure that is the case with the gear weldments, especially when dealing with different models.

Swapping 7a to a 7 what goes what stays

Are the 7a main gear legs the same as the tail wheel main gear legs? Now that the new mount & nose gear are out. I'm converting to tail wheel.Less weight,less hassle, no steps,etc. Anyone with a 7 or 9 conventional mount for sale or trade,let me know,New only for same please.
RHill

Are the 7a main gear legs the same as the tail wheel main gear legs? Now that the new mount & nose gear are out. I'm converting to tail wheel.Less weight,less hassle, no steps,etc. Anyone with a 7 or 9 conventional mount for sale or trade,let me know,New only for same please.
RHill

Tail wheel main gear legs are longer.
I converted in 2012.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a 6A that is like 80% complete. I am thinking about converting it to a Taildragger. How much work was it to convert?

I'm not sure about the 6. But the 7, was not too painful.
1. Replace engine mount
2. Remove rear fuselage bottom tail panel to install tail wheel mount.
(you may need to replace the V supports that the tw mounts. On the 7, the plans say to trim it. I didn't, so I was able to attach the mount by drilling a couple holes)
3. Remove in cabin gear weldments. (may be an issue if you have fuel lines & wires snaking through.)
4. Realign front cowling. (piano hinge may require removal & realignment due to engine re-hanging) Some had no issues. I had to remove my hinge, trim cowl & reattach.
5. Patch holes on bottom fuselage where gear weldments were located.
6. Replace with new gear intersection fairings.

FWIW, I was glad I made the change. I had no TW time & received my endorsement once I was completed. The tailwheel has minimal maintenance in comparison to the nose wheel.

If you'd like to discuss it, send me a PM with your cell# & I'll get in touch.

Last edited:
Anyone with a 7 or 9 conventional mount for sale or trade,let me know,New only for same please.
RHill

The -7 and -9 taildragger engine mounts and gear legs are not interchangeable.

The -9 wing needs to stall at a higher angle of attack. To get the wing to be stalled in a three point attitude, the -9 needs longer gear than the -7. Because the gear are longer, the mounting tubes have to be at a different angle to put the wheels in the correct location.

Thank you Bill, I did see that and updated the other post.
RHill

No problem. I added that to this thread jus in case someone finds it in the future and thinks they are the same. This could save someone a lot of pain.

6A and 7A are not the same at all. Different diameters, different lengths, different bend angle. The only thing the same is the axle.

Nose dragger mains are different than taildragger mains as well. Nothing the same about any of them, except the axle.

Back