What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 & IO-360-B1E

Just the sump

I have one of these in the Glasair I just finished. You could change the engine to an updraft or forward induction simply by changing the oil pan. Either would make the build more straightforward since there are many examples of both types already flying. That said, if you were willing to do a good bit of fiberglass work to modify the cowl you could end up with a truly unique and beautiful airplane. The Glasair Super II uses a large NACA scoop on the side of the cowl to feed the rear induction. If you did this you could eliminate the existing RV8 chin scoop altogether. Since the NACA is entirely internal there would be no protrusions from the cowl. It would be quite sleek.

What you seek to do is a great deal of extra work and will add considerable time to your build. You might consider selling the oil pan to get one with a more conventional arrangement for the RV8. The IO-360 B1E is used mostly on Piper Arrows and the aforementioned Glasair II. If you decide to proceed with your engine I can give you drawings and specifications for the NACA.

B1E

The Sump is the only difference. I have one in my 8 and bought a superior cold induction forward facing sump. A lycoming forward facing sump will work as well. They use the smooth cowl. Vertical induction sump uses the cowl with the air scoop. The rest of the engine is just a parallel valve 360 Lycoming.

Sorry.

You may not wish to hear this. We make our own as has been said above. The fittings and hose are stock, but we get the good gauges from off the Snap-On truck. You can buy good gauges from many other suppliers. You may wish to make you up a set so you will have them around. The fuel system you have is a very good one and yes it is modeled off the old IO-conti. engine system. You will not need to check it to often as it is solid once set up. However for only a couple hundred bucks it is nice to hook it up for your yearly check-up or every other year. Hope this helps. Yours as always R.E.A. III #808888

Sorry guys!

Sorry, I was on a remote link with a little note-book I had borrowed yesterday, so I seam to have hit the post I wanted to place in this thread.
My Bad! Yours as always R.E.A. #80888

Back