What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

falcon vertical compass feedback request

trib

Well Known Member
I'm looking at getting a vertical card compass and the falcon model is about $100 cheaper (not TSO'd), but looks pretty much the same as a precision model. Does anyone have any feedback on the falcon model and an opinion on which to get?

I can't vouch for the Falcon compass, but I put a Precision compass in my SeaRey 6 years ago and it is still fine as far as I know and I have one in my 7A for two years now it it is doing fine.

Roberta

No advice on which to get, but you should know that they recommend against mounting in the panel. This killed my enthusiasm for them.

I mounted mine in the panel. If you keep it away from too much ferrous material in the panel, it will be fine. You just need to plan and make some allowances.

It can be adjusted to compensate for magnetic interference just like any other compass.

I do have other Falcon gages in my panel from Van's and they seem to be OK so far. Flying with them for almost two years.

Roberta

panel74pe.jpg

Roberta,

My understanding regarding panel mount was problems from vibration rather than mag interference. I think Dan C. had his in the panel and declared it useless. I apologize if it was somebody else, but I do recall folks saying that a panel mount was a problem. Glad yours works well, cuz they do look a lot better than my whiskey deal.

Go for the nicer one

trib said:
I'm looking at getting a vertical card compass and the falcon model is about $100 cheaper (not TSO'd), but looks pretty much the same as a precision model. Does anyone have any feedback on the falcon model and an opinion on which to get?

I have the non Precision vertical card compass. I mounted it on the windshield strut. Worked great for about 170 hours. Not sure if a magnet got near it or what but it's totally useless now. Reads whatever it wants to as long as it's not correct. Go for the nicer one.

FWIW (not in an RV) we've been using one for 5 or 6 years without a problem in our AirCam.

James Freeman

Hi Steve,

I don't seem to have any issues with vibration. I'm sure vibration would not be good for a VCC or anything else that would be vibration sensitive. The mount they have for the compass to place it on the glareshield may or may not isolate it. I guess I always thought the reason behind mounting it away from the panel was due to magnetic influence, but surely vibration would not be good. My thought would be any panel vibration bad enough to wreck a VCC wouldn't be good for anything else in the panel.

Roberta

I bought the cheap one for my -4, it didn't last long. Go for the good one. The Chinese one is best represented by the ICAO identifier for Rapid City Regional airport.

Jeff

You guys (and girls too) are great. I appreciate all the feedback and pictures too. Seems some good and bad feedback. Think I'll spend the extra $100 so I don't end up with an expensive paperweight to go along with the precision compass.

I have a Falcon mag. compass in my panel. It's always right on the money - as long as I'm heading 210 degrees.

Never did work.

Don't really care

John Miller

Aircraft Spruce as well as other places sell the Precision VCC. The cheaper non TSO'd unit is the one that seems to give people all the problems. My Precision VCC is still fine after two years.

Roberta

Either one

Y'all need to do some googling for these VCC's. Most of the certified guys wont touch them. They are very sensative and the belief is that the magnets can be upset very easily. Once that happens, they are useless. I looked are replacing a whiskey compass in a Mooney a year ago, and ran into all kinds of poor reports for both. The one the everyone does seem to agree is a good one is not a VCC, but a whiskey altho in multiple configurations including a panel mountable version... That the SIRS compasses...

YMMV

Alan

Looking for set-up instructions on a Vertical Card Compass.

I have a Falcon Vertical Card compass but no set-up instructions - can anyone tell me what the recommended procedure for set-up is? - I wish to have mine mounted on top of my panel.
There is a green and a yellow offet adjustment, but which affects which compass headings?

FWIW
The only thing I know is you need to use a non-ferrous screwdriver to install/adjust these. I read an article years ago about someone who found this out emperically. IIRC the ferrous screwdrivers caused the magnets in the compass to pop the assembly off a pivot. When he used a beryllium/copper screwdriver, everything was fine. Take all this with a grain of salt, because it has been many years since I read the article.

Best,

Never tried the Falcon, but had a Precision TSO'd model in my Cessna 170B. It was mounted on the windshield and dead nuts on. Most accurate non-remote compass I'd ever had in an aircraft.

dhnatio said:
I have a Falcon Vertical Card compass but no set-up instructions - can anyone tell me what the recommended procedure for set-up is? - I wish to have mine mounted on top of my panel.
There is a green and a yellow offet adjustment, but which affects which compass headings?

I have a copy of the Falcon instructions, I can scan it for you if you still need it.

Falcon vertical card compass

I will take the Falcon vertical card compass from you. If you do not have work for it any more, I will be glad to have it.

Shoot me an email if you want to part with it.

Thanks,

Why would you want one?

A compass that is?

