Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 PM

My airplane always pulls to the left during taxi -and needs either right brake tap or a fairly consistent right brake application to keep it on the center line. Other RV-12 pilots in my group have reported something similar.

I have attributed it to P-factor. I need about 2200 rpm to taxi level, and - some of KPWT taxiways climb uphill quite a bit - needing 2500-2600 pm - and figured that was the way it is.

We checked the nose wheel fork pull pressure values, and have also played with the nose tire pressures, but other than that have done nothing about toe-in or toe-out or any of the rest of this stuff.

Bob Bogash
N737G
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Pulling to the left

With these very light aircraft, when flying solo, the extra weight on the left main gear will cause more tire friction and a tendency to turn left.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 AM

Default A few thoughts....

Have you checked both main gear bearings - set to Matco specs? Could be uneven rolling friction. How tight is your nose wheel as far as castoring goes? If set per the plans it may be way too tight - mine was. Is your nose wheel perfectly aligned in the vertical plane?

There are a couple of theories stated above that I don't think could cause your problem. Weight of pilot on one side is balanced out by fuel on the other. Both close to center line - unlikely to cause a noticeable difference. P-factor would only come into play with nose high attitude - seems unlikely you are taxiing around at a high enough speed to get the nose up.

Here is something you could try, to isolate the left turning tendency to either the mains or the nose gear. Loosen the castoring nut way up so there is no friction and the nose wheel swivels freely. The try pushing the airplane ahead on a level surface and see if it tends to go one way or another.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM

We checked the fork pull at about 15-16 lbs on Friday, John - less than the spec - but haven't operated since (I'm involved in a major maintenance episode, that I think will have evolved into an early Annual.)

I set the main wheel bearings VERY carefully (actually RESET them very carefully), but will give them another look.

Actually, the turning while taxiing is not a big issue for me - my Number One Issue currently is wandering during take-off due to the free-castering nose wheel, the P-factor, and maybe poor pilot technique. I've been playing with the fork pull, tire pressures, checked the rudder cables, and worked on the technique - been getting LOTS of advice from fellow pilots.

Hope to resume flying by mid-week.

Bob Bogash
N737G
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 PM

The first few times I took off I made the mistake of not applying enough back pressure on the stick and encountered some wheel-barrowing and tendency to wander in a squirrelly (engineering term?) fashion. Since improving my technique there have been no problems.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM

The taxiways are crowned for water drainage at my airport. Unless my nosewheel is rolling on the painted centerline, the plane is heading downhill.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM

Ken,

I just mounted my gear legs and wheels/tires this week. I found one axle to be straight but the other had some toe out so I ordered some shims from Van's. I would spend some time to get this right based upon my experience with other RVs/Rockets. I believe it has significant impact on the taxiing and landing qualities. It should be set as straight as you can get it.

Yes, there are many things that can affect the handling qualities and cause the airplane to steer one way or the other. However, you have to get the toe set to neutral first or you'll never solve it. I flew for a year with an ill-handling airplane before I took the time to get it fixed. The difference was amazing. It was a totally different airplane after that.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 12-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Same left pulling problem here. Put in .5 degree shim to correct a left toe-out condition, alignment is now dead nuts on. Tire pressures are identical. Even measured break away torque of wheels - 8 in lbs on both sides. My conclusion is that the cause is having a 180 pound person in the left seat. Doesn’t help there was only 50 lbs of fuel on the right side. A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation says the left wheel sees approximately 35 lbs more weight than the right under this loading. Tomorrow we’ll taxi from the other side and let you know.

Last edited by Tacco : 12-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacco View Post
Even measured break away torque of wheels - 8 in lbs on both sides.
I don't understand break away torque of wheels... Are you talking about main wheels? The mains should spin pretty freely indicating no bearing preload drag or excessive brake pad drag.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 511

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 PM

If you have the standard MATCO main wheels on your RV-12 they should not spin freely. MATCO specifies a certain bearing pre-load and drag for their wheel bearing assemblies. This is all explained in the MATCO on-line service literature. Note that the MATCO nose wheel uses a different kind of bearing and has a different torquing procedure.

See MATCO literature at: https://static.veracart.com/matco/it.../document1.pdf
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 830+ hours (as of Oct 2019)!
VAF donation through June 2020.

Last edited by DHeal : 12-15-2018 at 07:53 PM.