What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduce Yourself

Name: Brad Oliver
City: Livermore, CA
Configuration: RV-7 / Tip-up Canopy / Slow Build
Engine: IO-360 (maybe FADEC)
Prop: Whirlwind 200RV

Introduction: 34 year old technology manager for a bank. Been flying on and off for 20 years. I had a momentary lapse of sanity earlier this year, sold my Citabria and ordered an RV-7 emp kit (and a bunch-o-tools). :D Currently setting rivets and loving it!

Web page: www.RV7Factory.com

Introduce yourself

Name: Doug Preston, Sr. 66
City: Birmingham, AL
Configuration: Both are sliders
Engine: 7 has Aerosport O-360 A1A
7A will have Superior XP-360
Prop: Hartzell Blended airfoil on both

[Optional Fields]
Introduction: Corporate pilot. The 7A will be our 4th RV.
Pilot photo: None
Project photo: None
Web page: None

Hey Chad! I should be able to stop by later this week or this weekend. I will give you a call. BTW, cool choices on engine and prop!!!

cjensen said:
HEY ROB!! When are you gonna come over??

Name: Chad Jensen
City: Normal, IL (as Rob says, it is real, and normal!)
Configuration: RV-7 / It will have a canopy of some sort / Slow Build
Engine: Renesis Rotary is the plan
Prop: Catto 3 blade

Introduction: My dad took me to the airport in Stuart, FL starting when I was two years old, and I couldn't think of anything else better since then. I am 28 years of age, and I am an Aircraft Broker. I have owned two airplanes, a 1974 Cherokee 140 and a 1968 Cherokee 180. I sold my share in the last one to concentrate on my CFI. Hold a Commercial certificate with Instrument and Multi-engine ratings, as well as a Ground Instructor cert. I am, like many, unsure how I am going to pay for all of this fun, but I'll figure it out. Right now, I am just loving the learning process and working on the empennage. My wife is my rivet-bangin' partner. Check us out on our home page, and my builder page is there as well.

Web page: http://www.chadandbrittne.com

Name: Ron Hanselman
City: Layton, UT
Configuration: slider
Engine: as much as possible
Prop: Desire Hartzell CS

[Optional Fields]
Introduction: Air Force F16 pilot (43), 25 years of service, will retire after 30
Pilot photo: Will try this later
Project photo: None
Web page: None

Name: Mark Taylor
City: Detroit
Configuration: RV-7 Slider Canopy
Engine: TMX IOF-360 Ordered, due in August.
Prop: MT 3 Blade.

Name: Ben Ridgdill
City:Bloomingdale, GA
Configuration: RV-9A slider
Engine: TBD; leaning toward auto conversion
Prop: TBD

Introduction: After 20 plus years building and repairing the world's finest corporate jet, about 2 years ago I decided it was time to build something I could actually fly myself! I bought kit #90217 second hand and got busy. My wife and co-builder is a former assembly mechanic (that's how we met); how lucky can a guy get?

Thanks for bumping this back to the top, Rudi. I would not have noticed the thread without that move.

Name: Bill Pendergrass
City: Hanover, Pennsylvania
Status: Building [600 hours over 9 months] Last stages of SB wings. SB Fuselage delivery in about 3 weeks.
Configuration: RV-7A Tip-up Canopy
Engine: Leading candidate - Mattituck IO-360 parallel valve
Prop: Undecided

Fellow builders,
It's Thanksgiving morning after a 1" snow last night. Nice and cozy with the smells of turkey preparation underway. I can assure you that I will represent the stereotypical builder today by spending the majority of the day in the shop! No football watching today! Or the remainder of the weekend!
The kids are home from school, so my task is to keep the boys occupied with aluminum parts. No duress here. They are "into" it.

I'm an engineer that has been in and out of the aviation world for many years. A lot of my creative energy over the last few years has been on motorcycles. My MC website is: http://userweb.suscom.net/~rzbill/Bill/Billindex.htm

Feel free to visit my RV-7A builder log.
The front page has a link to the latest construction pic.

Web page: http://websites.expercraft.com/rzbill/

Name: Stephen Samuelian
City: Pasadena, CA
Configuration: RV-7 / Slider Canopy
Engine: IO-360 (Angle)
Prop: CS, probably BA hartzell, but one never knows.

Introduction: I'm a 20 year old A&P Mechanic and College student. I'm currently going to school for Commercial Flight and Aviation Science (Air Traffic Control) AS degrees. Next Fall I start my BS in Aviation Management. I'm a Commercially rated Instrument pilot with 380hr's in Cessnas & Pipers.

