What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 7? Portrait G3X Touch display and GMU 11 magnetometer from Garmin TeamX

What does "LRU" stand for?

and how does the Standard differ from the High Performance (>300 Kts), other than the higher speed capability.

LRU = Line Replaceable Unit This terminology has come to us from the airline world where airplanes are "on the line", typically sitting at a gate when they're not whisking passengers across the country. The LRU is the box that the airline avionics person swaps quickly and easily to bring the aircraft back to serviceable condition. In plain human speak, an LRU is one of those avionics boxes that's designed to be easily replaceable in the field, typically by removing a connector or two, maybe a pressure port, and a few simple fasteners. An example of this would be an EFIS display - a well-trained monkey can change one out in a few minutes. Contrast this with something like a switch where one has to solder the wires on - that's definitely not "line replaceable" but rather something one wants to do back at the hangar where there's access to electrical power, specialized tools, etc.

Special gloves

I sometimes fly in the winter with my old military flight gloves. They work on my GTN 650. Will they also work on the new G3 X touch portraits or will I need the special gloves with the fingertips designed for touchscreens?
Bob

I sometimes fly in the winter with my old military flight gloves. They work on my GTN 650. Will they also work on the new G3 X touch portraits or will I need the special gloves with the fingertips designed for touchscreens?
Bob

Hello Bob,

All of the G3X Touch displays (including the new GDU 470) use an infrared touchscreen technology with a matrix of light beams traversing the surface of the display. One of the reasons for choosing this technology over others is to support the use of gloves.

Your gloves should work fine.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I currently have the dual screen G3X legacy (non-touch) products, the GDU 370 and GDU 375. What is the plan for my system, is there a GDU 475 that has Sirius XM?

What are the physical installation details will I need to consider if I want to upgrade my equipment (two displays) to the new GDU 470s? Should all 370 displays be physically upgradeable to the new 470? Other than drilling new mounting holes (with the template) for the new displays, and then enlarging the corners of the display's panel opening, should I be able to connect the existing pin connectors to the back of the new displays, do some software set ups, and then my dual screen upgrade is complete?

Thank you.

Victor

Excellent! Are there any options coming for a unit that just puts more serial devices onto the can bus for peripherals (co detector, etc)? Kind of like having a GDU 46x without the screen?

g3xpert, another question that wasn't clear from the announcement or manual: is there any downside to the GMU11 compared to the 22, or otherwise any reason I'd want to buy the 22 instead of the 11? (setup I'm planning so far is G3X Touch with GTN 750 and a G5, for IFR)

Thanks

Excellent! Are there any options coming for a unit that just puts more serial devices onto the can bus for peripherals (co detector, etc)? Kind of like having a GDU 46x without the screen?

Hello,

The newer GDU 450/455/460/465/470 touch screen displays each have 6 serial ports compared to the 3 serial ports on the GDU 370/375 displays.

This, in combination with the fact that most devices developed for use with the G3X system (such as the new GMA 245/245R audio panel) are equipped with CAN interfaces that allows them to be shared by all displays in the system without consuming any serial ports generally makes the existing serial ports sufficient for most installations.

Let us know if we can assist if you find otherwise.

Thanks,
Steve

g3xpert, another question that wasn't clear from the announcement or manual: is there any downside to the GMU11 compared to the 22, or otherwise any reason I'd want to buy the 22 instead of the 11? (setup I'm planning so far is G3X Touch with GTN 750 and a G5, for IFR)

Thanks

Hello Rodrigo,

The performance of the GMU 11 is comparable to the GMU 22 and has advantages such as size and being a CAN bus system device instead of being wired to a single ADAHRS.

The GMU 11 takes advantage of the latest solid-state magnetometer technology to perform at a level that was not previously possible in a lower cost device.

Thanks,
Steve

The newer GDU 450/455/460/465/470 touch screen displays each have 6 serial ports compared to the 3 serial ports on the GDU 370/375 displays.

6? I can only see 5 described in the pinouts - where's that 6th port?

