Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
Nice looking install. How about a panel pic showing it?
Post #6, and some extra characters.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Did you consider simply replacing the 496 with a 696? They can be had at a good price point and would be a very simple swap. The 696 solves the screen size issue on the 496 and I found it overall to be a great unit.
G
Old 08-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
Did you consider simply replacing the 496 with a 696? They can be had at a good price point and would be a very simple swap. The 696 solves the screen size issue on the 496 and I found it overall to be a great unit.
G
I like the 696, and in fact have owned two of them (bought, rebuilt battery packs, and sold). However, it along with all other Garmin options will not receive ADS-B traffic or weather without having to buy (and mount) a Garmin ADS-B receiver. We are already ADS-B equipped, so we won't go that route. If Garmin would support the same protocol everyone else uses, great -- but they don't.

Omaha, NE
Old 08-16-2019, 11:04 AM

iFly 740b GPS device is on its way. I have a wiring harness figured out for it to plug in as a direct replacement for the Garmin 496. I haven't worked out the exact details of the mount yet -- I'll need the physical device here first. Adventure Pilot's web site is kind of thin on details about some things. I'm going to poke around and see if I can find the docs from the source device manufacturer -- I suspect these are generic little touch screen boxes. Anyway, I'll post details and pics when I have a chance to get it installed.

Omaha, NE
Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 AM

I received the GPS early this week. It's pretty nice. If I were designing it, I'd have put the connectors in different places. The power and USB are on one side, and audio is on the opposite side. Having them all on the same side would be much more convenient in almost all cases, but it's not a big deal.

My goal is to come up with a way of mounting the GPS on the panel without it looking like a crude hack. The GPS uses a non-standard method of mounting. At first I saw this as a problem, but in reality is just presents an opportunity. The AirGizmos dock is far too wide to fit in the center stack of the RV-12, at least horizontally mounted. I'm pretty sure it would be too tall to orient it vertically. I decided to invest a little time learning to use the EAA-sponsored free student version of SolidWorks to design a mount to do what I want.

A little time with a micrometer getting measurements of the vendor-supplied suction cup mount showed a pretty simple arrangement. I spent a couple of hours re-learning to use SW, and printed up a test plate with the mounting arrangement to see if I had the fit right before going further. I just printed it in PLA, since it's not going in the plane. Much to my delight, it was a perfect fit. More to come as I get a better idea of how I want this mount to work.

Omaha, NE
Old 08-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Default PingEFB

To piggyback on this thread.....

I also have a 740 mounted vertically using the suction mount in my RV-8. For ADS-B IN I have the small format uAvionix PingEFB that plugs into my 740 USB port. The problem I and others are now having is that target aircraft altitudes are off by thousands of feet. I contacted uAvionix but they passed the buck to iFly. iFly had me download data to the sim card and email it to them but they could not find any issues.

Anyone else that is still using the Ping have issues?

I installed a Garmin GDL 82 for OUT. Now I wished I had installed the uAvionix ADS-B OUT with their wifi IN. I could purchase the Stratux but I hate the format, wires, antenna.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I installed a Garmin GDL 82 for OUT. Now I wished I had installed the uAvionix ADS-B OUT with their wifi IN. I could purchase the Stratux but I hate the format, wires, antenna.
There's no rule that you can't just buy the parts to build a Stratux and install them wherever you want. You could (and I considered doing this, before installing the uAvionix system) mount the Pi behind the panel, and run a cable to a belly mounted antenna -- either two if you want to get fancy, or a single antenna with a splitter to feed both radio cards. That's one nice thing about the Stratux -- do it however you want it done.

Omaha, NE
Old 08-23-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
.....I installed a Garmin GDL 82 for OUT. Now I wished I had installed the uAvionix ADS-B OUT with their wifi IN....
Why are you second guessing your decision regarding the GDL-82? Is it maybe because of compatibility issues with other equipment that you have on board? I’m going to be doing a panel upgrade to an -8 that I just bought which will include the GDL-82/52-R combo for my ADS-B out/in requirements and those units will be tied in to the 327 transponder and Aera 660.
RV-8- IO-360, Hartzell C/S (Flying)
RV-7- (Building)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Why are you second guessing your decision regarding the GDL-82? Is it maybe because of compatibility issues with other equipment that you have on board? Iím going to be doing a panel upgrade to an -8 that I just bought which will include the GDL-82/52-R combo for my ADS-B out/in requirements and those units will be tied in to the 327 transponder and Aera 660.
Mark, Garmin ADS-B IN does not support iFly 740. The uAvionix ADS-B IN/Out does thru wifi. I am happy with my uAvionix PingEFB but it is giving off wrong altitudes of target aircraft and they no longer make or support it. I went with the Garmin GDL-82 to avoid the "sniffer" aspect of the uAvionix but it appears there have been no issues.

Dale, thanks for the idea.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 PM

Last time I checked Garmin moving map displays only interfaced with Garmin ADS-B hardware for FIS and TIS IN. Possible exception is the Foreflight receiver. Am I wrong?