Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Access Front Panels

Need help with memory!
Some time ago there was a discussion about installing Front access panels. There was a company or individual that made the parts to install the access panels. Who was the person? or company?
Thanks

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved
Old 01-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Here is one company.

http://www.mykitairplane.com/product...rvak/index.htm
Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 PM

I made my own, they are very much like the ones shown in the Kitplanes ad. It is mostly labor in making them so you can figure out if you should make or buy. One thing to think about is to have the cover plate thickness less than the skin thickness if you will be using a seal under the cover.
2019 dues paid
Old 01-07-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in SC View Post
I made my own, they are very much like the ones shown in the Kitplanes ad. It is mostly labor in making them so you can figure out if you should make or buy. One thing to think about is to have the cover plate thickness less than the skin thickness if you will be using a seal under the cover.
Another thing to consider is the skin of a monocoque design is primary structure, I would suggest you do your homework/contact Van's prior to cutting a big hole in the structure of your aircraft to be sure you understand what's involved. Just because someone offers a kit for something that doesn't automatically mean it was tested or approved by the aircraft designer (I'm quite sure Van's did not endorse/approve the installation of the above linked kit on their aircraft).

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 01-07-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 AM

Keep in mind you'll want to waterproof those covers as well... Eventually you'll park outside in the rain, and your electronics (presumably) will be right below those openings.

I'd question how often you're really going to need to get back there and whether the additional access is worth it in the long run.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Experimental's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Another thing to consider is the skin of a monocoque design is primary structure, I would suggest you do your homework/contact Van's prior to cutting a big hole in the structure of your aircraft to be sure you understand what's involved. Just because someone offers a kit for something that doesn't automatically mean it was tested or approved by the aircraft designer (I'm quite sure Van's did not endorse/approve the installation of the above linked kit on their aircraft).
I am not meaning to start an argument nor disagree, I fully agree just adding to what has been said:

And that's why they are Experimentals. I fully agree that you need to do your homework and understand what is involved, but no endorsement or approval is needed. Just because they did not do it, does not mean that it can not be done.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2018 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM

The advent of large EFIS screens and designing panels that come out as an assembly eliminates the need for access panels.

Build on.

Carl
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM

The whole top skin is screwed on a RV-4 or Rocket. No reason to ever have to lay on ones back to get to stuff like brake master cylinders, things on the firewall, etc.

It would not be difficult to implement a variation of this on the 6/7/9, forward of the windshield on sliders.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Thumbs up Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
The advent of large EFIS screens and designing panels that come out as an assembly eliminates the need for access panels.
Build on.
Carl
I would agree with this also. With the way panel equipment is today, I would try to keep everything on the front part of the sub panel. It is a lot easier to sit in the seat and work on the stuff behind the panel. If I was building today I would design everything to be accessible while seating in the seat if possible. I do love my "Affordable (three section) Panel". With the new large holes for screens that helps also.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2018 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Pulling the EFIS(s) gets you past the panel, but there is a subpanel ahead of that. Forward access covers get you into that area.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhester View Post
I would agree with this also. With the way panel equipment is today, I would try to keep everything on the front part of the sub panel. It is a lot easier to sit in the seat and work on the stuff behind the panel. If I was building today I would design everything to be accessible while seating in the seat if possible. I do love my "Affordable (three section) Panel". With the new large holes for screens that helps also.