11-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Highland Village, TX
Teen Flight (teenagers building an RV-12)
....questions about the Teen Flight program posted here will be answered by one of the program mentors.
Additional Info On 'Teen Flight'
...courtesy Scott McDaniels
"A few more factoids to go along with the article written by Van about the 'Teen Flight' program in the new RVator
- We have 12 teens ranging from 14 to 17 years old.
- All boys (I got no interest from any girls other Ken K's, and my daughters, but they were not quite old enough).
- The teens have a wide range in their level of interest in aviation...a couple have taken some flight training. A couple of others were just recently introduced through a Young Eagles flight. The rest fall somewhere in between.
- There is a somewhat equal mix of school backgrounds with some home schooled, some in alternative schools, and some in public schools.
- They are all very sharp kids. They learn quickly, and are already very knowledgeable about all the different aircraft rivets and hardware, the different drill bit sizes associated with that hardware, etc.
- There are about 20 mentors involved. 10 or so are on a regular rotation schedule and the rest are standby or special projects (videography and photography).
- Every attempt is made to keep the teens doing all of the work with the mentors supervising, and demonstrating how to do something when needed.
- I hope to have a completed and ready to fly RV-12 by the end of the traditional school year. Considering our progress so far it looks doable.
- We have a blog that we are trying to keep up to date with the progress we make each week. The address is www.teenflight.blogspot.com
- One of the secondary goals is to document the program as much as possible to make it easier for someone else to repeat the program if the were interested in doing something like this (an EAA chapter, RV builders group, etc.)
Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 11-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.