- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 06:06 PM

Default RV-12iS Avionics Packages Available to Order

RV-12iS Avionics Packages Available to Order

November 16, 2018 Ė Vanís Aircraft has announced that it has opened orders for its RV-12iS avionics kits, which include complete state-of-the-art avionics options from both Dynon and Garmin. Builders may order these kits beginning today using the RV-12iS Avionics Kit order forms, which are located at:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/order-forms.htm
Vanís anticipates shipping initial orders for these kits starting in December. Note that when building the RV-12iS, the avionics kit is typically installed after the powerplant kit due to building sequence dependencies. Therefore, customers who have already ordered and received their RV-12iS Powerplant kit will have shipping priority if their avionics kit order is placed by December 15th.

Q&A

I am building the RV-12iS aircraft kit. What applies in my case?
  • If your RV-12iS aircraft is configured with the Rotax 912 iS Sport engine, you should order your choice of these newly-released avionics kit packages and options.
  • If your RV-12iS aircraft is equipped with a 912 ULS engine, an avionics kit configured for your engine/airframe combination will be available to order by January 7, 2019.

Can I customize these new avionics kits?

The available configuration options Ė for both Garmin and Dynon equipment options Ė are listed on the avionics kit order forms. When building an ELSA aircraft, you must choose one of the complete packages from the approved options listed on the forms.

I have ordered an SLSA RV-12iS thatís being built by the factory. Do I need to order these kits?

No. As an SLSA aircraft owner, your avionics selections are made using the SLSA ordering forms, which are up to date with the all available avionics options. Please contact Vanís SLSA support with any questions.
What should I do if Iím required to have a TSOíd radio and/or 8.33 kHz spacing as in certain countries that have those requirements?
Our ďinternationalĒ avionics kit, which includes an ETSO/TSO-approved radio that provides both 8.33 kHz and 25kHz channel spacing, will be available for order by early January, 2019.

What about availability of the IFR avionics package Vanís uses on the RV-12iST trainer airplane?

An IFR avionics package that features the Garmin GTN 650 GPS/NAV/COM radio (which is also TSO approved and supports 8.33 kHz channel spacing) and the GMA 245 audio panel will be available to order by early February, 2019.

I have an original-style RV-12 and Iím interested in upgrading my avionics. Do these new kits apply to my airplane?

No, they do not. The original RV-12 avionics kits remain available for purchase and should be installed in the original RV-12 with the Rotax 912ULS engine. The original kits use much of the same avionics equipment, but include wiring, connectors and other equipment specific to the original aircraft configuration.

When will Vanís have an ADS-B Out option for my ďlegacyĒ RV-12 with a Dynon D-180?

There are two paths to ADS-B Out compliance for the legacy RV-12 aircraft.
  • Vanís will publish a service letter in February, 2019 that will document a supported ADS-B Out solution for owners of original/legacy RV-12s configured with the Dynon D-180 EFIS and Garmin GTX-327 transponder. This solution will be a UAT/978 MHz add-on system, and will not replace existing equipment. Integration/installation instructions will be provided in the service letter.
  • For owners who wish to upgrade their D-180 instrument panels to a newer technology, itís also worth noting that ADS-B In and Out upgrades are already available for original RV-12 aircraft via the installation of upgraded avionics/panel packages (specifically the supported Dynon Skyview, Skyview Touch, Skyview HDX and Garmin G3X Touch systems).

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Scott, what powder coat color options are there for the instrument panel?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Nice!

Great to have these options available!

To first time builders, or those who are intimidated by electronics wiring: you have no idea how much time and hassle these fully developed panel options will save you. As with all things from Van's I think they're a pretty darn good value as well after looking at the pricing.
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold

Last edited by randylervold : 11-17-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Y View Post
Scott, what powder coat color options are there for the instrument panel?
Greg was the person posting the Avionics kit announcement so he would be the best person to confirm, but I believe the prefinished panels will be offered in only one color. The same metallic medium grey that was used on the prototype (N912VA)

The kit will include all 3 panel sections and the switch panel / throttle control portion of the center console, finish in this color with all of the placarding /logos silk screened on (with the exception of the N number), as shown in this photo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 11-17-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM

I'm happy they announced the rough date for the GTN package -- I'm looking forward to finally getting IFR rated! I wasn't even thinking about doing the rating until the option appeared on the roadmap...
Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM

Any update on the availability of the IFR avionics package?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 PM

At Oshkosh they announced it was available as an option, but I don't see an updated order form yet.

Rob
Moved to Hangar 8/11/2019
Wings ordered 12/28/2018 arrived March 25th
2019 Dues Paid
Old 08-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subpar_bucker View Post
Any update on the availability of the IFR avionics package?
The online order form will be published this week. Iíll be sure to post here when itís up!

greg

Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 08-18-2019, 07:10 PM

I looked at the RV-12 at Independence airport yesterday. Very nice. It had a "TOGA" button for the missed approach segment... "Impressive" ;-)

DM
Old 08-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Default IFR avionics package order form now available

Quick follow-up: We've published the order form for the RV-12iS IFR package. You'll find it here.

Announcement with the details is in this forum thread.

Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)