Pilot photo: I don't have a picture of me, but here is the Cardinal my dad and I resurected from derilitism:
Image-178650D03D5A11D7.jpg

And the Panel:
Image-1785E4EA3D5A11D7.jpg

Web page: The project will be at my website when I start it, but for now, just pictures of the Cardinal, which you can check out:

Website

I like to talk about myself, so here goes :)

Name: John Coloccia
City: Lancaster
Status: Building....I'm not tracking my building time, but since it's not flying yet I can safely say I've put in precisely "not enough hours"
Configuration: RV-7 Tip-up Canopy
Engine: IO-360 something or other
Prop: I don't plan on using a propellor. I feel that they put unnescesary loads on an otherwise well balanced engine and cause increased fuel burn. Also, from a maintenance and reliability standpoint, propless is the way to go.

Introduction: We finally decided on the RV-7 for a couple of reasons.
1) There's enough room in back for the dog
2) It's aerobatic
3) It's got a name we can both pronounce and spell
4) It's FAST. This is especially important when you live in the Antelope valley. In the 1 1/2 years that we've lived here, we've developed deep appreciation for being able to fly somewhere else as quickly as possible.

My turn

Name: Pascal GROELL
City: Croissy-Beaubourg (25km east of Paris)
Status: Interested - Committed (Tools ar here, workshop to be build as soon as practicable due to winter, will order empennage and wing before price increase in january)
Configuration: RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy
Engine: Some kind of (I)O-360
Prop: Would like CS

Introduction: Flying A330/A340 for an airline whose name begins with Air and ends with my country's name.
Pilot photo: Will try to find one !!!
Web page: www.notreavion.net in french and english.

Name: Alton D
Status: 90% empennage and wings due in by the end of the year.
Configuration: RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy maybe a slider
Engine: IO-360, have not decide on which one yet.
Prop: Engine set up for CS, but with fixed pitch. I'll upgrade later

Introduction: Flying a 1965 C-172 presently. I am a 300 hr intrument rated pilot.

Dreamer

Name: Jeffrey Miller
City: Arnold, MD (Near Annapolis)
Configuration: RV-7 / RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy / Slider Canopy. Yeah. One of those.
Engine: You need one of these, right?
Prop: No idea.

Introduction: I started flying at Lee Airport in Annapolis in 1979 and then life happened. Finished my PPL at Tipton Airport May 2004. I don't have a complex or tailwheel endorsement and a huge funding problem, which is why I'm only dreaming. I'm an Airport Operations Manager at BWI.
Pilot photo: I'm at work (shhh!). I'll have to add it later. But, www.cplayers.com has a picture of me as The Ghost of Christmas Present. The photo will be there until 18 December or so.
Project photo: No project, so no photo.
Web page: None.

Last edited:
Name: Mike Banks
City: Panama City, Florida
Configuration: RV-7 / RV-7A (can't decide)/ Tip-up Canopy
Engine: I've been looking at a lot of options. I've always thought a small turbine would be a good choice but I don't think they are proven yet. I like what I've read about the Subaru engine too. I'll probably end up with the Lycoming. Hard to beat it's track record.
Prop: CS is a must. It does so much to expand the airplanes performance envelope.

Introduction: I am a 41 year old, married father of four. I've been an "airhead" since I was a toddler. I love airplanes - always have, always will. The idea that I can build one of these things in my (soon to be) garage is my favorite daydream.

Pilot photo: Later

Project photo: Just envision a bare patch in my back yard where my garage will be next year.

Web page: Not yet, but Dan Chekoway has made this a "must do" for any builder. He's probably done more for this community with that website than any other single resource (that I've seen).

Name: Ben Anderson
City: Savannah
Configuration: RV-7A / Slider Canopy
Engine: IO 360
Prop: Not sure yet

Introduction: I have been a pilot for almost six years and have always dreamed of building my own RV. Now it is finally going to happen. :D I am an aerodynamics and performance engineer at Gulfstream Aerospace, so if anyone has a flight sciece type question, please ask. If I don't know the answer, I am sure someone in my department does.
Email: [email protected]

Wow! Just cruised past this thread from back in the day!

Let us all try to update it a bit. Some are flying now some have sold! Some have abandoned and some are old! (Hey, that rhymes!)

I am probably what could be considered a marathon builder! Hahaha

I now have an eci 180hp engine and a Hartzell prop hanging off the front of the fuse!

