What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proper grounding of Comant VOR antenna

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I bought a Comant CI 158C Vee Dipole that I want to mount on top of the VS. The instructions really didn't explain how to properly ground the antenna. I thought it would be through the bolts but it looks like the casing of the antenna is non metallic. I see a flange at the base of the BNC connector which looks to me like it should be the ground so...........what I was going to do is drill a hole in the web of the top rib of the VS just large enough for the 1/2" flange to touch around it's perimeter (snug fit). Will this be adequate or should I be looking at some other way of accomplishing the mission?

Thanks!

Knowledgeable people will weigh in here soon...

but classic dipole antennas, vee or otherwise, are seldom grounded except through the coax shield back at the radio chassis. This may be the answer. If gamma-match fed, ignore what I said; they can be grounded then for static dissipation.

but classic dipole antennas, vee or otherwise, are seldom grounded except through the coax shield back at the radio chassis. This may be the answer. If gamma-match fed, ignore what I said; they can be grounded then for static dissipation.

Thanks Bill. I'm not seeing anything in the antenna specs that indicate that it is "gamma matched fed". Hopefully that you are correct about the lack of need for grounding then. That makes it simpler.

Back