I'm in a similar situation as N161WM in that my plans so far occupy all 10 ports (GSU25, GMC307, GTN750 MapMX, GTN750 Connext, GDL39R, GNC255, GTS800, WX-500, VP-X, Co Guardian) :) so an extra port per display would come in handy.

6? I can only see 5 described in the pinouts - where's that 6th port?

I'm in a similar situation as N161WM in that my plans so far occupy all 10 ports (GSU25, GMC307, GTN750 MapMX, GTN750 Connext, GDL39R, GNC255, GTS800, WX-500, VP-X, Co Guardian) :) so an extra port per display would come in handy.

Oh, and just after posting this i realized that there are indeed 6, one of them is described separately - I assume that one can only be used for the GSU or to another display? Or can it be configured like the others?

Oh, and just after posting this i realized that there are indeed 6, one of them is described separately - I assume that one can only be used for the GSU or to another display? Or can it be configured like the others?

Hello Rodrigo,

The 6th serial port on the P4X01 connector is programmed for the "Garmin Instrument Data" protocol and is normally used as a backup data path for a GSU 25 or GEA 24.

Thanks,
Steve

Will it be saved?

Will it be available for viewing later, you know for us people who still have to work for a living ;-)

Presentation recording...

Will it be available for viewing later, you know for us people who still have to work for a living ;-)

Good morning,

Barring any technical difficulties, we should have a recording available. Either use the registration link in this thread or contact g3xpert for a link.

Thanks,
Brian

GTN750 and dual nav/comms?

Assuming I go with a second Garmin nav/comm or just a second transceiver, will a GTN750 allow simultaneous receive on two vors and or two comm frequencies?

This to allow vor crossfixes on nav and/or the ability to listen to ATC and check winds etc on the second receiver?

GDU 470 Portrait 7” G3X Touch Display

We’re excited to announce the GDU 470 portrait G3X Touch display with the same great features as the 10.6” and 7” landscape G3X Touch displays, including advanced integration with Garmin G3X autopilot, transponders, radios, audio panels, and more. This frequently requested form factor now offers even more flexibility to design your ideal panel. Mix and match up to 4 G3X Touch displays in a single aircraft to suit your needs. The new display is expected to be available in Q2 of this year for $2,995 minimum advertised price (MAP) with an optional remote mount SXM module coming later this year.

X5570aeXBvBK0HxwXO-E96QFq5LIPw2L03lnbLbM3ahhaO94j-MbcjW8lkbjzWdg4oJpOuRwbFHAfI5Tzs-ksFc57vSAZEVj9M_N98Ft2rqRvi3o4kaN4wDAKtzxd_fHUmzSpuVPVyOc3cD-AgJgXWDayfNjb0yxZe2oawtisfj2sM2LU2sCIZKDPTSLHwHOihrtibIApqJQkCo7n_QI0QLwZyvV2F2Sb7qlhpYrow21c1aQGLDXOAiqQTyYRZWCvvJ3XsusDmF50hNL6UiV4YPBMmA85YRoKS6yIJeLzBw9zjPVBINRj759nBNHn0SUU2bUzLw0mzcXsUtcEpgAnIvy5a1rk-HKAWVuX8JCS600dDDjGA4IvpHzEju3USSU_dKyMUmyt-tE7VpgEceHlrajmWmFOrrtA9UVdfz9wC23ofvi5p4Mf8U_4_cISFhCIuhjUOi1-ULsxuRD0Ly7UDxrkwh3NJHUSdfIOTHKkW6vXs_GlQ6w1FfD3cSinxPQiPknsj31dM-CfndrNpRz8RYFVtCM3jBq9jw6c2WAubGUljqr6u_5jr46O90pKwREEcoYLurM98-LK8IUBKEdLgeDx5MTBSfgNSC4DlYmlZEhi73ln7u5sIyCpTaz2as38K_FOmtQ-pzD4ZTg4WlHvIt_EOp_uFTvbpLYGTS6-Q=w581-h382-no

In addition to offering more flexibility for new installations, the GDU 470 offers an easy upgrade path for first generation G3X customers. All displays in the G3X Touch family are fully pin compatible with the GDU 370 G3X displays and all of the installed remote mount and complimentary components can stay in the aircraft unchanged.

