What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the highest altitude you've taken off from

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
For the most part I haven't worried about the altitude of airports before take off since finishing the RV, but I'm curious about its limits just the same. I'm interested to know...

What is the highest altitude airport you have operated your RV from, or highest density altitude.

How is your plane equipted? (Engine/Prop)

Did you do this at gross, or close to it?

Have you flown off of grass in extreme conditions?

Lastly, how did the RV perform? (take off, landing roll, climb)

Best,

Last edited:
I flew out of Leadville, CO two years ago at about 40 lbs over gross (1840). Plane flew great, still had excellent climb, only used half the runway or less. I have a 7A with 0-360 and Hartzell BA prop.

Roberta

Leadville

Leadville @ 11,500 DA. O-320 fixed. Maybe 400 fpm but hard to tell with ever present up and down drafts. Less stessfull than a 182 at 7000 DA. The roll is FAST though!

Leadville, CO, 13,500' density alt, gross weight, RV-6, 2500hr+ 150hp, fixed pitch wood prop. No problem at all.

Hi Bryan, We routinely fly out of Big Bear (elev 6,750) in the summer time when temps are over 80 degrees. That puts the DA over 9,000. Although its not Leadville, it is a good test. No doubt the constant speed prop is an advantage by being able to get 2700 rpm on take off. Big Bear has one of the lowest fuel prices in SoCal so it becomes a breakfast or lunch favorite. At near gross weght (1800 lbs), you can definately notice the difference in take off roll (landing roll is longer too because your touchdown speed is higher than sea level) but climb rates are still in the 700 - 900 ft/min range.
The RV is much less handicaped than our spam betheren.

Really not very applicable to your question, but......

I've flown both a C-130 and a C-141 into and out of La Paz, Boliva, field elevation 13,500' (the highest airport in the world).

You really, really notice the reduced performance. Probably the worst thing is just walking around on the ramp -- some crewmembers had to use portable oxygen bottles during loading/unloading and refueling operations. Amazingly, the locals are totally acclimated and seem unaffected by the altitude.

Mike

A few weeks ago I flew out of Bryce Canyon, Utah at a density altitude of 9300 feet in my 6A. Two people (not large) full fuel and lots of baggage. 700 ft per minute climb. with 180 horse, fixed pitch metal prop. Nice to read about Big Bear. My sister just got a cabin there, I think I'll make a trip!

mtclay said:
I've flown both a C-130 and a C-141 into and out of La Paz, Boliva, field elevation 13,500' (the highest airport in the world).
Bangda airport Tibet is currently the highest commercial airport in the world, at an elevation of 14,200 ft. I believe there are gravel strips higher than that in Tibet.

Kevin Horton said:
Bangda airport Tibet is currently the highest commercial airport in the world, at an elevation of 14,200 ft. I believe there are gravel strips higher than that in Tibet.

Holy runway length, batman.

"RWY Length: 3.4miles/5500meters (should be a little more than 18000 ft)
"

Engine Out

Rwy length sufficient?
And Boeing did flight tests to ensure that the aircraft could cope with the engine out case, turn to remain in the valley- the peaks are higher- and return for a landing.
Pete.

Flew out of Leadville (KLXV) this past Monday. We were right at gross weight, temps at 53F, 160hp O-320 behind a wood climb prop. It took a little while to get off the runway, but once we were able to build up some speed in ground effect she still climbed out close to 1000fpm.

CraigH@KRPH said:
Flew out of Leadville (KLXV) this past Monday. We were right at gross weight, temps at 53F, 160hp O-320 behind a wood climb prop. It took a little while to get off the runway, but once we were able to build up some speed in ground effect she still climbed out close to 1000fpm.

1000fpm? Are you sure?
Tom

tin man said:
1000fpm? Are you sure?
Tom
Yep, it's an all out climb prop. Unfortunately I pay for it in cruise - my no wind groundspeeds are around 150-155 mph.

This was my second trip up to LXV. Did it two years ago in a Taylorcraft F21B.

Last edited:
Slightly different approach...

All this talk is fascinating to me, as I fly out of Ft. Collins/Loveland in Colorado, and almost ALL of my flying is out of "high altitude" airports. Leadville is a non event...
However,
This past week I flew back to Chicago and did some flying around there with my sister-in-law. What an experience!

Now, I did learn to fly and got most of my hours flying in the flatlands, so I "grew up" with low airports and slow groundspeeds in the pattern. This was really like transitioning into a Cub or Champ from the -4. It seemed like final approach took FOREVER! Every landing seemed like I had a huge headwind. (Some did, and those were REALLY slow!)

Kinda fun, but I found myself thinking "get this thing on the ground, already"!

Jeff

Back