Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
It’s a nice day in northern Ohio today so I took an hour flight. I have uAvionix echoUAT with iPad running ForeFlight. I show targets on the iPad even sitting on the ground because I’m locating in “B” airspace. Once in cruise flight I zoomed out to check for weather and saw none even with tropical storm Barry moving up from the gulf coast. Weather finally showed up about twenty minutes into the flight. FF showed ADS-B as good and ground towers and traffic appeared right away but weather was much delayed to populate the screen. I have seen this in the past so today I paid closer attention and it seems to be as I describe above.

Anybody else see this?
radar data is sent only every few minutes (maybe less, but not constant like traffic data) for regional and CONUS is sent every 10 minutes, I think. Not all EFIS units will process the CONUS data. My GRT doesn't
Old 07-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
radar data is sent only every few minutes (maybe less, but not constant like traffic data) for regional and CONUS is sent every 10 minutes, I think. Not all EFIS units will process the CONUS data. My GRT doesn't
Which model GRT? My HX certainly does process the data for the whole US.

That said, it shouldn’t take 20 minutes, as long as you’re receiving a ground station.

Last edited by BobTurner : 07-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:22 PM

Default echouat with sentry?

My apologies if this is a bit O.T. but I was surprised when I was looking at the UAvionix website that the list of compatible GPS on the site does not list the Sentry. Is anyone using the Sentry and foreflight with the Echouat from UAvionix?

I am considering this set up but want to make sure they are all compatible and it means more to me to hear it from been-there-done that folks..

Charlie
Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
My apologies if this is a bit O.T. but I was surprised when I was looking at the UAvionix website that the list of compatible GPS on the site does not list the Sentry. Is anyone using the Sentry and foreflight with the Echouat from UAvionix?

I am considering this set up but want to make sure they are all compatible and it means more to me to hear it from been-there-done that folks..

Charlie
Sentry cannot be used as a GPS source to the echoUAT.

Sentry cannot be used simultaneously with eachUAS to feed ForeFlight because echoUAT uses WiFi, just like Sentry does, and WiFi does not allow simultaneous connections.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Sentry cannot be used as a GPS source to the echoUAT.

Sentry cannot be used simultaneously with eachUAS to feed ForeFlight because echoUAT uses WiFi, just like Sentry does, and WiFi does not allow simultaneous connections.
SPX,

WOW, thank you very much for the info.

Charlie
Old 08-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Default Echo from uAvionix uses its own Skyfx

for its GPS position source for the UAT "out", sniffing the transponder signal. Echo will output weather and traffic "in" by WiFi or wired connection to EFIS. I have that setup and my AFS 5600T uses the wired connection and I receive the WiFi to my iPad and iFly 740 -- I have WingX and FlyQ and iFly on my ipad -- they all work great with the uavionix setup.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 08-21-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post
for its GPS position source for the UAT "out", sniffing the transponder signal. Echo will output weather and traffic "in" by WiFi or wired connection to EFIS. I have that setup and my AFS 5600T uses the wired connection and I receive the WiFi to my iPad and iFly 740 -- I have WingX and FlyQ and iFly on my ipad -- they all work great with the uavionix setup.

Ron
Yeah, there really is no need for Sentry if you have an echoUAT...
Old 08-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Which model GRT? My HX certainly does process the data for the whole US.

That said, it shouldn’t take 20 minutes, as long as you’re receiving a ground station.
I have an HXr. I have zoomed out and looked numerous times and never see more than a couple hundred miles. There is always an edge with everything around it with hash marks.

Larry
Old 08-22-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The radar data is binary: if looking within 250 nm of your position, you should get higher definition. If more than 250 nm, you get the larger pixels.
This is a function of ADS-B FIS-B's weather data transmit scheme. Ground stations broadcast higher-definition radar returns only in the area they're located in order to save bandwidth.
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004!