What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Catch Phrases

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Catch Phrase
I'm looking for a series of humorous 'catch phrases' that sum up the RV experience. One of my favorites, as an example, was first uttered by local RV pilot Ross Burgess - "This is not a normal hobby." The plan is to put them all into some sort of rotating javascript applet that will display one of them at a time randomly. Up near the logo somewhere.

Catch phrase

It IS NOT an ultralight!

This is something that may be better to post on the thread about what you tell people that are not in aviation, when they ask about your plane. But it seems i have had to use it repeatedly. As in "Oh, your building an ultralight?"

Pick One

PASSENGER WARNING - this aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft. In my opinion it exceeds them.

PASSENGER WARNING - this aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft. Remember that Noah's ark was amateur built, unlike the HMS Titanic which complied with Federal Safety regulations.

PASSENGER WARNING - this aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft. Much like the amateur built Noah's ark and unlike the HMS Titanic that was built by Professionals.

PASSENGER WARNING - this aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft. Just like the amateur built Noah?s ark and unlike the professionally built Titanic.

This Aircraft is Amateur-built and does not comply with the Federal Safety Regulations for Standard Aircraft. The "ARK" was also amateur built unlike the professionally built "Titanic."

Mondays

Sometimes in the building process everyday seems like a Monday and, no matter how you cut it, 1/7th of your life will be lived on a Monday!!!!!!

Regardless of the cost, when you own an RV, there is always an excuse to go flying.

"Yes, I built my own airplane and, no, it is not a lawn chair with wings."

LA Center on a recent trip: 7EE don't run over the Cessna 5 miles ahead at 12 o'clock. Cessna, traffic, a fast moving RV at 5 miles at 6 o'clock. He'll be passing you shortly.

Just a few I could think of at the time.

Great thread!!!!!

To sum up the experience...

A new builder literally asked me last week, "Once you decided to build your RV, how did you shut your mind down at night?"

My answer these days: "It still hasn't shut down. When you figure it out, please let me know!"

kevinh said:
"Yes, I built it....
in my garage AND I fly it!

Our passenger warning placard:

PASSENGER WARNING - This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft, but it's a whole lot more fun!

Last edited:
Catchphrases

Not peculiar to RV's, but relevant to prospective builders and others:

'If you never start you will never finish'

'If you wait for the perfect moment to do something you will be waiting a long time.'

'Life is a journey, not an arrival.'

Don't forget "The RV grin". Or, "hard to wipe that RV grin off your face.

Yes, it's experimental, and so is Air Force One. :D

Who wants to be "certified" (crazy). :confused:

You almost have to be certified (crazy) to build an RV, but it'll make you sane (or not). :eek:

There is experimental and then there is experimental. :cool:

Along the lines of Noah's Ark maybe we should describe our RV's as so many qubits by so many qubits. Now we just need to figure out how much is a qubit. Seems I remember something like a yard but don't really know.

Taken from something I read some time ago:
Someone observed so many RV's parked at an airport that
he characterized them as "RAMP FLEAS"

"Just the latest in a loooong line of expensive hobbies."

(But I don't envision anything EVER replacing it.)

PASSENGER WARNING - This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft. Facial muscles may become permanently fixed with a grin. :D

Catch Phrase

I believe this quote came from Peter Drucker

"All great ideas ultimately degenerate to work!"

Joe Ramotowski
RV9A - waiting on finishing kit

"My wife always knows where I am."

...and if she doesn't she just follows the air hose.
...or she walks towards the loud noise.

In fact, I may have a T-shirt made for her, with a photo of me holding a rivet gun with the caption "Do you know where YOUR husband is?"

It's an experimental plane, which doesn't mean that it is an "experiment" that it will fly.

(I usually say this just before giving someone new a ride).

bruce
N297NW

"It will be finish when is finished, I hope not more than 5 years and no more than 100K". That is my standard answer. I just never subtract the time I have spent working on it yet. :D

"I am building it in a workshop, it is not a garage". But the real answer is that it is in my garage.

"Yes, after it is built, I will fly it. It is not a museum piece".

'sorry, I've gotta work on the airplane'
refer to martians thread
'what color is it gonna be?'
arrrggg!! it flies 1000mi on a tank, at up to more than 200MPH, turns upside-down when ya get there, I've got 50 pages of plans and 20 pages of schematic, and I've just shown you the thousands of hours of work I've put into it so far! who cares what color it's gonna be?! (sorry, I feel better now, thanks. :))
'yes, it's a "real" airplane'
eventually...
'is your airplane flying yet?'
errr...yes! yes, it is. it's great! ...then I wake up.
'so when ya get that thing done, ya gonna give rides?'
yep, you betcha! (sure hope gas prices drop a bit, tho)
'sure, we'll go there when the plane's in the air'
Jeez, I need to finish this thing before the list is as long as the US Atlas city index.
refer again to martians thread
'does anyone inspect it when you're done'
'maybe....' (see gas price above)
'how long you been workin' on that thing?'
real time or emotional time?
'how much have you spent on it?'
more than you or I (especially I) want to contemplate right now
'I just need to go out to the shop for a second'
...and three hours go by....

Bumper sticker on my car:

"My RV cruises at three miles a minute."

Probably gets some odd looks from the "other" RV'ers

Catch phrases.

"Do something....even if it is right." :rolleyes:

"Mistakes will be made, others will be blamed." :cool:

How about these...

The old definition...RV = Recreational Vehicle...really applies.

and

It's about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

This one's from my dad, Monty Barrett who turns 70 today!! BTW - he's not an RV builder but building a Pitts Model 12.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money (spent, not made in his case, I believe.)

Time building and flying an RV is not deducted from your lifespan.

John Siebold
7, 180 hrs
7, minus ~500 hours and counting

Catchy Phrases

"It's w-a-y more than just interesting. In fact, it's downright RIVETING."

Terry Ruprecht
Mahomet, IL
EAA Chap 129
N319TE RV-9A empennage

dan said:
A new builder literally asked me last week, "Once you decided to build your RV, how did you shut your mind down at night?"
Wow! Talk about hitting the nail on the head (at least for me). After my 4th or 5th trip to the shop at 3am, my wife stopped asking where I was going.

dan said:
To sum up the experience...

No kidding! I did a couple of weeks worth of commutes to and from work back when I started that I truly couldn't remember the drive. Certainly equivalent to being intoxicated!

Phrases

"The costs go up straight line, but the satisfaction is exponential"

Billy D...RV6A SLOOOW Build nearing FINISH !!!!

My two favorites

"The agony of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price wears off."

"Perfect is the enemy of 'Good' because 'Good' is never good enough." which is another way of saying what Hugh Tyler says above.

1. Stive for perfection, settle for excellence.
2. One pass, haul a##.

George Meketa
RV8 N444TX

Message from Van's Aircraft

I keep hearing this from Van's when I call them:

Build on!

Back