What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPhone as emergency locator?

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
We were shopping for a PLB when I thought of all the stuff the new iPhone 5 does.
Is there an app for personal locator that would work?

Could be, if paired with a satellite device

the deLorme InReach,and SPOT's Connect turn your cel into a sat phone.
of course, it's not a $5 app, it's a $150 gadget, plus a $100 annual subscription.
Plus, they add tracking and other features you phone doesn't have.
Then there's the battery issue; gotta keep all these things charged at all times.! :rolleyes:

Spot2.

I recently purchased the Spot2 from Aircradt Spruce for a yacht delivery
Up the east coast. Worked very well at giving a GPS
Position. It is programmable for multiple email recipients and has a manual or automatic
Position update.
You can give an Ok position message, send help, or SOS emergency to authorities.
Nice product. My friends and family loved knowing we were ok and could
Track our position. No cell phone needed.

Last edited:
Spot 3

If looking for options and not interested in the aprs tracker guys use here, i would strongly recommend the spot 3.

I have had several spots over the years and the three is a huge improvement. Lays down tracks every 5 min instead of 10 and has an auto off switch and motion sensor, and is incredible on battery life.

It sits in my plane 24/7. Puts itself to sleep, and I get an email whenever movement is detected and it turns itself on and starts laying down tracks. Perfect for trips...its literally always tracking if there is any movement.

Just an idea. Its about $130 and then about another $150 a year for unlimited tracking. There are coupons around the net to take $50 off the subscription. Not realy cheap but for the money you cant really beat it.

Our Idaho aeronautics division hosted a SAR/survival presentation. SAR will look for cell emissions, particularly useful in the backcountry if they have some idea where to start looking. Just turn on your phone, no app needed.

John Siebold

I noticed that fore flight has a search and rescue option under its settings now. Turn on or off. This software is changing faster than the glass panels. ;)

We were shopping for a PLB when I thought of all the stuff the new iPhone 5 does. Is there an app for personal locator that would work?
Any smartphone needs wifi or cell signal to send a signal, something you may not have in the vast expanses. The PLBs in contrast communicate with satellites. However Glympse and similar apps are good for letting folks back home see where you are when you land in civilization.

I just contracted HughesNet for rural satellite internet. They also tried to upsell me satellite phone for $20/mo more. I don't know what the hardware requirement might be, but the Fore flight search & rescue, or other phone app might be good with satellite phone service?
Spot subscription seem a lot for the small amount it's used. You use the phone all the time. you carry your phone all the time. If Satellite phone is competitive with cell phone for price now...

Fastfind PLB

We carry one of these PLBs in the aircaft where I work. They ae small and really light weight. I have not needed to turn on one and rely on it, but the reviews I have read are encouraging. $250 for the device but no subscription fees.

Here is the company website

Fastfind

Here is a review

http://www.equipped.org/McMurdoNewFastFind.htm

I am going to order one for my aircraft survival / backpack kit.

Iphone

Yesterday My iPhone flew out of my plane probably 1000 feet agl(Negative G's with my canopy slid back. Pitts S1) and landed in a corn field. Got my iPad out and opened Find my IPhone and to my surprise it was sending a signal. My iPad has cell service in it and I was able to drive within probably 500 feet of where the signal was. Walked thru the corn field to where I thought I was close and hit the play sound button. Found the phone undamaged about 50 feet away. Probably wouldn't work if the phone breaks or the battery goes dead.

We carry one of these PLBs in the aircaft where I work. They ae small and really light weight. I have not needed to turn on one and rely on it, but the reviews I have read are encouraging. $250 for the device but no subscription fees.

Here is the company website

Fastfind

Here is a review

http://www.equipped.org/McMurdoNewFastFind.htm

I am going to order one for my aircraft survival / backpack kit.

I did purchase one of these at sun n fun for $230 years ago. It goes any where, waterproof, no subscription, replace your own batteries, small size. :)

aprs or spot benefits

The reason I spent the money on the spot 3 and am going to set up an aprs system is that I have found it is a lot of fun giving friends and family the web page and they can track all your flights in real time. Both for safety and entertainment of those that cant fly along. Even pilot and paws flights have used it to see my arrival time at other airports for pick ups. Its been very handy.

I lend my spot out when i dont need it. An rv buddy just returned from a trip from Ontario to Utah, Colorado, Texas and Arizon. Having his friends and family watch in real time progress on the internet on google earth is pretty cool. We could zoom right down and see what runway he used, what weather was ahead, and even where he parked on the tarmac each day. Well worth a bit of a premium over a simple plb that only gets turned on if disaster strikes and you are able and remember to activate it.

TK had an aprs system that tracked his flights, my guess is the track will be hugely valuable to investigators. Just putting that out there for people considering a plb over a tracking sytem. If you are unable to activate the plb, a track is of way more value too. Just food for thought, no system is perfect.

Last edited:
Back