VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Default Details on cooling and general update.

I have been out of state for a few weeks which is why I have not been posting the progress of the project.

At this point I can not be happier with the performance of this engine set up.

The last challenge I had to overcome was with the cooling problems. I believe that most of the high temps I saw were caused by a poor fitting radiator cap. It was not properly pressurizing the system. I installed a mechanical 15 PSI pressure gauge in the panel and learned a lot about how the cooling system was working. In short things work very well. I have to run the engine over 22 inches MAP before it overheats now and the cap releases between 10-15 lbs which seems to be a good pressure. I am not entirely happy with the cheap feel of this radiator cap but it is working well. (keep in mind this is all happening static on ground run ups and I am not flying it).

But I have to wait until I get a larger prop before I can load the engine more, especially to do testing with the T3/T4 turbo.

Another interesting thing is that I learned that LED gauges are great, in low light, but easily get washed out in direct sunlight, but LCD displays work great! LCD has sort of disappeared and are considered "outdated" technology but I am switching my LED gauges to LCD gauges so I can read them in sunlight. Which is another reason why I still like analog (steam) gauges.

The next step is to modify the cowl to fit the engine installation which is going to take me a few weeks (at least). I suspect that this part is a bit too off topic for this thread so I don't really plan to post on that part of the build. If you have questions feel free to ask, or PM.

I have ordered all the parts to install the dual Walbro 155LPH fuel pumps and that will be after or during the cowl mod.

Lots more to do! But all is well.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 08-18-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Default cowling mod

As I slave away with moding my cowling and remembering that I said I was not going to post about this, I got to thinking that anyone who may decide to venture off in to installing a "Alternative" engine will probably have to do some cowl modification, hence it makse sense to share a bit about this.....

I had to modify my cowling to fit this set up. I had built this cowl to fit a different engine set up. With the R18 Honda, it need to be dropped about 5/8 of an inch and lengthened about 1/2 an inch.

Looking at this photo you may think you see "bondo". Not the case. I use West Systems epoxy and lots of micro balloons with some sillica (cabosil). You will see green foam. This is what I call "flourist" foam that is readily available at any hobby or craft shop. Plus it is very easy to sand and shape. It is excellent and inexpensive when you want add volume and it is NOT structural. So for me it was an excellent choice to add 1/2" to the nose. Then cover with epoxy/micro.

The next photo is a rough fit of the spinner. I have actually done a lot more filling and sanding after this, but it is coming along nicely.

There is a lot more work to do. I will be adding more to the lower cowl and sanding to the correct profile and then cover it all with a layer of glass before painting.

Feel free to ask questions if you want.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 08-25-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Cowl update

Just in case anyone thought I had been relaxing on some far away place - not the case at all! I have been slaving away building up the cowl to fit the engine/prop better.

Here are two photos of the progress. It needs more buffing and polishing but it did turn out fine with me.

Here is one more...

I will be glad when is done, fiberglass is certainly not my specialty, but I would rather do it myself and put up with all the cosmetic flaws than hire it done. To me that is what Experimental Aviation is all about.

I should get my new (72") prop in a few weeks and I am real anxious to do some testing with it....

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 09-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

Getting close now. Remember to brush cobwebs off flying skills. A lot will be happening on first flights and pilot will need to be very familiar with flying the airframe while sorting engine info. Very interesting to follow this thread with approach and decision making involved.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 488

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H