What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mating 601 hose to 816 fittings

Aeroquip 816 ( different than AN816) is a cutter style hose end. The tapered section around the stem actually traps a thin wall of the rubber liner as it cuts into the hose. This seals the hose to the stem when the fitting tightens up.
Take the collar and turn it 1/4 loose so the hose sits slightly lower in the collar. LUBE the hose so the cutter section can 'slice' the hose. Tighten it up.

One issue on 'reusing' a 816 'reusable' hose end is digging out the out section of hose thats now trapped inside the cavity between the stem and the cutter section. if you dont remove it, it will not seal, and you may NOT be able to reinstall the fitting. If its a used fitting, check that.

Tom

As Tom noted:
I've never had success trying to dig that compacted rubber out of the cavity of a used Aeroquip 816 fitting, being concerned about damaging the fitting while digging, or personal concern of damaging my hand, slipping while attempting to dig it out. I have always opted to replace with a new fitting.

Ralph, I really havent had an angled pick small enough, or strong enough to dig out the rubber. Teflon is better anyway.

Tom

Back