What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HC-C2YR-1BF/F7666A-4 Prop?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Thought I would start a new thread for this question.

I have found this overhauled prop at a prop shop and I think this is the CS prop before the BA prop came out. Anyone using this prop and what are the pro's & con's? The price seems reasonable at $4500.

Thanks again. This site is fantastic.

I've used that prop in the past and it was very fast and efficient.
There are some RPM limitations. This is from the Van's web site:

The Hartzell Propeller Model HC-C2YR-1BF/F7666A-2 is satisfactory vibrationwise mounted on
Lycoming model O-360-A1A and similar engines rated at 180 HP at 2700 RPM and equipped
with Lightspeed Plasma II electronic ignition installed in Van?s Aircraft Model RV-8 and similar
single engine tractor aircraft with the following operating restrictions.
1. Avoid continuous operation between 2000 and 2250 RPM.
2. Operation above 2600 RPM is limited to takeoff. As soon as practical after takeoff the RPM
should be reduced to 2600 RPM or less.
3. The propeller blades are life limited and must be retired upon reaching 8700 hours.
The propeller diameter limits are 74 to 72 inches.

the -4 on the end means the diameter is 76 -4 = 72" so no further reduction is allowed. Those RPM restrictions apply for both electronic and standard magneto ignition.

Yes-Good Prop

What Mark said.....

I have flown my -6, 0-360 for 1100TT and my hangar mate has flown his -6, 0-360 with one for 450TT. We like the prop. Good value, especially in the used market.
One thing to watch when buying used props is history. If I am not mistaken a prop shop can straighten a blade and yellow tag it without disclosing any history. Also, if I am not mistaken a certified overhaul includes stripping the blades and re-milling them, then fresh paint. This process can only be done 3 times in the life of the blade. So it is best, if there is no damage to the blades that just an inspection and re-seal be done. Not everyone knows this information and the prop shops love overhauling them. And of course overhauling could be best as it allows a more through inspection, etc. Pretty sure an overhaul is about 2K and a reseal is about 800.
Not knowing the history, the 4500 is in the ballpark as a new BA prop is 7775 from Vans with no discount, shipping or spinner. The newer BA prop is said to be about 2knots faster.

Full disclosure: My hangar mate just purchased a new WW 74HRT at SNF. He will be selling his HC-C2YK-1BF, F666A-4 and shipping in about 7 weeks when the new WW arrives. 700hrs TT never overhauled but resealed in 2009 by H&H-Triad in NC. (KBUY). Prop comes complete with Van's spinner assembly as it is on the -6 now, painted green, with prop logs/history. He will be asking 4500.

That max 2600 rpm restriction is interesting; I don't recall ever seeing that on a c/s prop. (Midrange restrictions are common.) Is that from the Hartzell TC?

If it's truly limited to 2600 rpm continuous, it means you won't be able to operate at 75% power at altitude. Not a big deal if you operate in 'economy cruise' all the time, but if you like to use the speed advantages of an RV.....

Thanks for the info on the -4 meaning and info about the overhauls. I will get more info from the prop shop.

What Mark said.....

I have flown my -6, 0-360 for 1100TT and my hangar mate has flown his -6, 0-360 with one for 450TT. We like the prop. Good value, especially in the used market.
One thing to watch when buying used props is history. If I am not mistaken a prop shop can straighten a blade and yellow tag it without disclosing any history. Also, if I am not mistaken a certified overhaul includes stripping the blades and re-milling them, then fresh paint. This process can only be done 3 times in the life of the blade. So it is best, if there is no damage to the blades that just an inspection and re-seal be done. Not everyone knows this information and the prop shops love overhauling them. And of course overhauling could be best as it allows a more through inspection, etc. Pretty sure an overhaul is about 2K and a reseal is about 800.
Not knowing the history, the 4500 is in the ballpark as a new BA prop is 7775 from Vans with no discount, shipping or spinner. The newer BA prop is said to be about 2knots faster.

Full disclosure: My hangar mate just purchased a new WW 74HRT at SNF. He will be selling his HC-C2YK-1BF, F666A-4 and shipping in about 7 weeks when the new WW arrives. 700hrs TT never overhauled but resealed in 2009 by H&H-Triad in NC. (KBUY). Prop comes complete with Van's spinner assembly as it is on the -6 now, painted green, with prop logs/history. He will be asking 4500.

What Bob and Mark said....

Prop shops can make the blades and hub look brand new and put a pretty little yellow tag on it and call it serviceable. While it may be serviceable, it may not be desirable. As Bob said, the tips are at the minimum diameter and the blades could be milled to their minimum thickness. In addition the hub (based on serial number) could be affected by an AD requiring repetitive check. That would be worth investigating. A prop hub affected by the AD is serviceable, but nearly worthless. Blades milled and cut to minimum dimensions are probably worth $1000-1500 each. Also, as Bob said, the new BA props are worth at least 2 knots more, but I bet it's closer to 4-5 knots.

I would buy new.

Understanding the RPM restriction....

Do I read this correctly to mean that the RPM restrictions (particularly the 2600 RPM at cruise constraint) only apply if partnered with Lightspeed or other electronic ignition? Or does it apply to a dual magneto installation?

I hope I didnt miss an obvious answer in my previous reading. Thanks for considering.

Do I read this correctly to mean that the RPM restrictions (particularly the 2600 RPM at cruise constraint) only apply if partnered with Lightspeed or other electronic ignition? Or does it apply to a dual magneto installation?

I hope I didnt miss an obvious answer in my previous reading. Thanks for considering.

My understanding is that the 2600 rpm restriction only applies to electronic ignition, but the continuous operation between 2000 and 2250 RPM applies to all 180HP O-360 models.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Hartzell_c2yk.pdf

"My understanding is that the 2600 rpm restriction only applies to electronic ignition, but the continuous operation between 2000 and 2250 RPM applies to all 180HP O-360 models."

Just to clarify, these restrictions do not apply to counterweighted O-360's like the A1F6, if I'm reading my Hartzell Owner's Manual correctly.

I have this prop with the -4 designation at the end (HC-CZYK-1BF/F7666A-4) the statement below doesn't make sense where he describes the -4 is 76 diameter then says -4=72. Dos the -4 have the same operation limitations as the 72-74 inch props. Please elaborate! I wear this prop on a 200hp Io360

[/QUOTE]
The Hartzell Propeller Model HC-C2YR-1BF/F7666A-2 is satisfactory vibrationwise mounted on
Lycoming model O-360-A1A and similar engines rated at 180 HP at 2700 RPM and equipped
with Lightspeed Plasma II electronic ignition installed in Van’s Aircraft Model RV-8 and similar
single engine tractor aircraft with the following operating restrictions.
1. Avoid continuous operation between 2000 and 2250 RPM.
2. Operation above 2600 RPM is limited to takeoff. As soon as practical after takeoff the RPM
should be reduced to 2600 RPM or less.
3. The propeller blades are life limited and must be retired upon reaching 8700 hours.
The propeller diameter limits are 74 to 72 inches.

the -4 on the end means the diameter is 76 -4 = 72" so no further reduction is allowed. Those RPM restrictions apply for both electronic and standard magneto ignition.[/QUOTE]

The restrictions of this prop are for a non counter balance Lycoming. It was designed for 180hp 360's. Mostly used on older Mooney's and Piper's. If your IO-360 is a counter balance engine the RPM restrictions wouldn't apply, being EXP you have no restrictions or size limits. It's really on you.

Back