What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surging problem with Eagle EMS

N729LS

Well Known Member
Patron
I am having a surging problem with the Precision Airmotive Eagle EMS installed on an IO-360-A1B6 with 10.5:1 pistons and a (very low inertia) Whirlwind 2-blade CS prop. The folks at P.A. have been responsive, but not really very helpful, since the designer left the company a while back and the system is out of production. :(

This surging occurs when the throttle is reduced or advanced into the 15-16" MP range if said change is done at anything more than dead slowly. If done very slowly, the engine will operate in that range without surging. Unfortunately I fly a lot of formation and very slow throttle movements are not part of the plan! :eek: I have been trying changes to the accel/decel gains in the controller without any luck, except for changing the frequency of the surging.

So I would like to talk to any other owner(s) of the Eagle EMS system and perhaps we can together figure out what to change in the many configuration and calibration options to eliminate this or at least damp it out.

Thanks,
Andy

Back