What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avionics repair shop for experimental aircraft is there a need

joe1968

Well Known Member
Considering opening up a avionics and instrument repair shop would the experimental community be receptive

Yes and no. Most of the avionics manufactures require that their product(s) go back to the factory for repair and charge a FLAT fee. Would you be able to provide the same service at a lower charge?

Yes, I have several years of repair experience in a faa certified shop and woulD be able to offer repairs at better rates and quality repairs

One has to wonder how many of the modern avionics can even be repaired in the field by someone other than the manufacturer. At least anything other than simple stuff.

I would be interested in having someone come to my airport to check my install and fix any issues. Then spend a few hours making sure I know how everything works.

That would Definetly be a service that would be offered we are even consider building panels, I guess this post is to get a feel for the services that would be of interest

Thanks guys , we will be setup soon, we promise to offer quality , very reasonable and great support to community will keep you all posted as we go forward again thanks very much for the positive commentsy

Joe
There is definitely a need.
While a person can always send the box back to the factory for repair.
Many times the problem is not inside the box but outside the box.
My experience has been that some shops just don't want to touch something "experimental".
I guess they think they will get some kind of disease.
Good luck in your venture.
Guido

I would love it if there was a somewhat nearby avionics shop that would do a good job working with experimental aircraft.

When I was building my Midget Mustang and installing the electrical system, I was most certainly in the situation of having more time than money. Even if I was ridiculously slow and inefficient in designing and installing my avionics systems, it was my only option.

Now, a decade later, doing it myself is still my only option because the only avionics shops within any reasonable distance only deal with type-certified aircraft. I know the local guy would absolutely have kittens if he was asked to work with the ATO blade style fuses in my plane---even though all my avionics are first class.

For example I have a GX60 that works fine, but needs the photoelectric cell that controls screen brightness changed. Yes I would have that done at a reasonable charge if there was not the Garmin $500. dollar bench fee. The unit went back under warrantee and had the screen replaced, but that was not the problem....

I am sure people will use your services. Is there a living at it? Or is this a retirement / hobby business? Can you operate out of your garage at home or how much rent and overhead do you want?

Best of Luck!

It will be my second job in the evenings, I have a shop in my garage now so overhead will be down but who knows maybe I will expand as my reputation grows and thanks for the encouragement. This is my way of being involved in aviation been in maintenance most of my life.

Last edited:
Joe, wanna look at a ZAON MRX?

My ZAON MRX no longer displays messages properly. Whereas the LED display used to offer information concerning nearby airplanes, now the LED display is gibberish.

I re-seated the ribbon cable connecting the LED display to the main board to no avail.

If you would like to look at it, send me an address and I will mail it. If you can't fix it, you can keep it for parts but if it can be fixed at a reasonable price, I'd like it back. Thx Joe. Send info as required.

Joe, status of my ZAON

Hi Joe. I shipped my ZAON to you 2 weeks ago. Have you received it?

Thanks.

ZAON - sent it to you in Nov 2015

Joe:

I shipped my defective ZAON to you in Nov 2015. You replied that you found the problem and planned to fly it/test it. Can you please tell me the status and when u will ship it back to me?

I left a message at your number 716-400-4081 on 1/8/2016 and would appreciate an update.

Thx.

Barry

It will be shipped tommorrow still had issues after flying, retested Wednesday all set .

Thanks joe

One of my pet peeves is lack of communication. I would love to have an avionics option but if it takes 6-8 weeks turnaround with virtually no communication in between, I will take my chances with the big shops...

Joe, my ZAON has not arrived

It will be shipped tommorrow still had issues after flying, retested Wednesday all set .

Thanks joe

Joe:

On Jan 8, you said it will ship tomorrow. As of this message, Jan 21, the ZAON I sent you in November has not arrived. If you have a tracking number please send it.

Thanks.

Back