I have been told my DE is perfectly happy with the GPS ground track showing up on the Trutrak A/P as being a suitable backup for the Dynon DG.

Thats how I'm going to take my IFR checkride and I really don't see the need for a compass after that either.

Certainly flying partial panel with GPS track is a whole lot easier than trying to remember OSUN, ONUs or whatever it is...:)

Frank 7a

I purchased the non-tso'd Precision unit about 15 years ago and it has 1000 hours of service... it is just now getting a little sticky.. imho the unit must be mounted on a foam pad (per their instructions), no matter how much vibration you think you might have.

The long term failure mode will most likely be from loss of lubrication, much like a mechanical wrist watch. I have looked inside the unit and there are at least two saphire bearings and it would take a watchmaker to properly clean and re-lubricate them.

frankh said:
A compass that is?

I have been told my DE is perfectly happy with the GPS ground track showing up on the Trutrak A/P as being a suitable backup for the Dynon DG.

Thats how I'm going to take my IFR checkride and I really don't see the need for a compass after that either.

Certainly flying partial panel with GPS track is a whole lot easier than trying to remember OSUN, ONUs or whatever it is...:)

Frank 7a

I understand that the GPS will do perfectly well, but what if you lose all electrical? I can't imagine having no compass whatsoever over unfamiliar terrain.

Electrical design

The idea is to take out single points of failure from your electrical system. Panels should never just "go dark".

For example, my Dynon EFIS has an internal battery backup. Each instrument is fed from its own independantly fused circuit. I have a single battery but backup alternator.

I have the Electric Bob 3 buss design that allows you to disconnect the battry if need be and run on the backup alt.

So yes if you had a major fire that you couldn't shut down then maybe, but are you really going to be reading a compass in these circumstances?

I hope not..:)

Frank

Really?

I'm surprised by a statement like that from a Designated Examiner. The Instrument PTS is very clear on the knowlege required and demonstration of flying a "whiskey" compass. I just asked a DE friend of mine about the use of the GPS "line" as a compass reference. His remark was that he would make sure that the GPS "failed" in flight. But he is old school like me.

John Clark ATP, ASMELS, CFI
RV8 N18U
KSBA

I have a precision vertical card compass in my aircraft that was there when I bought it. I attempted to compensate it today without success. It's 20-40 degrees off on most headings and it doesn't seem like there's enough adjustment in the screws to bring it around to the proper heading.

It's installed near the center of the panel on my slider canopy aircraft, just under the glareshield, but in front of the panel, not inside the panel. Is it possible that this is just a bad location, what with the center support for the canopy bow and all?

Thanks for any tips you might have.

I have a precision vertical card compass in my aircraft that was there when I bought it. I attempted to compensate it today without success. It's 20-40 degrees off on most headings......
Ed,

A couple of items to consider. There is a compass compensator available....sort of pricey at $40.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/compensator.php

The center support for the slider canopy bow is non-magnetic. For that reason, many builders, including me have located the compass on it using a special mount designed for RV's. You may want to relocate your compass high up on that brace, thereby (potentially) isolating it from any interference emanating from the instrument panel.

This time around, I am going to panel mount the vertical compass card and to better isolate it, I am going to shroud it with small sheet of 80% nickel....designed for that specific purpose and said to shield the compass from magnetic interference in the instrument panel.

91.205 requires a mag compass

Frankh,

FAR 91.205 lists instrument requirements for aircraft operated VFR, VFR/Night, and IFR.

All "standard category" aircraft are required to have a "magnetic direction indicator" installed as noted in 91.205(b)(3). If your EFIS displays that info, then I'd think you're in compliance. If not, you should install a mag compass.

Note: The wording in 91.205 speaks of "standard category" aircraft, and the thought is we don't have to comply since we're not standard category (we're experimental). However, the final word on this lies with the person who issues your airworthiness certificate. The certificating FAA inspector, or DAR who issues your certificate will look to 91.205 as the standard of compliance for your experimental airplane, since that's the guidance they use in doing their job.

Finally, every Boeing I've ever seen from the B-17 to the B-777 has a standard whiskey compass installed. In my mind, if its good enough for Mr Boeing, its good in my plane too.

Fly safe...

Poor plastic case...

Aircraft Spruce as well as other places sell the Precision VCC. The cheaper non TSO'd unit is the one that seems to give people all the problems. My Precision VCC is still fine after two years.

Roberta

I put this same non-TSO'd one in my sailplane... while it works OK - a bit "sticky", but there's no vibration to keep it loose...:)... the plastic housing turned into a pretzel in the heat.

The TSO version has a metal case.

gil A

Aviation Consumer article said that the magnets in a VCC are about 4 times a strong as a standard compass, making it more important to keep it far away from steel or any magnetic source, including coils.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Fuselage

Back