What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar space in Kansas City

KatieB

Well Known Member
Hi all,

It's been a crazy year. I've accepted a new job in Olathe and looking for a home for our Jabiru J200. She's a small high wing that fits nicely with a small RV in a normal sized T hangar. The closest hangar space I've found is an hour's drive away. So I'm putting out a request here in hopes that someone would like a hangar roommate.

AND... A friend of mine, TNMike, offered to buy the RV3 literally the same day I got the job. I knew he would finish it and fly it pretty quick. So, to avoid moving it again, I decided it was time. My husband's RV8 tail is hanging in my office, so that one might get a slow-build wing kit after we get settled.

Life rolls on!

Hi Katie,

I will keep an eye out at K81 where I keep my plane. It is about a 25 minute drive from Olathe down HWY 169.

It is also the home of the We-Be-Smokin BBQ restaurant, and generally pretty competitive fuel prices, so it is a popular place to fly-in.

As you probably already learned, KOJC, which is just down the street from Garmin, suffered extensive wind damage in March, with many hangar positions still not available, so this is making hangars extra hard to find in the area.

Good luck and welcome to the area.

Steve

Hangar

Katie,

There are some temporary OJC transplants at the airport where I hangar but it is a hike from OJC. We are at Midwest National (KGPH) at the other end of the metroplex. It could be a temporary solution until something closer came up. Probably the same distance and less expensive is Coffey County further south.

Good luck and welcome to KC!
John

You could try KLXT, in Lees Summit. It is about 30min away from Olathe. There is a big EAA presence there with hangers.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice!

We found a hangar of our own in Topeka (KTOP). It's a hike from Olathe, but we'll be living halfway there in Lawrence. I really like it there. House-piled-on-house suburbia is definitely NOT my thing :eek: but the small-town atmosphere in Lawrence is nice.

I got to visit the KLXT EAA chapter hangars last year when I attended the AEA G3X installation class. I was amazed!! Someday maybe we can get in there, but right now there's a waiting list, like everywhere else! They are tearing out the shade hangars for a taxiway upgrade, but they are not replacing all of them with new T's. He said they might have room there next summer, but their rates are pretty high. We also visited the VAA chapter in Gardner. They seem like a cool bunch, too, but they have a waiting list a mile long.

Seems to me there is a huge opportunity in the KC area for an investor to build some hangars at a GA-friendly airport. They'd fill up instantly. Anyone have a few spare dollars? From the managers I talked to, it seems like the airport boards are more interested in the fast-buck from jet fuel sales and less in the slow return from a GA community. One of them has space in the community hangar, but they don't like small planes in there long-term because they "get in the way." Some of them have new hangars in the long term plan but other projects to do first, like runways and taxiways. I guess those are important too. One thing is for sure though, everyone we met there was very friendly, and I'm looking forward to heading back north!

Back