The tail and wings have been mated and the plan is to paint prior to leaving the garage. I am also planning a G3X panel. The engine sensors have been installed and wiring awaits!

What are you working on now?

How about some new -7 builders?

Cool thread Rudi!

:cool: CJ

Name: JD
City: Haskell, Oklahoma
Configuration: RV-7 / Slider
Engine: Haven't made up my mind on that part
Prop: Haven't made that decision yet either

Introduction: Well, I have been reading on this website for a while. I have always been interested in aviation and wanted to build one for years just never have for one reason or another. I took aviation maintenance in school a very long time ago so this isn't completely new to me. But remembering might be a chore.

Introduce yourself

Name: Tim Bennett
City: Pleasanton
Config: 7a Tip Up
Engine: 0-360
Prop: Fixed

My name is Randy and I’m an RV’aholic.

City: Tyler

Configuration: Slow Build RV-7 / Slider
Engine: IO-360 A1A 1st run Case and all new parts, Oil Squirters, O-Rings, Lycon 9:5:1 NFS Cylinders, AFP FI, Superior Cold Air Sump and Rod Bower Air
Prop: Catto 3 Blade

I have been trashing airplane parts for 2 years now and in that time I have managed to complete the tail feathers, wings, I just flipped the canoe and drilled the aft deck tonight. My finish kit will be here mid-November, the FWF kit just arrived and my IO-360 A1A will be here next week. Catto 3 Blade and Vetterman Exhaust on order. I’m doing all I can to pay for this beast as I go and seem to have it all of it paid for except for the panel.
Go Me! :D

Introduce yourself

Keith Rhea
Peck,KS ( Wichita area)
Flying 2nd airplane, a plans built DA2A
Completed RV7 Empennage
Wings will ship Nov 19th.
Slow build, but not a beginner
Ex Navy AME2
Plan on O-320 or O-360 / CS or FP
Polished/Paint on FG
Have MGL EFIS, Radio, Trig Transponder for new one.

Probably tip up canopy.

200 hrs TW time.

Name: Mike Bennett
City: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Configuration: RV-7A; Tip-up Canopy
Engine: Intending fitting IO-360-XXXX (180 hp)
Prop: Intending fitting fixed prop

Name: Vlad
City: which never sleeps
Config: RV9A tip up no paint
Engine: O320
Prop: wood

Name: Robert Gatliff
City: Sandersville
Configuration: RV-7
Engine: ECI 360 Cold Air induction, FI

My Name is Mauricio Souza, and this is my first post on this forum.
Here's some details about my 7, It was professionally built by Wally Anderson from Synergy Air, at Eugene, OR. I flew all the way from Portland to Manaus, AM , Brazil. Thanks to Mike Seager I made my transition training as well as the first portion of the ferry flight to Miami. I will try to post some pictures of the amazing trip, later on.

Name: Mauricio
City: Manaus, Amazon
Configuration: RV-7 Tip-up Canopy
Engine: Aerosport IO-375
Prop: Hartzel 2 blade blended foil

_MG_6276.jpg

Hello Pierre,

Appreciate your compliments. The plane, still being cleared by Brazilian Customs, and getting new registration (it's no longer N677WM, we can't fly with US registration after the temporary permit expired) ... It's an honor to be part of this great forum. I will post some cool pictures of my long long trip: KPDX - SBEG

Thanks and Best

Newest newbe!

Hi VAF RV-7 Team,

I'm just starting an RV-7 (after a flirtation with the -14, the extra cost of the big engine and not too much improved performance, I'm back) and am looking forward to all your good advice ... or war stories at least.

Shop is ready, tools are in place, EAA sheet metal class under my belt. Waiting to make a trip to Mecca to get a demo flight and hand carry my empennage kit home. Member of EAA 663 chapter (builder chapter) in Livermore, CA (KLVK). I would love to link up with RV drivers at KHAF.

Name: Bill Bencze
City: Half Moon Bay, CA (KHAF)
Configuration: RV-7 slider
Engine: mid-time O-320 or O-360
Prop: TBD, probably constant pitch.

Welcome to VAF, Bill!

If you find yourself further south, around Tehachapi, feel free to stop by for a project visit. I'm about 3/4 of the way through slow build wings, and have a fuselage kit on hand.