The GDU 470 outer dimensions are nearly identical to the GDU 370 dimensions. However, to help ease the transition from the GDU 370 to GDU 470 display, a steel drilling guide will also be available. Simply attach the drilling guide using the existing GDU 370 nutplate holes, drill new holes for the GDU 470 mounting screws and slightly enlarge the corners of the existing GDU 370 hole. Mount the GDU 470 and reuse the existing 50 pin d-sub connector. One of the less obvious benefits of upgrading to the new displays is you get 6 serial ports instead of the 3 on the GDU 37X series displays which gives you even more options to integrate complimentary hardware such as the GMC 307 autopilot controller. Please keep in mind that you cannot mix and match first generation G3X displays with G3X Touch displays.

GMU 11 Magnetometer

The new GMU 11 magnetometer is lighter weight and allows for more flexible installation than the previous generation magnetometer. It can be mounted in any of the four cardinal directions and is a CAN bus connected device capable of providing magnetic heading for original G3X, G3X Touch, and standalone G5 installations. Up to two GMU 11 magnetometers can be installed on the CAN bus for additional redundancy if desired. The GMU 11 will be sold for $275 MAP when purchased separately or as a supplemental magnetometer, but is also kitted with the core LRU kits (see next section for details). Additionally, the GMU 11 will be PMA’d and will enable our G5 electronic flight instrument to act as a DG/HSI replacement in 600+ models of certified aircraft. Read more about those updates in our press release here. Availability Q2 2017.

b4AkCVdbFKGBJ90QFJuJJz75IJQS5-eHtYIGul6O_aA8IDoQAoaxZkfgYmJnjyrZy63BaravDSgkghqepNeIQ_MANj8GRSrnh-69cZW6fW6mVsEu4JCNpffOkMwuJB3ZvF541H2B39ZSf2DNM6vqE71pCY9-5WbXALbtzwPxLSy3kAOmv0JwWgDsa1hCFdfzylshRN9CZILmXovY9gyYc9Mv6aclJamN_qXyS2aPhTqc8SbnffhDd5KI81AEkfU8HLJaFwvHakOGuTYbE1CTi47celNheL1U8seQhSXb6ruqZO2FON_EtQOCoEDPwemQpO7OzQrGT9Y9MLiWYNWfryA8um1n8BK25NqXVR4BCNlkLO8C-qMXA5Ez8Vy_bv2D_g43dhghuCrrcZV9qARENY1k8EqC4QYtC3iCvtgvCMWF5AAvvf070DgmiW5aluRVUUrxk23mNfPy0V0t4LIXYXaK8vJmsmJaiiDFokkRPgQI2fL8bjvA3u0Ulm7nQzBr3ZxT3oC1qAZcaC_xkGb-BETipyeBgFyWW7uVwRVWrONtCG-pbAEoGjHrzbbGf6_Uqfwh138Zm5wNFGqECTjfo6TSMS6cZ_sDWTS1g-t0zdWOCcga1clTZ-pjZ-zNw12ZVgKMQ4Yw82PNCkVkHfWiy6P7ZkgakHXdDOSnu82xQg=w341-h263-no

Simplified Pricing Structure

Finally, we are introducing a new more builder friendly pricing structure making it easier to buy components that match the stage of your build. Previously, displays were kitted with all the core system LRUs and we are excited to offer customers more flexibility with this a la carte approach.

The diagram below provides a quick overview of the new process. As an example, you can order your LRU kit and install the core remote mount pieces while you are working on the wings and fuselage. Then purchase your displays when you’re ready to build the panel. If you have a high-performance aircraft (exceeding 300 KIAS), be sure to purchase the high performance LRU kit.

