What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Western Tour

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Just got back from a little spin through the western states. Key event was my sister's wedding at Lake Tahoe, and it seemed like a good excuse to fly the sights.

So, in four days of flying, it was (1) Alabama to Boulder, then (2) over the Divide at Rollins Pass and down the Colorado to Grand Junction, Monument Valley, Page AZ for fuel, overfly the Grand Canyon and Vegas, then north up Death Valley to Dayton Valley, which are definitely not the same thing. Post wedding (3), it was down toward Sacramento, then back over Tahoe to Wendover, Salt Lake City and a stop in Wyoming. Day (4) took me down across Grand Junction again, to the Gunnison area and over the big hills to the San Luis Valley, through LaVeta, and across the plains to South Alabama. I was parked at 08A before 5 PM Central, if that helps you understand why you're building an RV.

I took hundreds of photos, as this flatlander was agog at every view. Rather than bore my western brothers with one more beautiful snowcapped mountain, here are a few amusing shots.

Paul and Louise have a beautiful home at Dayton Valley, which I hearby propose we nickname "The Bunny Ranch". Seriously, they're everywhere!

This is that Starkey guy, the one who welcomes all the new people to VAF, here photographed in front of his World Headquarters:

The sky really is huge in Wyoming. Had a pleasant overnight in Evanston, one of those out-of-the-way places ignored by the rest of world. "Here, take this pickup truck into town for the night, and try not to run over a cow". No kidding; it's open range country, a serious novelty for an easterner.

Got fuel at Spanish Peaks, and discovered this warning sign right after taking a shortcut to the office, through the brush between the hangars. I took the long way back.

Weather was 100 mile vis everywhere out west, with a few windy places. I'd been cautioned about western winds, both for the mountain crossings as well as runway alignments. As it turned out, the sportiest landing of the trip was in Oklahoma, a stop for $3.12 fuel at Henryetta, where it was about 30 off the runway gusting to 28. And the Heart of Dixie saved up a typical "welcome home" convective mess for the last 100 miles. No problem, and the airplane really needed the wash.

Last edited:
As it turned out, the sportiest landing of the trip was in Oklahoma, a stop for $3.12 fuel at Henryetta, where it was about 30 off the runway gusting to 28.
Well Dan, now you know why the best pilots are trained in Oklahoma! :cool:

If you can take off and land in Oklahoma winds you can pretty much handle the rest of the country. Winds 10-15 knots is just a gentle breeze around here.

Bummer! If I'd known you where in the area, I would have popped down for a visit.

Next time....

Well, we'd have to call it "Bunny Ranch II", as you are now well aware.... ;)

Welcome any time Dr. Horton!

A little spin

... a little spin through the western states. Key event was my sister's wedding at Lake Tahoe, and it seemed like a good excuse to fly the sights.

So, in four days of flying, it was (1) Alabama to Boulder, then (2) over the Divide at Rollins Pass and down the Colorado to Grand Junction, Monument Valley, Page AZ for fuel, overfly the Grand Canyon and Vegas, then north up Death Valley to Dayton Valley, which are definitely not the same thing. Post wedding (3), it was down toward Sacramento, then back over Tahoe to Wendover, Salt Lake City and a stop in Wyoming. Day (4) took me down across Grand Junction again, to the Gunnison area and over the big hills to the San Luis Valley, through LaVeta, and across the plains to South Alabama. I was parked at 08A before 5 PM Central, if that helps you understand why you're building an RV.

I like that little spin Dan. Now we know that dogs with Russian names are busy at Bunny Ranch. Great pictures!

More photos please.........

(Denver area pilots click out now)

The first big jump is 243 degrees and 22 NM from Boulder, Rollins (aka Corona) Pass. It's really just a low spot in the Continental Divide, at a bit more than 11,000 feet. Here's the Google Earth view and the RV-8 view. You can see the old road in both.

The Divide, first looking north, then south. It's 6:52 in the morning, from 14.5K, with full tanks and a full O2 bottle. Darn good way to start an interesting day.

Here in the forums a few weeks ago, David Paule suggested not going if the wind at 12K or so was 20 or more from the west. As I approached at 14.5, the GRT EFIS was showing about 17, and sure enough, I got a good jolt or two a few miles east of the pass. Very interesting, those waves...

Well Dan, now you know why the best pilots are trained in Oklahoma!
If you can take off and land in Oklahoma winds you can pretty much handle the rest of the country. Winds 10-15 knots is just a gentle breeze around here.

