Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Lightspeed and Pmag both offer optional and expensive equipment to observe values and modify existing curves but they are not fully user programmable for custom curves. Yes, you can drop $600-$900 more for to get some of this capability with a Pmag.
Ross,
If we are to keep this objective, then we ought to use the same format for all brand, that is all I am saying. I would have found it objective if you had put extra cost, much as it has been done for SDS for Backup power.

Then the user can investigate to see how much and to what extend those capabilities exist, whether is programmability or the back up power.
Dues paid
Old 07-27-2019, 02:27 PM

To be fair though, there is some confusion about "programability". Some believe that the curve shift offered on the Pmag qualifies, but it's not the same as the SDS stuff. It's a grey area we need to work through as new products emerge.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I'm not sure how they measure MAP but I do know if you disconnect the line and leave it open to ambient pressure, it will not advance.
That only addresses if the MAP sensor gets disconnected from it's source. That doesn't address what Michael was talking about, which is a failure of the MAP sensor and the eroneous data it will provide to the CPU.

Larry
Old 07-27-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Ross,
If we are to keep this objective, then we ought to use the same format for all brand, that is all I am saying. I would have found it objective if you had put extra cost, much as it has been done for SDS for Backup power.

Then the user can investigate to see how much and to what extend those capabilities exist, whether is programmability or the back up power.
I agree with you except that none of the other EIs are truly programmable as SDS, as Mike says below, so you'd need to qualify that in your chart.

My aim was a simple chart showing the basics of standard capabilities, costs and features, which can't go into great detail. I threw the floor open for someone to make a more detailed chart as was done before by the OP of this thread. The invitation is open.

For detailed comparisons, I'd suggest folks hit each EI manufacturer's website and see which features and price best suits their mission.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 434.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 07-27-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Lightspeed and Pmag both offer optional and expensive equipment to observe values and modify existing curves but they are not fully user programmable for custom curves. Yes, you can drop $600-$900 more for to get some of this capability with a Pmag.
As for Lightspeed, you can connect a simple 10k potentiometer to the box to be able to shift the existing timing curve up or down or both (forgot which), and you can connect an output of the box to your EFIS to display the actual timing. No need to buy the (expensive) standalone indicator from Lightspeed.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:06 PM

While we're being fair, let's add Paisley's System 32, since he has now posted an installation manual.

The EDIS-based system too.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:42 PM

Is the System 32 actually flying, or is it still vaporware?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM

I just listed the popular, commercially available systems. There are others. Home made stuff is usually one-off unless Dan is going to offer EDIS kits? I've built fixed timing stuff 20 years ago with a couple Hall Effects and an HEI module for $50 but I won't be producing them for sale.

Anyone who wants to compile a bigger list and all features- go for it. I just responded to George's post for an update.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 434.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Efii

The system32 is NOT vaporware. I have the complete system, in hand. First star very soon...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I just listed the popular, commercially available systems. There are others. Home made stuff is usually one-off unless Dan is going to offer EDIS kits? I've built fixed timing stuff 20 years ago with a couple Hall Effects and an HEI module for $50 but I won't be producing them for sale.
Assuming apple-to-apples crank triggering, the only "homemade" components (cue the dire music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B38ohaelNBQ ) for an EDIS based system are a toothed wheel and a pickup bracket.

EDIS box, Ford OEM - I've bought NOS units for $100. Used EDIS units are found everywhere, worldwide. It's a sealed brick.

Megajolt/E MK2 controller - AutoSport Labs - $199

Pickup, coil, plug wires, boots, plugs - generic auto parts

Plug bushings - multiple sources (including SDS)

It's an electronic ignition, not a nuclear weapon.