CED4xL-TKAI7kXqLVA63oViYjr3dUaYT-dWDP_E3eHFuI-tFzCWtp0_nGq1bgspOMLADu9VqX6DEJ_X7EErsVHzzYJP5QGllfxnu2iIu4TQqBojJoowwnu07Lsny_GzbXzKJ0WbdqkJ9Mmn0QS1CYnz94PGiOmjjUvgo3jKtoJuhoTHQV2NQh1zqCiyp88-Yc2iOldCt_DiOzxmkcESsjs0iZUkUaujSvk8jWar7x3GpUSKMHIvBIzqwmi01In-oB1_wJZQqxR1Ftf4OJ_zUh_YwxENT4pozrHu7plN5ox2YQekdJbxyWIiwPWlhPWYJ7Ig7uOOXQJfVnZuujNPIInFvB4aie_j1-_qW-xVDl2g8XOrMYFHOuiVDSLvEOsc19W8oH2768uq8yovPkcmfsRcQOHvNicUku8wqe3_josgiOFSFBQge0_DCcfO0hiy5FyJJLZY6-mhyN1tdoOsA7XT-Tas8kJw0UjO-Gjl5vMIPtSO5jZGOJ0QXAHP-jVXC_65ltcyzmi6nwcLxXeGibGFTv8mbwSJV835gWjEzgTWKV3JuJJZYRlLMioXxdeUWkC1e6M4dg2q7Gh9PqUA5CMn3Mfm478LkidOB6iBSnonkzYyzSgldtXgc52EDwrctObNbFYITBx9pW6p6MZamdrb_LZJ30E1Vrj21sxTjvw=w786-h438-no

As usual, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us directly using the information in the signature line below. Or come see the new display at SNF! We’d love to talk to you in person.

Thanks,
Brian

Enabling MFD in single install mode

Greeting to all and best of the Season;
Im using this forum as a way of making a public request to Garmin X Group to enable the MFD function on the GDU 470 when its used only as a Back-Up PFD without any other G3X Touch installed.

In my plane I have a Garmin G900X set-up, and analog instruments as backup, Im installing the G3X 7" Portrait in the middle as replacement of the analog instruments.
I will have the GDL 52R giving me ADS-B In, will have the full ADHARS for the PFD function.
My request is to be able to use the full screen when I'm in VNC, Weather or Traffic mode rather than the bottom half of the PFD.
This could be achieved by having a disclaimer on the screen that the user would have to aknowledge.

There may be other users with various different type of Avionics that would like to have the 7" portrait GDU for the same functionality as Im planning to use it.

This could also be used as a gradual move to Garmin independent of what else you may have, its easier to find a 6.5" strip on the panel than to rip out everything.

Thank you

Last edited:
I currently have the dual screen G3X legacy (non-touch) products, the GDU 370 and GDU 375. What is the plan for my system, is there a GDU 475 that has Sirius XM?......

Good question above from 2017 that wasn't addressed;

For those with a legacy GDU-370 and a GDU-375 (with GTX-23ES & GDL39R), what is the most efficient path to retain XM capability when upgrading to dual GDU-470's?

The GDU-375 had internal XM but appears there is no GDU-475.

I assume the GDL-39R needs to be swapped for a GDL with XM capability? Does that affect the existing antenna situation?

Replace the GDL39 with a GDL52R, add the XM antenna, audio wiring to audio panel and second output wiring to MFD for WX/Trf.

Last edited:
Replace the GDL39 with a GDL52R, add the XM antenna, audio wiring to audio panel and second output wiring to MFD for WX/Trf.
Thanks, Walt.

I'm not sure if you can answer this but how is the GDU-375 receiving the XM signal if the GDL-52R would require the installation of an additional XM antenna?

Thanks, Walt.

I'm not sure if you can answer this but how is the GDU-375 receiving the XM signal if the GDL-52R would require the installation of an additional XM antenna?

You can use the current XM antenna that's plugged into the 375 if it's compatible with the GDL52.
The 52 installation manual will tell you which antennas it can use.

Back