What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A retractable step

gtamvakis

I'm New Here
I have seen a link to a modification of the step install for RV that makes the steps retract with the flaps has anyone else know what I am talking about and if so can you send me the link.

Thanks in advance
George
RV 7A

I met the guy at LOE and had his card. His phone number is 970-215-3383 whick I didn't see on his website. Good luck.

Russ Kamtz at KFNL is the guy you want to talk to. He does make kits for the 6A (he has one, and my wife's boss, a private pilot student of mine has one in the hangar next to mine) and the 7A. He did Larry Vetterman's 7A steps, and paint, and fibreglas. He usually has some completed kits ready to ship. He also does carbon fiber inst. panels, spinners etc.

Russ's cel is 970-215-3383, and he's in the hangar most weekdays and Saturdays.
Home number is 970-669-2767

Jeff
KFNL

Now that I re-read the original post, I have to say that Russ's steps are connected to the canopy, so when you push the canopy back, the steps extend, and when you close it, the steps retract. A recent change he's made is that the left side step can be retracted or extended by hand, so the step is down on the ground when the canopy is closed, so from the ground you can step up to reach the canopy latch at the top front of the canopy. If you have a tip-up, maybe something connected to the flaps would be more up your airway.

Jeff

if you decide to go with Russ's set up-- you might want to see the gizmo in action and sit in the plane at the same time.

Looking back-- the manual set up on both sides will probably become the standard.

these steps(actually the mechanism thingy along the slider rail) just didn't work for me and set me back a month at least.

They make good $375 water bottle holders though. I'm looking for some other way to retract them. Mine presently are just non-op.-- a spring or cable with a T handle. I actually I've forgot about them until this post.

YMMV

Back