Name: Dave Johnson
City: Fargo, ND
Configuration: RV-7 tip up. VP-x sport driving a dynon sky view and icom radio with a home brewed lighting system. For paint I'd really like to do a paint/polish but I've got a couple smilies on the fuse I'm not proud of so not sure.
Engine: higher mid time O-320 E2A with a freshened up top end converted to 160 hp
Prop: catto. Can't decide between 2 or 3 blade yet but will have to soon.

Name: Dale Botkin
City: Omaha, NE
Status: I'm buying an RV-7a slider project, partially completed.
Engine & Prop: Undecided. I'll make that decision as I get further along, but I'm leaning toward an IO-360. The big decision will be Catto 3-blade or CS. Lottery winnings may play a part in that decision. :)

I'm a pretty low time new pilot, having just passed my checkride last July. I was thinking about a 9a, but I found a deal I just couldn't pass up on this 7a. I'll be starting construction in January. I'm a member of EAA chapter 80. Mt one ride in an RV-7, with a little stick time, was more than enough to convince me that this would be the way to go.

Name: Josh Gill
City: Tucson, AZ
About me: I'm a private pilot, coming up on my first BFR! Wow time flies. Currently flying rented 172's from my amazing flight school, and slowly training for my IFR ticket. I'm a mech. e., graduated from the University of Arizona a few years back. I fell in love with Tucson throughout school, and decided to stay here for the foreseeable future. Not to mention, flying weather here is pretty good year round. I'm planning a trip up to the factory in the next few months for that $30k demo ride. I'm somewhat torn between the -9A and -7A, as both fit my ideal mission profile pretty well. I suppose I will let the demo flight help me with that decision. I'm looking forward to the journey, and glad to have joined VAF.

Introductions:

This is the Suggested format:
[Mandatory Fields]
Name: TexacoTom
City: Weatherford, TX
Flying [10 RV hours]
Engine: Lyc O-360
Prop: Catto
Obviously, I am very new to the RV world, but I've been looking in for many years. Right now I need help finding three things: Engine Operating Manual, Aircraft Operating Manual, and can somebody tell me where to determine the model and type engine I have. The data plate is missing. All I have been told is that it has a solid crank. I've had the plane for a couple of weeks and will make my first x-country tomorrow. Thus far, I love it totally. There is one unsettling quirk, the fuel pressure fluctuates from 0-5psig on the engine driven pump. Is this normal? Aux pump is 6-7 psig.
Thanks for any help.
TT

Name: Mike Hillger
City: Garden City, TX
Configuration: RV-7 / Slider Canopy
Engine: Leaning hard towards Lyc IO-360
Prop: Leaning toward a Catto 3 blade

I have purchased a 7a project w/quick build wings and fuse one month ago. The project has been cannibalized, but all the major parts are there. I got a deal that I couldn't refuse and it was 30 miles from my shop, but much of the time saved on building will be spent on studying plans and acquiring building skills and parts. I sold the tail and bought another that was partially finished so I could acquire some skills and have more documentation. I will convert the plane to a 7. Plan on a IO-360 with glass panel. Leaning towards Catto 3 blade FP prop but CG has me concerned.... I would be afraid to count the hours I have studied and researched this plane and this forum. I feel like I know everyone already! I have paid my dues but I feel like I owe so much more!

RV7A
I0-360
Slider
DR sign off on 12/20/2012 and I have yet to fly 1st time. I have been building for 3 yrs. Bought wings done and did slow build Fuselage. I am retired and have experience with other airplanes. Really enjoyed flying in the Rv of another and wanted to build and fly.
Just joined this forum but have been looking as a guest in the past.
Waiting for the weather to get better so I can punch holes in the blue.
Dave

Intro

Name: Larry Larson
City: Estes Park, CO
Configuration: RV-7A Slider
Engine: Plan for O360 mid time
Prop: Catto 3 blade fixed pitch

Introduction: As with most pilots, I dreamed aviation since childhood. I finally saved the money and time and earned my PPASEL in 2007. I always knew an experimental would be the goal. I'm a huge gear head and tinkerer having build cars, furniture and dozens of RC airplanes. I bought the tail kit untouched from someone who decided to take a different path. The tools were purchased from a friend who finished his RV7a. We recently retired, sold primary residence and moved to our vacation/retirement residence semi full time. The storage barn is built, garage (airplane shop) organized and I'm ready to build some work benches and start the tail <finally>. Thank goodness my Sweetie enjoys flying with me and supports the project completely.
Pilot photo: Pending
Project photo: Pending
Web page: Pending

So much to do before the first rivet!

