VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Surefly electronic ignition

Has anybody had any experience with this product. It looks easy to install and the price is quite reasonable. They have a product description on Youtube.

Pat

RV7
slider
0-360
KHAF
Old 03-24-2019, 02:14 PM

I have talked to a mechanic who has heard good things about them, he is a DAR as well and said he had seen a couple on planes he expected, going to check them out at S n F. That’s all I can add .
Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Surefly

I installed one in place of the impulse mag on my 10 and have been very pleased,
quicker starts hot or cold and super simple install as you said. No complaints so far.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Surefly

I installed one in my RV-10 and found it not to perform as well as my existing Light Speed EI. I sent it back and got my money back.
Subsequently I installed a SDS CPI from Racetech and it is performing perfectly.
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm
Dual GRT 8.4" HXr EFIS, VP-200, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, ADSB in/out, Dual EI's (one Lightspeed & one SDS CPI)

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM

Excellent product! I've been running one unit on my RV6 with a high compression IO-360 for two years, and I can't wait to put on the second unit.

This is by far the most tested aircraft electronic ignition ever made. The unit was subjected to much more testing than their certified competitor (by a factor of 7!), tested thoroughly by Lycoming, and has passed with flying colors. The development of this system is a great example of how the FAA bureaucracy can ruin a company, but they persevered.

What it is: This is an easy to install, magneto replacement, that provides altitude compensated ignition advance within the detonation safe zone. In a low altitude, high manifold pressure, high power climb you are going to get 25 degree advance (base timing) just like a magneto. However, it will advance up to 38 degrees once your are in the detonation safe zone below 25" manifold pressure. Installation is just like a magneto with the addition of fused power directly from the battery, and a manifold pressure connection. You use the magneto gear, and the existing spark plug harness. It will last the life of the engine, with no maintenance. Only moving part is the geared shaft on a 50,000 hour bearing that only acts as a trigger. No external boxes or electronics, using existing ignition switch.

What it is not: This is not an electronic ignition for the "hotrodder" that wants to tweak the ignition curve and push the boundaries of detonation with their high dollar engine. Automotive engines have a "knock" sensor that advances the timing until is detonation is sensed and then backs it off. Piston aviation engines have no such system. So the philosophy was to build a KISS principled unit that is easy to install. You cannot adjust the timing curve, which also made the FAA happy during certification.

What it does: No 500 hours inspections, no impulse couplers destroying themselves and falling into the engine, no AD's, plug and play installation. I have easier starts, hot and cold. I can easily run lean of peak, seeing 7.5gph at 10,000' 165knots TAS. It runs so smooth that your mixture essentially becomes a throttle. I even know of carbureted O-360's easily running LOP with this ignition.

What to expect: Any electronic ignition system that burns the mixture more efficiently is going to highlight any deficiencies within your powerplant system. The CHT's will run slightly higher (10 degrees, below 25" MP) as you are extracting more BTU's from the fuel. In my case I found inefficiencies in my baffle that I corrected. I also needed to re-tune my GAMI's as I'd never been able to run this far LOP with mags. Finally, I discovered I had some tired spark plugs that needed replacement.

Bottom line is that I have a engine life span ignition system that costs just a little more than a magneto overhaul, makes my engine happy, and allows me to run more efficiently. I'm going to install my second Surefly SIM as soon as my RV6 comes back from the paint shop. I think you will see further product development from Surefly in the near future.

Who am I: I've been in the homebuilt game since the early 90's. My first project was a Thorp, and I've owned or flown just about every RV. I'm an A&P and an airline pilot. Full disclosure, I live in Granbury and have followed the development of this unit from the start. They are the same group that brought us Skytech and Plane Power, and are well funded. They will be around for a long time. I have no financial connection with them, and had to buy my units just like everyone else. I'm not an ignition expert, and I'm sure that those individuals can pick away at my comments.......but you get the jist.

Fly safe!
Jimmy
Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 AM

Default Auto plugs?

Can they run auto plugs?
Last Donation: December 2018
Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 AM

I took a quick look at the docs on their website. It appeared to me that it's like most other EIs in that it would require a redundant power source? Or is something built into it like the PMag?
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
I took a quick look at the docs on their website. It appeared to me that it's like most other EIs in that it would require a redundant power source? Or is something built into it like the PMag?
I spoke with Les Staples at SnF. The sim requires around 8 vdc to fire. If you only put one on then your mag is the redundancy. It uses the same wires and cap from Slick so it is a very simple install. I will likely add one when my mags need overhauled just for the efficiency and reliability.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mconner7 View Post
I spoke with Les Staples at SnF. The sim requires around 8 vdc to fire. If you only put one on then your mag is the redundancy. It uses the same wires and cap from Slick so it is a very simple install. I will likely add one when my mags need overhauled just for the efficiency and reliability.
OK, so if you had two of them, you'd need some sort of redundant external power supply?
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
OK, so if you had two of them, you'd need some sort of redundant external power supply?
Yes, but what would be the gain in performance over just having one?

Again, the KISS principle comes into play...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