What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nose gear tube problem

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I was assembling the nosewheel for my 9A this evening, and ran into a problem with the tube. This is the standard Vans parts list, direct from them in the kit, and the nosewheel tube valvestem is too long. It will not clear the nosewheel fork.

I'll obviously need a different tube - which tube are you guys running that uses a shorter valvestem for the nosewheel?

i7sp.jpg

Greg it looks like you installed a main wheel tube. The smaller one for nose wheel has shorter stem. I replaced at least three all of them with short stems.

Last edited:
I had 2 tubes with the short stems for the mains, and this one with the longer stem for the nose, are all the tubes identical size? If so I'll just get another similar to the ones I used on the mains.

Those two with shorter stems are BOTH for the nose. Vans usually ships two because it's so easy to pinch installing first time. My guess is you mixed them up but I was wrong before :)

PS They all are of different sizes. You can fit the main tube into front wheel but can't do vice versa. It's a possibility you received wrong tubes.

Last edited:
The nose wheel uses the 11/400-5 while the mains are 500-5. I've never seen a 11/400-5 with a long stem.

Valve stem cap?

I know with the -10 I had to remove the yellow cap in order for the valve stem to clear the nose fork.

Looks like I'm going to pull all of them apart today to verify part numbers and make sure I know what I've got, and get them in the verified correct location. I'm about 98% certain I only have 3 tubes total - I'll have to go through all my boxes again carefully to make sure, but right now I'm fairly sure Van's shipped me two nosewheel tubes and only one main.

For future reference, aircraft tubes air designed to be nearly net size to teh tire the go inside of. I.E. if you put in just enough air to make them fill out, they will be about the same size as the tire the are intended to go in.

Looks like I'm going to pull all of them apart today to verify part numbers and make sure I know what I've got, and get them in the verified correct location. I'm about 98% certain I only have 3 tubes total - I'll have to go through all my boxes again carefully to make sure, but right now I'm fairly sure Van's shipped me two nosewheel tubes and only one main.

Greg, ditch those pack front wheel bearings. You will be super glad you did! :)

Well you guys were right (as you already knew you were), I had the wrong tubes. I was just certain that I had only three tubes delivered to me, and put the matching pair in the mains and the odd one on the nose - but after digging down in the bottom of some boxes I found the 4th tube - sure enough I had the nosewheel tubes in the mains, and manage to cram a mainwheel tube in the nose. All is corrected today.

Greg, ditch those pack front wheel bearings. You will be super glad you did! :)

Darrel - you've got my attention - what are the options?

The Beringer nose wheel is another great option, it also has the benefit of using a tubless design :D

Back