Yeah, yeah, pants on fire. The FBO fella told me I was the first fuel customer in days, even at $3.12, because the wind had been blowing like it was. Clearly the best trained pilots are from Alabama...unless Okies are just trained to stay home ;)

Bummer! If I'd known you where in the area, I would have popped down for a visit.

I'd have detoured to Oregon. Almost did anyway. Oh well, see you at OSH in two weeks.

Dan,

Thanks for posting the writeup and pix! Sounds like a great trip.

I've always admired your 8's paint job. Pretty slick. Neat canopy, too.

BTW, this Denver boy never gets tired of looking at pictures of the beautiful mountains around here!

Dan, neat pictures, but your bunny rabbit is a Jack Rabbit which is actually a hare...:) Here is one in our driveway.

jackrabbit_zpszona7o4v.jpg

Interesting bit on how they got named thanks to Mark Twain - all to do with their giant ears -

Jackrabbits were named for their ears, which initially caused some people to refer to them as "jack*ss rabbits." The writer Mark Twain brought this name to fame by using it in his book of western adventure, Roughing It. The name was later shortened to jackrabbit.

And showing an early application of Political Correctness in the renaming.

Dan,
My father built the airpark that Mike lives in back in the mid 60's. Mike has a nice place and more RC planes than anyone I have ever known! He has a nice 10 also. Wish you made it up to Boise. See you at AV.

Nice...

Great trip Dan AKA BF:D. While you guys are out & about I MOWED TODAY WITH THE JD 996 FINISH 0 TURN. boy what a nice job it does, so Paul your campsite is ready. I'll probably mow again next Wed. or Thurs.
Things are coming together for the beer tasting Sunday Week here in HBC.
Still cleaning up all the dead criitters & cobwebs around the place & I'll call Miss Karen for the nice flower arrangments like we had last year.
Should see a larger tent, shower trailers, potty trailer sometime next week. I'm glad I mowed so in case they get here before I mow again. That's all for now you guys fly safe & I'll see you when you git here.

that's a quick trip. pictures are great! Henryetta was a stop on my 3 leg training flight in 1978. I remember poking around awhile until I found it in the TriPacer.

that's Winter Park at 2 o'clock. correction, 10 o'clock.

Divide%20South_zpsenhwxwa8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up!!

Nice write up Dan. It is always interesting when people from around the Mississippi East see the mountains in the West. Even more interesting when they fly around them. Definitely have to do a little planning and know your plane.

A few years ago I flew to Bristol Tennessee to ferry a helicopter for my company. It was a new one and we were doing some shake down flights. I had one of the long time mechanics with me and he was pointing out the Smokey mountains. I replied, "those are cute. We have real mountains out west." I think he was a little offended.

Great job Dan. See you in just over a week!!

Dan, you were 15 minutes from the Sonoma Pacific coastline........ you missed a good one.

Monument Valley makes everyone's list of places to see, and I'm no different. However, I found the canyonlands to the N and NE more interesting. There is a little bit of Federal land along the San Juan River with a 2000 AGL altitude restriction, but the rest is pretty much a pilot's playground.

Hwy 261 north of Mexican Hat climbs up the canyon wall at a place called the Moki Dugway. According to Wikipedia, it was built by a mining company in the late 50's to transport uranium ore. Now it's public highway. You're looking roughly west here.

It's easy to lose your sense of scale when flying the Great Wide Open Spaces. The elevation change from the bottomland to the top of the mesa is about 1100 feet. See the overlook at the top of this photo? The little black dot is a car.

It's all dirt and gravel, narrow, without guardrails. Gotta go back there someday. Lots of Moki Dugway GoPro video on the web. Here's one taken from a bike: https://youtu.be/e19Xx5iFJzI

Further south; the customary Monument Valley photo...

The region west of Navaho Mountain illustrates why we might not experiment radically with RV powerplants:

The upper end of Lake Powell, around Natural Bridge, looking north:

Last edited:
Very cool trip. I made my first major solo CC (LA to Atlanta) two weeks ago. Same general issues, landed in Elk City OK with 25knot winds, had to hold the plane in place while fueling up! The line boys first words to me were 'Are you Lost?':p.

Last day Taos to LA I setup permission to make a stopover at Monument airport. Gorgeous ride!

Last edited:
Sign at the top of Mokee Dugway shows elevation 6451, 1100 foot drop next 3 miles. Signs on Hwy 261 warn that pavement ends in 30 miles. Gravel on the steep part.

Dan...

Very nice write up & trip.
Miss Sandy (my wife, not the RV7)& I have had a great time hiking the Navajo Trail (my most spiritual experience out west) in Bryce Canyon National Park. Look forward to some hangar flying with you when you get to OSH;)

Back