What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-3 project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an older RV3 project it has dents in one of the ailerons as well as one elevator. Normally do you replace these pieces (can it be replaced?) or do you attempt to repair.
It has no alternator and I plan to add electrical to it. Does Vans sell plans for this? Or is this just planned and executed by the builder.
The plane came with no plans and little documentation so I have lots to figure out on my own.
I am new to experimental aircraft but I am very excited about this project. I am sure I will have many more questions for you guys.
Thank you in advance.
Richard

I just bought an older RV3 project it has dents in one of the ailerons as well as one elevator. Normally do you replace these pieces (can it be replaced?) or do you attempt to repair.
It has no alternator and I plan to add electrical to it. Does Vans sell plans for this? Or is this just planned and executed by the builder.
The plane came with no plans and little documentation so I have lots to figure out on my own.
I am new to experimental aircraft but I am very excited about this project. I am sure I will have many more questions for you guys.
Thank you in advance.
Richard

There is little in plans for firewall forward for the RV-3....back when the kit came out, it was assumed that builders would just figure that stuff out. If you didn't get any plans, you definitely should get a set from the factory, just so you know a lot more about your plane.

FWF is not hard if you've done it before, but can be a bit mysterious if you haven't. Yo can pick up plans for another model RV and get most of what you need, so long as you understand that dimensions and locations are alwasy goign to be different. The idea is to learn what components you need, how they interconnect, and roughly the kind of places they mount. then for the RV-3, you figure out where stuff will fit.

It's fun, so long as you equate challenges with fun.....

Paul

Thank you all for the info, when I contacted vans for the same info he said you can just build a new ones, lol. Never even thought of it, I come from helicopters we don't think like that.
He suggested I find an old set of plans because they only have for the 3b. Any suggestions where to look (VAF classified maybe?)

Hi Richard,

Can you post pictures of the dents? Some small/shallow dents can be filled, but you have to be cautious about adding weight to the control surfaces. If the dents are severe, they might lead to cracks later on. The skins are very thin.

You've come to the right place. This forum is full of great people and information. It's especially helpful for those of us with the older designs that aren't very well supported anymore (relative to the new ones, I mean).

The control surfaces are basically skins with stiffeners riveted on, wrapped around end ribs and the spar. Perhaps you can save the ribs and spar and replace the skin/stiffener assembly.

The left elevator, with the trim tab, is a bit more involved but it's the same general approach. If the tab is okay, it's definitely worth saving that as those are often a bit of a pain to make.

It could well be that the current version is very close to the same as the older versions. In any event, the plans note what the changes are, so you might be able to track back if necessary (B model wings though, don't track to previous versions).

Dave

Repair plan

Thank you Dave, that will be my plan then, is it acceptable to replace only one elevator or flap, or is the standard to do both sides even if only one is damaged

Yes, they are individual parts and can be replaced independently of one another.

There's a partial caveat for elevators, though. A handful of builders have made mass balances for these - they aren't in the plans and the large majority of RV-3s don't have them. Normally, the RV-3s don't have these. If your airplane is one of the ones with elevator mass balances (usually at the tips) then your replacement elevator will also need to have it.

The plans on CD will be a big help. Paper plans would also work.

Dave

Yep, based on your picture, the skin needs to be replaced. That is a bad kink with a crack already forming.

If you haven't drilled out rivets before, practice removing the heads of the rivets for the stiffeners for that skin first, because it's junk anyway. Then do the end ribs, because if you mess one up they're cheap to replace. The Preview Plans set has a section on basic riveting skills that's very handy.

Plans

Thank you all, I've ordered the plans and am eagerly waiting for the. Any of you going to Deland FL, in two weeks for the Vans event, I will be there

You mean the new Sport Aviation Showcase event? I will be there with Jabiru North America. Should be interesting...

Jabiru powered rv3

Please excuse me for going off topic but as a pilot of 1500 jabiru hours and now a newly completed io/320 rv3 , I was wondering how the guy building the rv3 with the six cyclinder Jabiru engine is going on with his project.
Steve
RV3B
Jabiru 55 /3j

Engine oops!

When I bought this project I knew that there was no electrical system and that I would have to install an alternator and the starter, what I didn't realize is this particular Lycoming 290 does not have a provision for a starter. Looks like I will have to buy a new engine, unless I can figure out an aftermarket solution, because I do not want to prop start.

Jabiru Status?

You mean the new Sport Aviation Showcase event? I will be there with Jabiru North America. Should be interesting...

Re. Jabiru...some guys on our Rotary list "down under" said Jabiru had pretty much gone under financially. Is the North American operation going to survive?

Doug Lomheim
RV=9A / 13B/FWF
RV-3A sold.

RV 3

I too bought an RV 3 project, it flew many years ago, then the engine and panel were put in an RV 6 project, so I've been collecting panel Gage's and looking for an 0-320 to put in it. First I plan to strip and repaint interior and exterior, also got the CN-2 parts for the wing, should be a nice winter project.

Engine mount/landing gear

Well, it's official I will be replacing the engine. I suppose I also would have to get a new engine mount (frame)? Is the best place to get this directly from vans or is there a cheaper option, I haven't found any used ones.
I have just started working on the spar modification, and I'm curious how do you put the skin back on the wing if you can't get a block underneath the rivets?
I am enjoying the challenge more and more,

Thanks for the info, Richard

RV Engine Mounts

Well, it's official I will be replacing the engine. I suppose I also would have to get a new engine mount (frame)? Is the best place to get this directly from vans or is there a cheaper option, I haven't found any used ones...
Thanks for the info, Richard

The engine mount depends on what kind of engine you're going to go with of course. A number of years ago, a guy putting a Mazda Rotary engine in his RV-4 / 6 went to the engine mount mfg (that sells the mounts to VAN's) and bought one direct from them without the sockets for the Lord mounts. He then welded it up as needed from there, to install his Mazda, and he was off and running.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A 0-290G sold
RV-9A Mazda 13B/FWF

Last edited:
I too bought an RV 3 project, it flew many years ago, then the engine and panel were put in an RV 6 project, so I've been collecting panel Gage's and looking for an 0-320 to put in it. First I plan to strip and repaint interior and exterior, also got the CN-2 parts for the wing, should be a nice winter project.

You can have my steam engine panel for free if it will help, I'll post pics if you are interested

Update

What I've accomplished so far,
1. Bruised index finger
2. Bruised middle inger
3. Cut palm of my left hand
in between all that, I rebuilt the elevator skin, did the hard part of the wing mod, completely disassembled the aircraft for inspection and prep to paint. Took out old panel and generally having a blast.
By the way how do you rivet the skin back onto the wing after mod, there is no access
richard
RV3... Soon to be a RV3A :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back