What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell composite prop on a 14

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone has either put a Hartzell composite prop on a 14A or consider it. I am curious about the effect of it on CG and weight difference compared to a two bladed BA. Also, any info on the maintenance/overhaul requirement on these prop. They sure look nice and I have read of a better climb performance.

Just wondering if anyone has either put a Hartzell composite prop on a 14A or consider it. I am curious about the effect of it on CG and weight difference compared to a two bladed BA. Also, any info on the maintenance/overhaul requirement on these prop. They sure look nice and I have read of a better climb performance.

I have a composite prop waiting on the engine. I bought it based on Carl’s and Rafael’s positive experience with theirs, plus conversations with Hartzell and Van’s at Oshkosh, which convinced me it would work just fine. More expensive (by a lot!), but beautiful in appearance and performance.

Also, Hartzell said the longevity is as good as or better than for the aluminum prop. They said they replace the nickel leading edge, which is harder and more durable than aluminum, at overhaul and you almost have a new prop again. Turboprops have been successfully using composite props for a long time.

Last edited:
Back