Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM

Default Seat cushion thickness & rudder pedal positioning...

Given that I'm getting ready to order my seats and am also about to start work on the rudder pedals, I've been wondering about optimal dimensions.

I should say upfront that I'm 6' tall and have a 34" inseam. My plan is to locate the rudder pedals in their middle position and expect that either the center or aft seat bottom hinge will suit me. Does that sound reasonable?

The seats are a bigger question. Should I be thinking about making changes to the standard thicknesses of bottom and back cushions (I'm going with Flightline Interiors) or is that likely to be unnecessary?

There must be some similarly-sized guys ahead of me...

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Standard kit begun 5/18 - FWF in progress
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM

I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam and have the Classic Aero seats installed on the middle hinge.

My pedals are in the forward position and it's very comfortable. For others to reach the pedals I just put the seat on the forward hinge and that seems to work for most.

The issue you may have with the forward position is that you will need to fabricate new CS-00015 CABLE LINKS to add an extra hole or you will have an issue rigging the rudder later on, there won't be enough throw.

E has a great solution for this - http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2017/10/f...e-systems.html
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 01-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:33 PM

I’m thinking of trying the middle pedal position and the rear seat bottom hinge. Will that work with stock links to yield full rudder throw?

RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM

I had to move my rudder pedals to the farthest forward position and have my seat back it the farthest aft position. I’m 6’1” with a 32 inch inseam. I still wish I had another two inches of leg space but my current configuration works. Give yourself as much leg room as possible - you won’t be sorry.

I realize the 14 is bigger than the 7 but my legs need room. I guess that’s why your building a 14.
IO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Older Aerotronics built panel Dual GRT Horizon WS, GRT EIS, Garmin 340, 335, Dual 430s, TruTrak 385 A/P with auto level, FlightBox hard wired to WS, Dynon D10A with internal battery (backup EFIS), 406 MHz ELT.
Retired - Living the dream - And going broke!

Last edited by Tankerpilot75 : 01-09-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Default What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I had to move my rudder pedals to the farthest forward position and have my seat back it the farthest aft position. Iím 6í1Ē with a 32 inch inseam. I still wish I had another two inches of leg space but my current configuration works. Give yourself as much leg room as possible - you wonít be sorry.

I realize the 14 is bigger than the 7 but my legs need room. I guess thatís why your building a 14.
Iím 6í3Ē with a 34Ē inseam, rudders full forward, seat full back. Could use more leg room, but love it as is compared with anything else. I made new rudder cabl links to solve the problem Bill noted, above. One station longer is all i needed.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:24 PM

I sure wish Vanís would fix this problem and make new longer rudder attachements so the pedals can be put in the fwd position as designed. I dont think we should have to have these fabricated.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:25 AM

Now is the time to think about a parachute too. Planning on flying with one - either during initial testing or thereafter? A seat pack will add about 3" to your height and a backpack will push your hips forward about 2.5". "Removable" cushions to allow for the chute are the way to go.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarshall234 View Post
Now is the time to think about a parachute too. Planning on flying with one - either during initial testing or thereafter? A seat pack will add about 3" to your height and a backpack will push your hips forward about 2.5". "Removable" cushions to allow for the chute are the way to go.
Absolutely!! I tried to post this question last night, but the site flakiness prevented it from going through properly (or at all). See below

---------

OK, guys, thanks. I didn't have to use the forward-most position with my -8, but it sounds as though I'll need to maximize leg room in the -14. So, stock cushion thicknesses from Flightline, too. Anybody fit a seat 'chute in the -14? I've used the Strong 304 in the past and was thinking about picking up another one.

RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 PM

Sending you a PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:17 AM

Default CS-00015 Extra Hole Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rRob View Post
I sure wish Vanís would fix this problem and make new longer rudder attachements so the pedals can be put in the fwd position as designed. I dont think we should have to have these fabricated.
I'm finally to the point where I have to find a source for the longer CS-00015 links due to the forward location of my rudder pedals. Short of finding a water jet cutting machine, how have others fixed this issue? Has Van's made any longer CS-00015 parts?

Thanks

RV-14 Finish Kit in Progress
EAA Chapter 343 (DTN)
Shreveport, LA