Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karetaker View Post
Another consideration would be to build a bench/cabinet instead of a table. By this I mean something with a combination of drawers, doors and shelves. I found free plans on line and customized them to build the bench to fit my needs. You can see and hear about my bench in the first two minutes of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juqb6kyVNwY

I believe I still have the plans. If interested, I can email you pictures.
Wow--that's a great shop! And that drawered-bench looks incredible. But dude, you're a furniture maker. I'm not...lol. It would probably take me as much time to build a bench with all those drawers, as it would for me to actually build the empennage for the RV-10.

Seriously though--beautiful shop! I need to check your channel to see if you ever put up a video on "site B".

Thanks for posting.

TB
RV-10 #42064 (emp kit ordered 8/14/19)
Green Bay, WI
Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Beautiful shop!

Comment on the 3/4" ply that the video said that work bench was made of.... 1/2" ply is fine for drawers and backs of cabinets.

Also, I needed space for putting skins and panels and things like that. I added some drawers on two of my workbenches but still left a clear shelf at the bottom, as much as I could, for storage. I'm using every bit of that, too.

I leave the kit boxes out in the hangar and bring home what I need to work on. At this stage in the project, canoe betting built up, there's a lot here at the house. The engine, cowl, etc., are not at the house.

I'm building a -3. With an RV-10, the build sequence is more defined so that might be easier. But some friends with an RV-10 QB needed to find places for the engine and fuselage when they were finishing the wings.

Dave
Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM

I built two 4x8 foot tables that worked fine in a hangar, or in a shop where you can access both sides. In my garage, where I had to move them up against the wall, it was sometimes hard to reach things that found their way to the back. When I retired and no longer had the benefit of the company paying for the $1/lb move, I let them go with another project when I left California for Michigan. The hangar at my current home came with about 18 feet of 24-inch wide melamine countertop along one wall. The width seems adequate, but just barely. If I ever replace them, I think Iíll go to at least 30-inch width.

Whatever size you build, let the work surface overhang the frame by about 2 inches in front and on at least one side to allow for clamping of workpieces. IMHO, the lack of overhang is the biggest drawback of building EAA Chapter 1000 benches exactly to plan.

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Thanks Tom. I confess, that bench build took some time, but had I built it to the original plans, it would have taken 1/2 the time. Lots of good advice here, I am sure you can build something nice that will fit your needs.

Site B...I have not been there for quite some time. Will be posting a video soon on my channel explaining why. However, I am getting back on track and will do an intro vid. out there in due time.