Lots of us in Colorado

Larry,
There are lots of us RV dudes in Colorado. If you want to get to know a bunch of them, on Jan 5 at the Front Range airport there is going to be a pot luck dinner and get together. Contact me and I will make sure you get the info. Im coming over from Glenwood Springs and building a 9A, but don't hold that against me!!

Pot Luck

Larry,
There are lots of us RV dudes in Colorado. If you want to get to know a bunch of them, on Jan 5 at the Front Range airport there is going to be a pot luck dinner and get together. Contact me and I will make sure you get the info. Im coming over from Glenwood Springs and building a 9A, but don't hold that against me!!

Awesome.
PM sent.
Thanks

Introduction

Name: Jon Hess
City: Kansas City, MO
Status: Just got RV-7 plans for Christmas, planning on research and taking a building class prior to starting empennage kit. Attending OSH this summer!
Configuration: RV-7 Slider (hopefully)
Engine: IO360

Introduction:
I've been flying since 1990, went to college for flight training and a bachelors degree is Aviation Administration. I work in a different field full time, but still do part-time freelance flight instructing in the metro KC area. Almost to 1000 hours total time. Just rejoined EAA and trying to decide which chapter to join. We have a well developed one at LXT, but it's a long drive from my house.

RV 7A. Zeeland, MI

Gary Kremers
USA
Zeeland, MI
Flying since 2005... 1000 hours
RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy
Aero Sport O360 A1A
Hartzell CS blended

Welcome to VAF as well, Joe.

Hope you and yours have a super 2013.

We'll be coming to Manteca and Paradise on Jan 13 to visit my Mom and daughter.

Best,

Virginia Beach Flyer

Name: Glen Knutson
City: Virginia Beach, VA

Status: All but the trim tab of the empennage is complete. Started on Memorial Day of 2012 but property rehabs interfered with my 'primary' work.

Configuration: Working towards RV-7 tip-up. Hopefully DeltaHawk will have their Diesel engine ready for the RV-7 by the time I finish the quickbuild.

Introduction: I earned my PPL this year and beg, borrow and, er, use planes of others to build time and be ready when the RV is complete. The Virginia Aviation Ambassadors program is a cool way to go about the state or Virginia with a 'purpose' as well as build up time and experience.
On a side note, I've really learned the value of outlining the time and ease of getting somewhere in the RV to the wife in order to gain her support for the Mistress.:D

Last edited:
flying

Randy Ware
USA
Wray, Colorado

7A slider
Lycoming )320 150 hp, FP prop
flying 425 hours
First flight 12/31/2009

just another rv7

Hi all
I am new to that forum and interested to share experience with any builders.
Especially with builders from Europe for regulations and tool source issues and to possibly meet up in my area.
Even though that might not be easy, I figured out that it is this forum here, where the RV music is played.:D

Name: Chris
Engine: tbd
Prop: tbd

Introduction:
I am about to get started with a most exciting, once in a lifetime project.
For others it might be. "Just to build another RV-7"
To date, I am still in a very early phase. I study the preview plan set and the Standard Aircraft Handbook to get an idea of what is required in terms of tools and mechanical works.
So it will still takes a while, before I can put my hands on nice alclad sheets. :)

Hi all
I am new to that forum and interested to share experience with any builders.
Especially with builders from Europe for regulations and tool source issues and to possibly meet up in my area.
Even though that might not be easy, I figured out that it is this forum here, where the RV music is played.:D

Name: Chris
Engine: tbd
Prop: tbd

Introduction:
I am about to get started with a most exciting, once in a lifetime project.
For others it might be. "Just to build another RV-7"
To date, I am still in a very early phase. I study the preview plan set and the Standard Aircraft Handbook to get an idea of what is required in terms of tools and mechanical works.
So it will still takes a while, before I can put my hands on nice alclad sheets. :)

Hi Chris, welcome to this GREAT forum.
Where are you in Switzerland? I'm building a RV-7 near Annecy in France, not far from Geneva. If you're not too far we could meet and discuss RV stuff around a coffee or beer. Let me know...
Alain.

Just want to say hello.
I am new to the site, my RV7A is complete and airworthy according to the FAA.
But it has not flown because the weather and my Florida experience did not cooperate.
I will be back in Central Indiana in March and maybe the weather will be good to do the first flight.
It is N1243A and slider, 2 Dynon SV; SL30; VP-X Sport; IO-360, CS prop.
This has been my first total build, but have done rebuilds (C-170) and tail of RV-10. Thanks to all who helped me along the way, glad to be done.

Dave

Back