- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Shimmy ripped off nose gear fairing

Hi all,

I wanted to share a surprising shimmy experience and would like to know if anyone had ever had a similar experience with the —10.

I was landing with probably 10—15kt crosswind from the left and experienced, after the nosewheel came down, a short shimmy (hard surface RWY). I taxied back to parking where I was surprised to see that about half of the rear nosewheel fairing was ripped off.
I am flying my -10 since 2013 and nothing like this ever has happened. On my last annual I checked and varifyed the breakout force, and I’ll check again next time I’m in the hangar.
My hypotheses is that the crosswind might have forced the nosewheel out of center and started the shimmy after touchdown.
See picture below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XHUVXg8LSYxd1ZiL8

Kind regards
Michael
Switzerland

Osh’18 OWW volunteer

Countries HB-YNN has visited:
🇨🇭 Switzerland, 🇩🇪 Germany, 🇦🇹 Austria, 🇮🇹 Italy, 🇭🇷 Croatia, 🇫🇷 France, 🇪🇸 Spain, 🇵🇹 Portugal, 🇸🇮 Slovenia, 🇭🇺 Hungary, 🇷🇴 Romania, 🇷🇸 Serbia
www.wellenzohn.net
First flight Video: https://youtu.be/X7EQ81C3xSA

Last edited by Michael Wellenzohn : 03-10-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 AM

Default Nope

I’ve never seen anything like that.
Portland, OR

2019 - Dues paid
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 AM

I had my 14A nose wheel fairing crack and separate but along the lower sides next to the wheel, no photos. It happened when landing on a rough grass strip.
The gap around the tire was about 5/8" and the only thing I could figure was that the tire compressed or deflected sideways (or both) enough to contact the fairing.

maybe if the x-wind skewed the wheel sideways and the resulting shimmy deflected the tire enough to contact the fiberglass? Possibly some rubber marks on the broken pieces?
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 03-11-2019, 01:15 AM

I had a severe shimmy on a 182 about 5 years ago that destroyed the nose wheel fairing on it also. I have since built a wheel spinning machine so I can dynamically balance the wheels on the plane at landing speeds using my prop/rotor balance equipment. I copied this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0HPJjKXzzE

Phil
Old 03-11-2019, 04:23 AM

Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...

guess shimmy can develop for many a reason, e.g. friction not right, tire pressure, etc. Also happens from time to time on the mains of tailwheel RVs as the dampening action of the spring steel rods are close to nil.

But a shimmy event should not necessarily lead to a destroyed wheelpant.
What strikes me most is that the fracture line is almost straight and looks very dry... manufacturing defect?

Have you had shimmy on your nose gear before?

DC

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
RV-6 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner
Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 AM

I landed the -7a once in a strong left crosswind and encountered nosewheel shimmy. After the airplane slowed down the shimmy went away and I later discovered brackets holding the nosewheel to the fairing had broken.

Never had this happen before or since; something to do with the strong crosswind apparently caused it.

I am lucky that it didn't damage the fairing itself as in your unfortunate incident.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:33 AM

In high crosswinds we tend to plant the landings to minimize the crosswind from blowing us around. Check the fairing gap at the trailing edge of tire to make sure it's adequate to clear a deformed landing tire.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 03-11-2019, 05:33 AM

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago just before OSH. As you can imagine getting new parts, finishing, and painting in a couple weeks was fun. (not!)

I was planning on performing my condition inspection the following week after the incident. The root cause was that the tension on the nose wheel had loosened to 13lbs. With a strong crosswind, the wheel was cantered into the wind. When the wheel hit the pavement, it rapidly oscillated back and forth, which is what caused the fiberglass damage to the wheel pant.

I had to tighten the nut on the nose wheel about 3 months after first flight, the first condition inspection, and the third condition inspection. It's been three years since the last time and it's been holding steady ever since.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:38 AM

It’s been the 375th landing on the-10 and in the low speeds ~20kt I sometimes have short shimmy but tapping the brakes eliminated it straight away. Tire pressure is unchanged at least optically but I’ll measure once I’m back with the plane. Another point a colleague pointed out that the axle bolt whasher has been under the bracket and not over it. That would increase the mass which could swing around and lead to the overload of the fiberglas.
Regardso
Michael
Switzerland

Osh’18 OWW volunteer

Countries HB-YNN has visited:
🇨🇭 Switzerland, 🇩🇪 Germany, 🇦🇹 Austria, 🇮🇹 Italy, 🇭🇷 Croatia, 🇫🇷 France, 🇪🇸 Spain, 🇵🇹 Portugal, 🇸🇮 Slovenia, 🇭🇺 Hungary, 🇷🇴 Romania, 🇷🇸 Serbia
www.wellenzohn.net
First flight Video: https://youtu.be/X7EQ81C3xSA

Last edited by Michael Wellenzohn : 03-11-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 AM

Default Tire balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusmax View Post
I had a severe shimmy on a 182 about 5 years ago that destroyed the nose wheel fairing on it also. I have since built a wheel spinning machine so I can dynamically balance the wheels on the plane at landing speeds using my prop/rotor balance equipment. I copied this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0HPJjKXzzE

Phil
Hi Phil, I’m thinking of doing the same. Did you have to balance the wheel spinning machine itself? I was wondering how much vibration would be coupled from the spinner upper machine to the tire. Did you use a turned aluminum drive cylinder as shown in the video. I was thinking of using a hard rubber tire from the aviation isle of harbor freight.
Thanks