What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builder Log from Resale

fbrewer

Well Known Member
I'm part owner in a RV-6

It was built in 2001, sold in 2008.

There have been 4 partial owners since 2008. The builder has not been an owner since 2008.

I am able to access the airframe, engine, prop and avionics logs and they are clean, easy to read, and complete.

The annual condition inspection was completed in June 2017 by a mechanic I know and trust.

I cannot find the original "Builders Log". Is this a problem?

Builder logs are optional and usually done to prove to the FAA that you qualify to apply for the repairman's certificate.

My -7A had a very nice build log when I purchased the half done kit. Since I am an A&P, I opted not to continue with the build log but did mark off tasks in the build manual as they were completed, just so I would know when they were done and who helped.

My vote is "no problem." If it's been flying for 16 years, has complete logs, and has been inspected by an A&P you trust, that's the key info.

Meanwhile, logs that are "clean, easy to read, and complete" have certainly not been the rule during my forays into aircraft buying!! That's a huge plus right there.

Paperwork condition, IMHO, is a surprisingly reliable guide to aircraft condition. Beautiful logs can be faked, but it seems they rarely are.

I'm part owner in a RV-6

It was built in 2001, sold in 2008.

There have been 4 partial owners since 2008. The builder has not been an owner since 2008.

I am able to access the airframe, engine, prop and avionics logs and they are clean, easy to read, and complete.

The annual condition inspection was completed in June 2017 by a mechanic I know and trust.

I cannot find the original "Builders Log". Is this a problem?

I believe the builders log is simply required to prove the 51% rule was met at the time of airworthiness/registration application.

It should have no regulatory use after that even though it should contain useful data to future owners.

Back