What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would you leave this rivet?

AlinNS

Well Known Member
Below are a couple of pictures of an RV14 HS-1004 Inspar Rib. Notice that the the rivet in the middle doesn't look like the ones on either side of it. I managed to drop the bucking bar and hit the rivet causing the skin around it to be deformed... kinda like a crappy looking dimple:( The rib is .025 and so is the flange behind it.

I've considered: 1. Leaving it; 2. Remove it and flatten. This would allow me to check for any cracks around the hole. 3. Flatten it while the rivet is in place.

Before, I check with Van's, figured I'd check here first in case others have managed to do this too. Thanks for any help.

The pictures do make it look worse than it is.

HS-1004%20Inspar%20Rib%20Dent2_zpskwwompww.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

HS-1004%20Inspar%20Rib%20Dent1_zpsomcbfmq4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just to clarify, my concern isn't the quality of the rivet, but in the deformation of the skin around it.

Thanks.

Regarding the deformation, definitely leave it alone. A skilled auto-body guy might be able to smooth it out but anyone else is just going to make it worse. As slight as it is, it should not be a structural concern and your other best option is to replace the part entirely. As mentioned before, anything you do will likely make it worse.

Back