VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 AM

Default AST hinges quite tight...

I just finished installing the AST hinges. When installing them there is no gap between the left and right tabs which I assume is ok because they move in unison. The hinges themselves are both pressed to one side but not too badly. They move quite easily but there is a noticeable squeak. I was wondering if anyone experienced this issue. Perhaps a solution would be to file the binding sides of the hinge eyes slightly to decrease the tension.. Thanks for any thoughts...
Old 08-13-2019, 10:15 PM

When you riveted the horns to the AST ribs the shop head of the rivet is against very thin material necessarily, which causes the ribs to bulge outwards by about 0.25 mm. When you place the two ASTs together they are 0.5 mm further apart from one another than they should be and there is your problem. I took mine apart and put ever so slight an inwards dimple in the rib before riveting to counteract the puckering effect of the shop head on thin material and hey presto a perfect fit. Also make sure that your countersinking of the rivets is absolutely perfectly flush, because if it is not the manufactured rivet heads will push the two parts of the AST apart as well.
Note that this is the way I did mine and must not be construed as advice on how anyone else should do theirs.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakashi View Post
When you riveted the horns to the AST ribs the shop head of the rivet is against very thin material necessarily, which causes the ribs to bulge outwards by about 0.25 mm. When you place the two ASTs together they are 0.5 mm further apart from one another than they should be and there is your problem. I took mine apart and put ever so slight an inwards dimple in the rib before riveting to counteract the puckering effect of the shop head on thin material and hey presto a perfect fit. Also make sure that your countersinking of the rivets is absolutely perfectly flush, because if it is not the manufactured rivet heads will push the two parts of the AST apart as well.
Note that this is the way I did mine and must not be construed as advice on how anyone else should do theirs.
Thanks for taking the time to share that... It makes sense..
Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 PM

Roy,

The fit will become even tighter if your painter puts a thick layer of paint on each of the horns where they meet. I had mine painted but told the painter to go easy where the two horns mate. Even with thin paint, the fit got much tighter after paint than before.

Happy building.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2020
Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Bit of lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy25101 View Post
I just finished installing the AST hinges. When installing them there is no gap between the left and right tabs which I assume is ok because they move in unison. The hinges themselves are both pressed to one side but not too badly. They move quite easily but there is a noticeable squeak. I was wondering if anyone experienced this issue. Perhaps a solution would be to file the binding sides of the hinge eyes slightly to decrease the tension.. Thanks for any thoughts...
As long as they move easily, just apply a bit of light oil or Boelube into the hinges. They’ll “wear in” and stop squeaking soon enough.
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.